Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was convinced that it was a mistake, but I've just noticed that wikipedia is also saying that Rome will be played on hardcourts starting in 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_Masters

I know that the atp website had that graphic which said that Rome would be on hard, but I'd just assumed that it was some editor's oversight. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
:eek: I can't imagine Rome as a hardcourt tournament.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
no chance Rome is played on hard

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
I was convinced that it was a mistake, but I've just noticed that wikipedia is also saying that Rome will be played on hardcourts starting in 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_Masters

I know that the atp website had that graphic which said that Rome would be on hard, but I'd just assumed that it was some editor's oversight. Can anyone confirm?
I think I read on another tennis forum that the wikipedia entry is a mistake.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tend to trust Wikipedia, despite the occasional error. The people who write the tennis stuff on their tend to be quite precise most of the time.

Now that I think back on it we never did iron out the facts as they pertain to Rome. Making Rome a hardcourt event certainly would be a good thing for Mr. Tiriac, whose Madrid event would become the big fish.

I knew, I just knew that it would be too good to be true to have Madrid and Rome back-to-back on clay. Both are just too big and too good to exist at the same time. When it's too good to be true it can't be true.

I hope I'm wrong.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
you cant have a Masters on hard in the middle of the European clay season

what would Italy want a Masters on hard for, when all their best players are basically claycourters

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you cant have a Masters on hard in the middle of the European clay season

what would Italy want a Masters on hard for, when all their best players are basically claycourters
Since when does De Villiers do anything that makes sense?

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
Since when does De Villiers do anything that makes sense?
yeah, my bad :p

I think also putting Queens just before Roland Garros wouldnt be a bad idea

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
^^ In all the ATP news releases about the change of calendar no where was it mentioned that Rome would be played on hard. On the other hard Madrid was always mentioned that it would be on clay:confused:

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
The wikipedia entry is wrong. Rome will be on clay in 2009. This is the paragraph from the August 31, 2007 ATP press release:

The ATP, governing body of the men’s professional tennis circuit, announced today eight additional venues that have been awarded “1000” status for the new-look 2009 ATP Tour. The eight are:

Indian Wells (hard)
Miami (hard)
Rome (clay)
Madrid (clay)
Cincinnati (hard)
Canada (hard)
Shanghai (indoor hard)
Paris (indoor hard)

The “1000” tournaments will replace the existing Masters Series, and these eight tournaments will join the ninth “1000” event, Monte Carlo, to make up the top tier of the new ATP Tour structure.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The wikipedia entry is wrong. Rome will be on clay in 2009. This is the paragraph from the August 31, 2007 ATP press release:
I'll go along with this.

It figures that if Rome really was moved to hardcourts there would have been a huge uproar about it from the players' side.

The Wikipedia entry gave me a heart attack. The crap about hardcourts is on at least two wiki pages - all because of that one crappy graphic on the ATP website that keeps being sited as evidence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts