Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stakhovsky:"If you travel with a coach as a top100 player, you earn 20-30.000$/year"

"If you’re in the top 100 in the rankings and you travel with just one trainer, you’ll end up with a modest surplus of USD 20-30,000 a year," reckons Ukrainian Sergiy Stakhovsky, a member of the ATP Player Council, and one of the active leaders in the movement for fair prize money. If you take the top 100 football teams or golfers, or top 100 players of any sport broadcast on TV for that matter, their earnings will be disproportionately more. Who’s at fault for this? "The Slams put the squeeze on everything. If they start to share out the income more, it will make sense to break into the top 100," states Stakhovsky. "But, it’s possible that some people will think it’s absurd that a player who has lost in the very first round can earn USD 50-100,000. But think of what he has invested just to get there and play. Flying to Australia is a feat in itself as it takes 24 hours. I certainly wouldn’t think of flying economy there. That’s just unrealistic."

How much does a "decent journeyman" earn on the men’s tour? What kind of income does he earn and how much actually ends up in his pocket? Let’s do the math. Fortunately, Benjamin Becker, ranked 40 in the ATP rankings, is quite happy to estimate what his actual earnings are for us along with our colleagues from the German monthly "Tennis Magazin".

"All the Grand Slams and ATP 1000 tournaments are mandatory for the stars," explains Benjamin Becker. "That’s why their organisers don’t pay any appearance money. But the lower-level tournaments – "250" series – which barely make ends meet, need to pay out huge sums to attract the top players."

"Many talented players fall by the wayside because they’re not able to pay for travel to tournaments off their own racquet," says the German. "The prize money is too little in the lower categories of tournaments – Challengers and satellites."

According to his own calculations, Becker spent last year around EUR 130,000 on a trainer, food, flights and equipment. Sergiy Stakhovsky spends even more – around EUR 170,000 all in. "After the Masters tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami, I was around 5,000 in the red," says Stakhovsky. "And, basically, there are no cheap hotels in Indian Wells. The cheapest room costs USD 144 a night. Prize money is also taxed at 38%. So, you arrive there at least four days before the tournament starts. You spend a minimum of three and a half weeks in the States. You pay for a trainer (weekly salary) plus food, hotel… And what about flights?"

"I mainly fly economy", says Stakhovsky. "We can’t actually buy tickets early. And you can’t buy cheap tickets either. We often buy them on the day we’re flying. We’re talking about different figures again. Last year 85,000 [translator: not sure if this is euros or dollars given that amounts were quoted in euros previous paragraph.] went on tickets alone. I earned USD 428,000. We deduct, on average, 30% from this amount for tax. These are the sums involved."

Winners of Challenger tournaments are paid USD 5-15,000. This means that, just to offset their transport costs, players need to win almost every week. "Playing at Challenger level, you can just about still retain professional status, which is not the case with Futures," comments Becker. He uses the term "professional" to mean that a player can pay for the services of a trainer and transport costs only from prize money.

Unlike the highly lucrative advertising contracts enjoyed by elite players such as Federer or Djokovic, who travel around the world with a whole entourage including trainers, physios and stringers, Benjamin Becker makes do with the services of one trainer. He’s never had his own physio. Most of his fellow players, like him, share one physio provided by the ATP. This obviously doesn’t help reduce the level of injury suffered by players on the tour, who come out on court and play with injuries that haven’t healed until the pain becomes unbearable. In the lower echelons of the world rankings, where players can only rely on prize money, it becomes a desperate battle for survival. "It’s getting even tougher," admits Becker, fully aware of the practices that go on in Challengers and Futures from first-hand experience.

Apart from being excessively motivated, one of the main features of the life of those typically featuring at the lower ranking levels is total thrift. As Becker explains, "Everyone tries to save as much as they can. In the US I have always stayed with families. I arrived at one tournament in Ecuador in a taxi without any doors. The road twisted and turned through the mountains and I was glad to get there alive!"

And one final recollection from Becker. In the soup he was served in the players’ restaurant he found a… screw. True enough, it’s not just the players that are scrimping and saving, but the poor tournaments too…

https://tennistranslations.wordpress.com/2015/04/10/riches-and-poverty-on-the-atp-tour/

·
Registered
444 Posts
Re: Stakhovsky:"If you travel with a coach as a top100 player, you earn 20-30.000$/ye

Damn. Interesting read, especially considering these are all relatively high ranked players

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Re: Stakhovsky:"If you travel with a coach as a top100 player, you earn 20-30.000$/ye

I wonder if he means money he is saving ie: banking or not, I mean even though his numbers are much higher than mine, i still need to deduct food and rent from my salary.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts

I thought at least the TOP50 lived very comfortably

·
Registered
6,233 Posts

20/30K for a top100 player it's not that bad....wth he pretends?

·
Registered
893 Posts

I wonder if he means money he is saving ie: banking or not
I was wondering the same thing.

Still it is an interesting subject, do they deserve more or should they sell themselves more? E.g. actively look for sponsors? Tennis is often looked at as a rich man sport but the top 100-500 aren't rich compared to the big sports. But of course there are other sports where athletes have to have sidejobs to make a living... It remains difficult...

·
Banned
4,868 Posts

I was wondering the same thing.

Still it is an interesting subject, do they deserve more or should they sell themselves more? E.g. actively look for sponsors? Tennis is often looked at as a rich man sport but the top 100-500 aren't rich compared to the big sports. But of course there are other sports where athletes have to have sidejobs to make a living... It remains difficult...
I think that TOP 10-500 aren't rich compared to a lot of other sports.
Yet, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic are some of the richest athletes in the world.

Very interesting.

·
Your visions will happen
50,989 Posts

Stakhovsky is full of shit, 144 USD a night in a hotel? I just found tons of hotels in IW for 50-75 USD a night so that is total bullshit

The flights, ok, you need to pay for them two weeks in advance

But why do you need a fitness trainer? Why are you not your own fitness trainer? You need some guy to tell you which exercises to do?

·
Registered
878 Posts

Stakhovsky is full of shit, 144 USD a night in a hotel? I just found tons of hotels in IW for 50-75 USD a night so that is total bullshit

The flights, ok, you need to pay for them two weeks in advance

But why do you need a fitness trainer? Why are you not your own fitness trainer? You need some guy to tell you which exercises to do?
You do realize that during the tournament, everything goes up including hotel costs. Right?

Harry

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

This is not new info if your outside the top 100 you barely make a livung sure 20,000$ a year is only 400$ a week you'd make that in your local supermarket. This is why I love GS qualies as players put there heart and soul on the court so they can make enough money to travel to events throughout the year. Sad in a way as if you think the 100th best footballer in the world is probably on 100,000$ a week

·
Your visions will happen
50,989 Posts

You do realize that during the tournament, everything goes up including hotel costs. Right?

Harry
You can still buy the hotel in advance and save money

No way in hell 144 USD/night is the cheapest, no way in hell. You don't have to stay at the 4 seasons, Sergiy

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

You can still buy the hotel in advance and save money

No way in hell 144 USD/night is the cheapest, no way in hell. You don't have to stay at the 4 seasons, Sergiy
But you dont know how long you need the hotel for :shrug: depends on how well you do

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

Thanks for this it is tough these guys are NOT in the same world as Gilles Simon. Although Simon says a lot too he was ranked top 10 he is a solid top 25 player and he has made $9 million dollars. Benjamin and this Ukraninan guy got it a lot tougher.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

I thought the ATP Tour PAYS for FOOD for the players? I am surprised they pay for their own FOOD. I also thought during the slams or masters the ATP helps with paying for hotel rooms did not know that.

·
Your visions will happen
50,989 Posts

But you dont know how long you need the hotel for :shrug: depends on how well you do
So you buy it for a week and see what's going on

It is really not rocket science. And if you are there longer than you expect, that means you are still in the tournament and can afford

Get me in their shoes, top 100, I 1000% guarantee I can make it work financially

#1 thing, every tournament has an official "tournament hotel" that is usually the most expensive place around. Food, you can save money there. You can always, always, always save money

·
Registered
5,230 Posts

I think that TOP 10-500 aren't rich compared to a lot of other sports.
Yet, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic are some of the richest athletes in the world.

Very interesting.
It's the same story for all individual sports.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

I thought the ATP Tour PAYS for FOOD for the players? I am surprised they pay for their own FOOD. I also thought during the slams or masters the ATP helps with paying for hotel rooms did not know that.
The weird thing about the world is that when your at the top you get everything free yet you have the money and when your a journeyman you pay for everything yet you could do with it :eek:

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

It is really not rocket science. And if you are there longer than you expect, that means you are still in the tournament and can afford

Get me in their shoes, top 100, I 1000% guarantee I can make it work financially

#1 thing, every tournament has an official "tournament hotel" that is usually the most expensive place around. Food, you can save money there. You can always, always, always save money
Why book it for the week if you go out in 1st round its pissing money away. If you book in advance and get 75$ a night and you stay for a week thats more than 144$ night by night

·
Registered
14,852 Posts

Spot on.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts