Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been thinking this a while and today's match just made me want to ask on here.

Player A hits a 2nd serve
Serve is called out
Player A challenges
Ball is in
Player A gets a 1st serve

Player A hits a 1st serve
Serve is called in
Player B challenges
Ball is out
Player A gets a 2nd serve

Surely if there's any logic behind it in the second scenario Player A should be given a first serve to make up for the time in between the serves?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Can't find the non-sense in here, tbh. Player A is the handicaped one in the first scenario and should get a 1st serve as a reward. Player B is the hancipad player in the second scenario and Player A should bot be the one rewarded.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Nadal and Djokovic have dominated tennis is the past couple years. Time means nothing nowadays.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I think it's more like "sorry, you got screwed by line judge, have a 1st serve as a consolation" in 1st situation, not strictly connected to time wasted.

·
Registered
20,717 Posts
so with your logic someone for missing first serve should get another first serve

don't see anything to think about it here . everything is perfectly logical

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
Can't find the non-sense in here, tbh. Player A is the handicaped one in the first scenario and should get a 1st serve as a reward. Player B is the hancipad player in the second scenario and Player A should bot be the one rewarded.
This. /thread

·
Registered
20,717 Posts
in first scenario player A was robbed and he deserved first serve again. in second scenario player B was robbed so why not to rob him even more and give first serve to player A again . is this logical to you ?

·
Registered
20,717 Posts
like i said if i am a mod i would bring a condition , before verification of account every member would need to pass psycho and iq test . these steps would improve mtf drastically

·
Registered
206 Posts
like i said if i am a mod i would bring a condition , before verification of account every member would need to pass psycho and iq test . these steps would improve mtf drastically
:haha: :lol: :haha: :lol: :haha:

But again, don't be so hard on Certinfy.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I was saying is in scenario 2 if player B takes ages to challenge then it's quite unfair on Player A. :shrug:

Either way thanks for some of you clearing it up.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah just gave Davydenko a second serve after the first scenario happens. Just proves this is unfair.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Fergus Murphy doesn't agree with the laws of physics :eek: Dumbest umpire on the tour
I actually prefer the way he handled it today - if the server hits a 2nd serve, called out, challenged and called good, I think he should get a 2nd serve. It doesn't make sense to replay the whole 'point' since no real disadvantage was caused to the server.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I actually prefer the way he handled it today - if the server hits a 2nd serve, called good, challenged and called out, I think he should get a 2nd serve. It doesn't make sense to replay the whole 'point' since no real disadvantage was caused to the server.
Oh, is that what the situation was today? I didn't watch the match, from your post I thought it's the same as 1st situation. This one is different, so then the decision was correct.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Oh, is that what the situation was today? I didn't watch the match, from your post I thought it's the same as 1st situation. This one is different, and then the decision was correct.
Sorry I wrote it the wrong way round.
Davy's 2nd serve was called out, Davy challenged and hawkeye called it good. Fergus gave Davy another 2nd serve instead of a 1st.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Sorry I wrote it the wrong way round.
Davy's 2nd serve was called out, Davy challenged and hawkeye called it good. Fergus gave Davy another 2nd serve instead of a 1st.
Well, usually umpires give 1st serves in that position.. Davy IMO should have complained, and called the supervisor if Murphy wouldn't change the decision.

·
Registered
22,645 Posts
I actually prefer the way he handled it today - if the server hits a 2nd serve, called out, challenged and called good, I think he should get a 2nd serve. It doesn't make sense to replay the whole 'point' since no real disadvantage was caused to the server.
davydenko successfully got a 2nd serve in, so why should he have had to get another one in?

A double fault is when you miss 2 serves in a row, he made a 2nd serve, so he shouldn't be given another 2nd serve because if he missed that one it would be a DF for missing only 1 serve in a row.

He made his serve, only reason that it wasn't allowed was a bad line judge call, why should he have to face the risk of having to make it again just because of a bad call? The fact that he had to is a disadvantage to the server isn't it?

a DF is 0/2 serves in, not 1/3

1 - 20 of 27 Posts