Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the first to agree that Djokovic is the best of both this year. Of course the serbian is on his prime and is probably enjoying his best year since that 2011 amazing run, one of the best seasons a tennis player has ever produced, and on the other side of the net is a Federer far from his best years, with a bit declined ground game but still producing amazing tennis. But for sunday I'll have to choose Federer as the favorite for the match and I'll list three reasons for you.

1. Djokovic will give too much time for Federer to boss the rallies with his forehand.

A key for Djokovic to beat Federer easily is to play deep and agressive taking time away from the swiss, forcing him to make errors and give himself opportunities to (a) dictate the play or (b) to play just another ball to force the swiss once again to make a mistake. But Djokovic is failing to play deep and agressive this Wimbledon so far. Kanderson and Gasquet are proof of that.

So why didn't Anderson took advantage of that? Because he is Anderson. Because he wasn't so fresh in the end to take advantage of that and because mentally he is weak as we all know.

So why didn't Gasquet took advantage of that? He took. While he was fresh. He was GOATing in the first set. But only because Djokovic was allowing him to. The same way Wawrinka was allowed to GOAT on RG final. Because Djokovic failed to play deep and be agressive, giving sooo much time for his opponents to play his strokes perfectly. Remember tennis is much about timing your strokes as well. And if your opponent gives you time, you have much better oportunities to hit clean, deep and agressive.
But as soon as the 5 setter QF had it's effects, Gasquet was not competitive anymore. And that came out too soon. As soon as the end of the first set.

2. Federer is the better server

And though Djokovic is not a bad server himself we can all agree that on the grass specially, Federer will take much more advantage of this shot and serve it out much easier. Huge advantage for sunday.

3. Federer won't probably reproduce his level from his SF's against Murray...
...but he won't have to. Because on this tournament Murray was being a better and more dangerous player than Djokovic. Murray was serving better, was being more agressive (yes, I mean it) and I have reasons to believe that Murray would beat Djokovic if they played on sunday.

My conclusion is that Federer will be on advantage on all the areas of the game and can win this in 3 or 4 sets. Of course I'm willing to accept that I might be wrong, but Djokovic will have to raise his level to win tomorrow. If he plays like he's been playing so far, I believe we will be the runner up tomorrow.

Let it be a great match and may the best one wins.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I agree that Djokovic will have to raise his level tomorrow, but:

a. the depth against Gasquet was pretty decent, for a while in a match, he was cleaning those back lines. Against Kanderson he didn't have the chance, because his ground game was pretty powerful and accurate, so he was always a bit on the defensive side.(same thing happened with Wawrinka at RG).

b. his offense against Gasquet was (as soon as he kept getting depth), pretty good. Murray (except for a few passing shots, had no real aggression). And remember, by aggressive and offensive I don't mean just ballbashing Wawrinka style. Djokovic offensive play is his smart and thoughtful placement and rhythm disruption so he has the chance to go for the kill shot. He plays smart aggressive, not athletic aggressive. And don't judge those shots from a TV coverage, go check them out in the field IRL. Gasquet after the match: "... Even from the baseline, he's playing fast with a lot of aggressiveness. He takes the ball early. That's why it's tough."

c. if Djokovic has a bad day, serve will be enough for Federer. But then again it would be enough for Karlovic, Anderson or Isner. The only thing Federer has is his champion mentality, so he doesn't throw it away like the before mentioned trio.

d. if Djokovic has a good day, serve will not be enough for Federer. He will need to dig deep and hard into his ground game. And as everyone agrees, it's pretty hard to replicate yesterdays game. But who knows, maybe he surprises us all.

May the best man win! (*cough* Djokovic)

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Its simple really, Djokovic was average at best the whole tourney and is most likely injured.

Federer played the match of his career in the semis.

·
23,797 Posts
Not sure how rhythm disruption counts as "smart aggression" because that particular shot is not a control-usurping shot (I feel it is more passive-aggressive), while placement, while is preparation, is trying to take control by making it pushing the player back in the court more directly IMO.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Silly, inaccurate and unnecessary long post by OP. Just a bunch of wrong assumptions leading to wrong conclusions, all designed to undermine Djokovic, comparing to Federer. Especially the part about "Murray being the better and more dangerous player than Novak". :haha:

If Djokovic is healthy and there are no other outside factors like unfair umpiring, hawkeye malfunctioning, crowd yelling during serves, ... Novak has this in the bag.

He is the better player and current Federer's ground game has nothing to hurt him. Federer is all about serve now. That could make things tricky for No1e, but will not be enough.

My only fear is that No1e's shoulder is bothering him and he is not 100% healthy.

·
|
15,360 Posts
Federer didn't play well enough vs Murray to be the favorite.
The 1st set was 7-5, and the 2nd set 7-5.
It is clear that Djokovic is playing far better than Murray, so do you really think Federer would have won those sets vs Djokovic?
And Murray's weakness that Federer cashed-in on (2nd serve) is not a weakness for Djokovic....
And the other issue is Murray's horrible lack of depth, again something that Djokovic doesn't suffer from.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
I actually agree with this. If you just look at the "raw data" nearly everything points towards a Federer victory. However, I don't think Murray played better than Djokovic in this tournament.

It is clear that Djokovic is playing far better than Murray, so do you really think Federer would have won those sets vs Djokovic?
And Murray's weakness that Federer cashed-in on (2nd serve) is not a weakness for Djokovic....
And the other issue is Murray's horrible lack of depth, again something that Djokovic doesn't suffer from.

I think he played well enough against Murray to be the favourite but I agree with the rest of your statement entirely.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
His shoulder was bothering him from early games.......he was doing isometric movement that you are taught coming out of bad movement in gymnastics. Hope it is only muscle!

Umpiring......think back to his request to water the court in RG......what happened there Chico? Despite his struggling with contact lenses and the dust pool.

As for the crowd..........at the O2 playing Berdych (who actually had reasonable fans) the majority were Fed fans.......they were shipped in huge tourist groups!

My boyfriend bought tickets near Nole's box for us. Crowd around us was PATHETIC.......thankfully anyone who approached Boris was politely told to please leave!

Before the match it was obvious we were there to support Nole, what was interesting was the gutless wonders waited to say something to me when my boyfriend went to get me a drink (the little fat toads obviously were intimidated by my Ruskie) .......what they weren't expecting after they baited me (while he was gone) to go back at them and then they went silent. Behind every bully is a coward.
Lots of bullies here as well unfortunately.

A very nice post like always :)

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I was on IW this and last year (watched Federer-Djokovic final 2014) and there were lots of despicable Federer fans in the crowd indeed.

Luckily I was with the big group of Nole supporters and no one dared to say anything to us. ;)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
On the flipside - Murray was playing far better than Gasquet, yet Djokovic still needed significantly more points to put Gasquet away.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Djokovic is a VERY SMART PLAYER. I actually think he is holding alot back. He will change gear for Federer and play a very clever match. Feds may have peaked too early.

There are two big differences between Djokovic and Murray this Wimbledon. SERVE AND ACCURACY.

Yesterday Murray could have played a much better match if he had thought out his shots better. The lobs were working. He should have played more drop shots and side volleys. To make the old boy run into the net more. He was trying to out bassline him. And because his accuracy was off. Gave away alot of points.

Murray beat himself MORE than Federer beat him. That wont be the case Sunday. Djokovic is serving almost as well as Federer. The match will be won or lost on SHOT SELECTION TACTICS.

The reason Nadal had so much success against Federer was he understood. To beat Federer you have to mix him up. Boss the match. Have him in defensive mode. Rush him off his feet.

When you do this to federer you break his spirit. He becomes the hunted instead of the hunter. Once federer believes he can boss the match its over. Nadals stunning speed and power at his peak allowed him to bully Federer. And get that edge on him.

Djokovic has to take control of the match tomorrow. And if he does he will defend his crown.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Unless either Novak or Roger have an injury, what happened earlier in the tournament really doesn't matter that much. Playing a slam final is much different than even a slam semi. Both these guys desperately want this Wimbledon, so both could be a bit nervous which could affect their game.

·
Registered
22,067 Posts
I agree, Federer was able to push Djokovic to 5 with just a serve last year. By the looks of it, in this Wimbledon, he has a serve and a baseline game.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Djokovic is a VERY SMART PLAYER. I actually think he is holding alot back. He will change gear for Federer and play a very clever match. Feds may have peaked too early.

There are two big differences between Djokovic and Murray this Wimbledon. SERVE AND ACCURACY.

Yesterday Murray could have played a much better match if he had thought out his shots better. The lobs were working. He should have played more drop shots and side volleys. To make the old boy run into the net more. He was trying to out bassline him. And because his accuracy was off. Gave away alot of points.

Murray beat himself MORE than Federer beat him. That wont be the case Sunday. Djokovic is serving almost as well as Federer. The match will be won or lost on SHOT SELECTION TACTICS.

The reason Nadal had so much success against Federer was he understood. To beat Federer you have to mix him up. Boss the match. Have him in defensive mode. Rush him off his feet.

When you do this to federer you break his spirit. He becomes the hunted instead of the hunter. Once federer believes he can boss the match its over. Nadals stunning speed and power at his peak allowed him to bully Federer. And get that edge on him.

Djokovic has to take control of the match tomorrow. And if he does he will defend his crown.
:superlol:
Since when is hitting CC FH to opponent's BH over and over mixing it up?
Since when is the defending player running 3m behind BL bossing the match? And having him in defensive mode?

You must've been drunk writing this.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
if Novak's shoulder, is injured more than he's letting on, is the only reason Federer would be favored against him in a five set match.

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
There is no way and I mean NO WAY Djokovic won't raise his level in the final. He won't, he'll lose. But he will. This is not Gasquet, this is Federer in Wimbledon

Also I doubt Federer will play as good as in the semis. If he'll manage to play at the same level for two consecutive matches, he deserves the title. But once again, I don't think he will

1 - 20 of 32 Posts