Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that it's too fast or too slow but the difference of speeds of courts in the same tournament needs to be sorted. Even a few weeks ago I heard Murray complain in Cincy that the outdoor courts were very different speeds than the main courts.

I'm sure most people here would agree with me, I mean even though I'm not a Gasquet fan I do think it's somewhat a disadvantage he's on what could be called the fastest court on the grounds against someone like Karlovic.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Of course! I would have said Gasquet 75% Karlovic 25% on grandstand (the slowest court i think)
Here on court 11, it's pretty much 50-50.

It's outrageous that such a big tournament has such a big flaw.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I find it fascinating that there are still people who think super fast surfaces suits Karlovic. Ask him, and he will say he prefers slow hardcourt. Basically, when he hits his first serve, it doesnt matter if its clay or grass, its still uncatchable most of the times, but slower surfaces at least allows him to return better, and more time for him to move to his forhand side and go for it.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
I find it fascinating that there are still people who think super fast surfaces suits Karlovic. Ask him, and he will say he prefers slow hardcourt. Basically, when he hits his first serve, it doesnt matter if its clay or grass, its still uncatchable most of the times, but slower surfaces at least allows him to return better, and more time for him to move to his forhand side and go for it.
This.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Disagree, in some matchups he will need that extra pace on the serve.

Do you think he would have beaten federer at Miami?

Slower surfaces helps him against decent servers that doesn't have much of a return game.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Slower surfaces helps him against decent servers that doesn't have much of a return game.
Totally wrong, there's noone with a worse return game then Karlovic on fast courts. In those kind of matchups he usually loses both tie breaks.

Sorry, but i think i probavly watched more of his matches then you, and i know what im talking about.

Faster surfaces help him against people with poor serve(but has to be really poor) and good baseline game.

Ofcourse, he's dangerous on any kind of surfaces (thats why he has won tournaments on all 3 current surface), just wanted to point out to general misconception.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course! I would have said Gasquet 75% Karlovic 25% on grandstand (the slowest court i think)
Here on court 11, it's pretty much 50-50.

It's outrageous that such a big tournament has such a big flaw.
And it's unfair guys like Berdych and Tsonga are playing on Grandstand, I mean Berdych's last match was an absolute joke in terms of court speed on Grandstand, just disgusting are the differences of speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts