Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is the story with this? The players near the top of the game all go by one surname and the journeymen that have been around for ages but most of the younger lower-ranked players go by 2 surnames.

Is it something they're forced to do at registration or a choice? I ask this because guys like Navarro (Pastor) and Almagro (Sanchez) dropped their second surname when they became more well known....

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,508 Posts
I read somewhere that all Spaniards have two surnames, by law. Don't know if that's true.

But most of them drop one when they become more noticeable, like Nadal is really Rafael Nadal Parera, etc

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,503 Posts
The mother and the fathers surnames are used on the birth certificates and the Portuguese do it as well.

Felix Mantilla Botella
Rafael Nadal Parera
Àlex Corretja Verdegay

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Yes in Spain people are required to have a double barrelled surname by law. The father's surname usually comes before's the mother's, and many people are only referred to by their first/paternal surname in common, everyday use.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
It is the Romans fault.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In Spain the woman doesn't lose her surnames when she gets married, so, the children gets not only 2 but infinite surnames: the first of the father, then the first of the mother, then the second of the father... and so on.

Me for example I can only recall 10 surnames, but you can do a little research and find hundreds of them.

My name is ***** ***** ****** oliva sebastián garcia del campo berdugo garcia cercadillo de dios:p

And the "-" symbol that they put (sanchez-vicario) is just because they want the surname of the mother to be present, so they "merge" both surnames into one, with the - symbol, and the atp/wta computers only have room for one surname:wavey:

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
There even was a case in European Tribunal about these surnames (known as Carlos Garcia Avello case). A person from Spain married another one from Belgium, Belgium didn't understand these spanish surnames regulations and all the shit started

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
In Spain the woman doesn't lose her surnames when she gets married, so, the children gets not only 2 but infinite surnames: the first of the father, then the first of the mother, then the second of the father... and so on.

Me for example I can only recall 10 surnames, but you can do a little research and find hundreds of them.

My name is ***** ***** ****** oliva sebastián garcia del campo berdugo garcia cercadillo de dios:p

And the "-" symbol that they put (sanchez-vicario) is just because they want the surname of the mother to be present, so they "merge" both surnames into one, with the - symbol, and the atp/wta computers only have room for one surname:wavey:
That sounds like hard work. :lol: I have 4. My first name, my middle name, my former last name (which is my mother's last name), and my current last name (which is my father's last name).

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,503 Posts
Marcel Granollers-Pujol, has dropped the Pujol now.

Carles ("Carlos") Costa Masferrer
Albert Costa Casals
Fernando Vicente Filba

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
in Southamerica we have 2 names and 2 surnames :shrug:

what's the problem?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Aranxta Sanches is still sometimes reffered to as Sanchez-Vicario..:confused:

I like Parera though:cool:

·
Registered
210 Posts
in Southamerica we have 2 names and 2 surnames :shrug:

what's the problem?
In Mexico, Central America and The Caribbean as well. It's easier to understand how it works if you tries.

Anyway most people in latin america have a nickname and the complete name it's only used for official stuff (like Passports, wedding certificates, etc.)

·
Registered
86,336 Posts
In Mexico, Central America and The Caribbean as well. It's easier to understand how it works if you tries.

Anyway most people in latin america have a nickname and the complete name it's only used for official stuff (like Passports, wedding certificates, etc.)
Imagine Kaká always referred as: Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite Idade. :bolt: As far as I know he himself only uses Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite. But still Kaká is far shorter during a football match. :lol:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts