Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ivashka started really well and had 5 BPs in the 1st game which Shapo managed to save - some by really clutch play, some by fortune. Ivashka then held his serve with relative ease and it looked like the beginning of a close match.

But Denis took hold and won 7 games in a row, outplaying Ivashka in every aspect. And Ivashka didn't play bad at all.

When Denis serves like he did today his whole game consolidates. He gets in this zone where he is unplayable. It's almost Federer-like. When he can dictate points and not be pinned to the baseline (or behind) he's extremely hard to beat. The court conditions are perfect for his game. Medium fast indoor hardcourt is I would think a lot of players (including Ivashka) favourite surface, so he's not exactly alone there.

What worried me slightly (I always worry) is Denis's over confidence after he got the break directly in the 2nd set. After that he played really loose in Ivashka's serve games - almost tanking them. Maybe he just felt so sure but in reality there is no room for that in top level tennis. Two breaks up you can take a few wild chances, one break up is so easily lost and thus the whole match picture could suddenly shift. But niggles aside a great match by Denis!

Really interesting next match vs Wawrinka.

·
Super Moderator
10,760 Posts
Yes pretty good quality today from Denis, served at high % , will be interesting which Stan shows up

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I haven't seen it all but Denis looks fantastic. I agree with Denis denis that indoor hard really suits his game (the Canadian special!) and can't wait to see him against Waw.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Man, if he serves like this during the rest of the tournament he'll probably take the title. I feel if covid didn't happen he'd be in top 10 now, he seems to have made some strides this year.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Shapovalov looked great in both matches here. Close to the very best I've ever seen from him. The court indeed suits his game very well. Fast enough to make his strokes lethal but not too fast to mess up his swing and return. And yes, when he serves so well, everything just flows. And really shows how high his ceiling is.
Wawrinka, otoh, has been sloppy and unconvincing. Perhaps he doesn't care much, perhaps that's the only Stan left at this stage of his career. Hopefully, it will be a mouthwatering encounter no matter what. Both ruins and glee guaranteed.

Reactions: Denis denis
1 - 7 of 7 Posts