Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First tested in football (soccer) and if I am not wrong in Italian football, it seems planned in lots of tennis tournaments too, probably in Barcelona and Spanish challengers, possibly in Monaco....

It could be rather different than regular Tennis events.

I doubt we could have same situation like in football, with 3.000 Paris Fans deciding to gather in the streets outside Stade de France for Paris Dortmund, ruining the idea of minimizing contagion.

What could be radically different is (lack of) support players can get and how they can find motivation : how players like Rafa or Roger (if pandemy is still there this Summer what can happen if you follow Australian or Brazilian exemple) can deal with no support, how Kyrgios can find any interest in acting like a clown, and how Nole can find extra motivation without the crowd hate ?

Could we have some young guns or Challenger players, used to play without any crowd, who can cope easier with that situation ?

I guess it is a quite new and exciting situation sportwise, even if rest is quite gloomy.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Italy tested it but I they cancelled all right away

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Tennis players, unlike football players, normally take various flights to reach tournaments. If they are in Miami and need to travel to another country which refusing clearance of a plane landing, or insist on self-isolation for 14 days, then only local players can benefit from this. All tournaments should just be cancelled until USOS.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Tennis players, unlike football players, normally take various flights to reach tournaments. If they are in Miami and need to travel to another country which refusing clearance of a plane landing, or insist on self-isolation for 14 days, then only local players can benefit from this. All tournaments should just be cancelled until USOS.
And it seems there will be 70%+ nly spanish players in Spain swing)) Really unhonest it will be) Like in Closed Era)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Tennis is whole different thing than football as global individual sport. Football in europe hardly ever travels outside exc for champions league and they do it in closed groups with maximum protection and then come back quickly to their country. So playing without public is little more dangerous than any working environment exposure . Ofc there are risks still is why Im surprised CL hasnt been postponed yet.

IMO in the US playing inside closed doors could work right now , the players are alreaďy there , theres little danger for them as there can be for any US citizen .

But going into Europe clay swing , the players are exposed because of the reasons I stated above. They travel ALL THE TIME . individually . You cannot be certain while there is a now declared pandemic!

Also in football there are governing bodies and club owners that agree and make decitions for the TEAMS to play under certain conditions.

In tennis if 30 or more % of the players decide not to show up , they withdraw , the tour would become a joke if some tournaments are held with local players and a bunch of risk takers .

The situation there is BAD and the nature of tennis as global travelling sport makes it even more forceable for all to be cancelled

I noticed nobody takes the players risk and health into account

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Tennis is whole different thing than football as global individual sport. Football in europe hardly ever travels outside exc for champions league and they do it in closed groups with maximum protection and then come back quickly to their country. So playing without public is little more dangerous than any working environment exposure . Ofc there are risks still is why Im surprised CL hasnt been postponed yet.

IMO in the US playing inside closed doors could work right now , the players are alreaďy there , theres little danger for them as there can be for any US citizen .

But going into Europe clay swing , the players are exposed because of the reasons I stated above. They travel ALL THE TIME . individually . You cannot be certain while there is a now declared pandemic!

Also in football there are governing bodies and club owners that agree and make decitions for the TEAMS to play under certain conditions.

In tennis if 30 or more % of the players decide not to show up , they withdraw , the tour would become a joke if some tournaments are held with local players and a bunch of risk takers .

The situation there is BAD and the nature of tennis as global travelling sport makes it even more forceable for all to be cancelled

I noticed nobody takes the players risk and health into account
I totally agree with you.
Champion's league is not yet postponed because it generates too much money, but Barca-Napoli will be impossible to be played next week (what will the UEFA do ?)
All your points are correct, tennis players must take a plane every week, and we are now JUST AT THE START of the travel restrictions. So basically, as almost all players are already in the US, Miami could be played, but only with No spectators but I suspect it will be cancelled. Afterwards, indeed the tour would be a joke as many players from different countries could not show at tournaments, and some will start to think in a long term and just stop to play, the time things get back to normal.
For many reasons (health, credibility of the results, the absurdity to play in empty stadiums) , I guess it will be better to stop for a while. It is going to be a depressing period, but there are more important things than tennis.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Meanwhile liverpool atletico plays in full stadium capacity under the rain ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts