Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Paragraph 1: Use of small sample size.
Paragraph 2: Saying do not consider arguments presented because of small sample size
Paragraph 3: Use of small sample size.

By the way, I obviously see your point about small sample size, but tennis is a small sample size sport unfortunately.
Critical failure to distinguish between an argument and a sentiment. The former involves strong belief (in its correctness). Of course, English speakers like to apply "argue" rather generally, ranging from a constructed logical argument to a value statement to quarreling; an interesting reflection of their implicit world-view. I believe, of course, that you understood correctly what I meant to say but chose to retort out of pettiness. Too bad.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
And yet, he has 2 top 10 wins this year, compared to 4 top 10 wins last year. The only leap he has made is that he beats players ranked outside the top 50 now at an insane rate, but players inside the top 50, he is just ok (for a higher ranked player) and not good vs top 10.

If you are trying to say he is amazing because he beats players outside the top 50, I can agree with that. I was under the impression we were comparing him to players that are in his ranking range, a range that he is having more trouble with this year than last year.
And 2 top 10 defeats

Come on mate..

You go on as if its been an epic long season... there has been hardy many matches between top 10 v top 10 all season. He is only able to win whats in front of him.

He will prob finish year with most match wins or at least be close. That screams improvement.

When my favs lose ive started to just stay clear of the threads

·
28,788 Posts
Critical failure to distinguish between an argument and a sentiment. The former involves strong belief (in its correctness). Of course, English speakers like to apply "argue" rather generally, ranging from a constructed logical argument to a value statement to quarreling; an interesting reflection of their implicit world-view. I believe, of course, that you understood correctly what I meant to say but chose to retort out of pettiness. Too bad.
What I read you saying is that small sample size is valid when you use it, but when I use it, it is not. Really, I'm not sure how else to read what you posted. I put forward the argument that Rublev is not better this year compared to last year. You told me I can't use small sample size. You then changed the argument to Rublev is better from half way through last year to now compared to the start of his career. You then used small sample size to prove your point. Then, you (quite arrogantly) told me that I was incorrect to question you about small sample size, right after you did the same to me. Hmmmm.

·
11,079 Posts
Shappy should've won this match ffs but DFpalov decided against it. Grats to Bweeeh!
Bwehheeehh
By the way, Mugfils has demonstrated that you don't even need top 10 wins to reach the top 10 in this era, provided you're sufficiently adept at vulturing. So you should rather welcome whoever pushes overranked Monfils and Berrettini (the latter being feeble this year and resting on pandemic point laurels) out of the top ten.

Yeah its bizarre how ATP works , one player can do shitty for 6 months and still be a top 10 guy.

It is weird that a lot of guys can maintain a high ranking by getting R1 exits.

·
28,788 Posts
You go on as if its been an epic long season... there has been hardy many matches between top 10 v top 10 all season. He is only able to win whats in front of him.
And yet he has won a lower percentage than last year.

You know that I like Rublev, I have been very clear about that in other threads. It's just funny reading some narratives that are not backed up by anything other than feelings and wins over players ranked outside the top 50. Crazy year means playing more players outside the top 50, and thus he looks better than he is in ELO and point percentage. I think its always important to think about what you are seeing instead of letting feelings like get in the way.

PS. I didn't see your Rublev is top 3 thread til now. I don't agree. I think when you are being routined in back-to-back weeks by Dan Evans, that says something. :)

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
What I read you saying is that small sample size is valid when you use it, but when I use it, it is not. Really, I'm not sure how else to read what you posted. I put forward the argument that Rublev is not better this year compared to last year. You told me I can't use small sample size. You then changed the argument to Rublev is better from half way through last year to now compared to the start of his career. You then used small sample size to prove your point. Then, you (quite arrogantly) told me that I was incorrect to question you about small sample size, right after you did the same to me. Hmmmm.
What I read that you insist your argument is correct, rather than merely supposing it may be.

I illustrated my point, not proved it for a fact - it's not a clear cut matter here.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts