Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Shapovalov played really well until the beginning of the 2nd set, lost focus, let Rublev comeback in this match and was frustrated to the end of the match.
Even if he has more potential than Rublev, his mindset is still not there to be a champion.
I agree. He is over-sensitive to having the crowd really against him. I don't think it's a big issue and it really only applies to this tournament when playing against a Russian.

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
So called 3rd best player in the world needed a Shapo injury and a game with 4 doubles faults and home country to win his first sets against Denis (who is 2 years younger). Haha. H2H still 2-1 for Denis.
Denis collapsed mentally today against a Rublev who has taken a huge leap this season. Hard to take much of a positive out of that. He may be better than him someday but that day isn't today.

·
Registered
708 Posts
So called 3rd best player in the world needed a Shapo injury and a game with 4 doubles faults and home country to win his first sets against Denis (who is 2 years younger). Haha. H2H still 2-1 for Denis.
Well I was just confused how you could say he "once again won the mental battle" when in their previous two matchups, Rublev lost in straight sets.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Rublev hits with too much depth, intent and consistency for someone like Shapovalov, who lacks nuances in his game and is not good at problem solving. Once he started to take command of the CC rallies he was pretty much in control and ended up playing so well. Shapovalov is still a headcase and loses focus far too easily. He's becoming annoying with his relentless woaaaaasss and bitching at his box. And he needs a sliced and DTL BH asap.
Lacks nuances? Shap has more nuances then 10 Rublev's who is simply a power baseliner. Shap has a million different shots and the problem has been choosing the right ones and not overplaying.
Shap was undone by his Dfs then his elite game came undone.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Too bad.
Shap had him and Rub knew it. All Shap had to do was not DF a million times.
That game 2nd set leading 40/0 then 4 DFs was the killer. Getting broken to give Rub 3/1
He unravelled after that.
But the 1rst set showed an incredible level from Shap and once he rids himslef of the DFs look out.
His game is almost there, but anyway so improved from over a year ago--the big improvement started this time last year, roughly when he enlisted Youzny.

·
28,788 Posts
Rublev who has taken a huge leap this season.
Has he though? I know the lazy narrative is that he has, but do the stats actually back that up?

His record vs top 20 is practically identical to last season. His record vs top 50 is actually worse this year than last season.

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
Has he though? I know the lazy narrative is that he has, but do the stats actually back that up?

His record vs top 20 is practically identical to last season. His record vs top 50 is actually worse this year than last season.
They absolutely back that up. He's 6th in ELO (soon to be 5th) and 3rd in points won percentage in 2020. That's a gigantic leap from where he was.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts

The biggest shift was definitely mental. Previously, he always looked as if he was going to cry. He was imploding left right and center. These days he manages to outwill tough opponents so his results are improving. Game-wise there hasn't been much change since he made his first steps on ATP at the age of 17. Shapovalov's learning how to outwill his opponents is still ahead of him.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Too bad.
Shap had him and Rub knew it. All Shap had to do was not DF a million times.
That game 2nd set leading 40/0 then 4 DFs was the killer. Getting broken to give Rub 3/1
He unravelled after that.
But the 1rst set showed an incredible level from Shap and once he rids himslef of the DFs look out.
His game is almost there, but anyway so improved from over a year ago--the big improvement started this time last year, roughly when he enlisted Youzny.
Yes, all these things are true. The question is, why did he unravel? This is a question for that sports psychologist. Denis needs to learn to mentally put things like that behind him. (easy to say of course) But, yes, a huge improvement over last year. He's now consistently making deep runs in all tournaments it seems. (except the French) He also did not need to get involved with whomever that was in the audience. The ump had it under control. Frustrated, I guess.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Kudos to Rubles. He didn't panic in the early stages of the 2nd set when Denis looked to extend his lead. Instead he improved his RoS and began to dictate the baseline rallies.

This was an important win. He's Officially #8 (and he's earned it). The WTF is looking like a real possibility.

I hope he wins the finals. I can't lie I really wanna read the slew of dumb comments where users engage in overt mental gymnastics to discredit Rublev winning fair and square.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts