Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a list of some of the "after 30th birthday" accomplishments of some top players who have had noticeable success in their 30s. I am not sure about the weeks at #1 for Laver and Rosewall. Had to dig up the best info I could find. This only includes the Open era. Laver turned 30 just about at the beginning of that era and Rosewall was in his mid-30s when it started. So his stats below are really his "after 36th birthday" which is especially impressive. Of course during Laver's age 24-29 years he was not allowed to participate in the Slams so his accomplishments in his 30s certainly speak volumes for what he might have done in his mid to late 20s. Of course one of the great "what-ifs" of our sport.

Please correct if you know of the true Weeks at #1 for the Aussies or if anything else is amiss. Thanks.

In their 30s
PlayerSlamsMastersYE FinalsYE #1Weeks at #1
Federer4101025
Nadal670268
Djokovic560275
Agassi270033
Connors240017
Rosewall412152
Laver5323193

·
9,533 Posts
Im not there :cautious:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I know it was a prehistoric mug amateur era, but you got to respect Laver's 193 weeks at #1 (if it's not a mistake).

·
Your visions will happen
49,209 Posts
Well, Tilden had 8 slams and 244 weeks at #1 after age 30

I know it was a prehistoric mug amateur era, but you got to respect Laver's 193 weeks at #1 (if it's not a mistake).
Entirely probable. Laver had 353 overall, so 193 in Open Era makes sense off the top of the head without going deep into numbers

EDIT: Just went back deep into the numbers, turns out Laver had only 183 weeks at #1 post age 30, very close

By the way, I have Rosewall with 7 slams and only 15 weeks at #1 after age 30

·
Registered
47 Posts

Entirely probable. Laver had 353 overall, so 193 in Open Era makes sense off the top of the head without going deep into numbers

EDIT: Just went back deep into the numbers, turns out Laver had only 183 weeks at #1 post age 30, very close

Pro Championship tournaments pre open era were never called slams, so he indeed has only 4 slams and 3 pro championships after 30. We can have long debate how significant this pro majors where in the past, and how this titles shall be evaluated, but they are simply no grand slams.

·
Your visions will happen
49,209 Posts
Pro Championship tournaments pre open era were never called slams, so he indeed has only 4 slams and 3 pro championships after 30. We can have long debate how significant this pro majors where in the past, and how this titles shall be evaluated, but they are simply no grand slams.
Well 244 weeks at #1 at age 30+ is the real most impressive record

·
Registered
18 Posts
Of course during Laver's age 24-29 years he was not allowed to participate in the Slams so his accomplishments in his 30s certainly speak volumes for what he might have done in his mid to late 20s. Of course one of the great "what-ifs" of our sport.

Didn't get to compete in Slams between 24-29 and STILL won TWO calendar Slams...Astonishing!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I know he's not "one of the greats" but Stéphane Robert peaked in his late 30's

he reached his highest ranking ever at #50 at age 36 in 2016 and basically played a full season at the ATP level after being in challengers basically his entire career. 😎 😎😎😎

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Jonas Bjorkman made the Wimbledon SFs at 34
Wayne Ferreira made the AO SFs at 31, and had 7 wins against top 10 opponents in his 30s
Rainer Schuttler made the Wimbledon SFs at 32
Nicolas Mahut won all 4 of his career titles after 30
Gilles Muller's career best year was at 34, when he won his 2 career titles
Feliciano Lopez made 11 finals after turning 31, peak ranking at 33 1/2
Wayne Arthurs had a ranking peak after 30, won his sole career title a few weeks before his 34th birthday. His last 2 main draws were the 2007 AO & Wimbledon. He made R3 at both. He was the oldest in that AO draw, and was 36 at Wimbledon. Older than when Hewitt retired from singles.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Here is a list of some of the "after 30th birthday" accomplishments of some top players who have had noticeable success in their 30s. I am not sure about the weeks at #1 for Laver and Rosewall. Had to dig up the best info I could find. This only includes the Open era. Laver turned 30 just about at the beginning of that era and Rosewall was in his mid-30s when it started. So his stats below are really his "after 36th birthday" which is especially impressive. Of course during Laver's age 24-29 years he was not allowed to participate in the Slams so his accomplishments in his 30s certainly speak volumes for what he might have done in his mid to late 20s. Of course one of the great "what-ifs" of our sport.

Please correct if you know of the true Weeks at #1 for the Aussies or if anything else is amiss. Thanks.

In their 30s
PlayerSlamsMastersYE FinalsYE #1Weeks at #1
Federer4101025
Nadal670268
Djokovic560275
Agassi270033
Connors240017
Rosewall412152
Laver5323193
Laver lost 2 WCT finals to Rosewall, therefore has 0 YE titles. Ken was 33 when the OE began, Rod was 29

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I agree. Rosewall is up there with the best of all time, but not winning wimbledon hurts his legacy a lot. When he was active wimbledon was rhe most important tournament by far.
Ken was barred from playing ALL slams 11 years between ages 22-33. He reached the Wimbledon finals ages 35 and 39 he reached two other finals by age 22, therefore, it is most likely he would have won Wimbledon had he been able to compete there those 11 years.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Im not there :cautious:
What to think of me. Two years ago I reached the final of a local tournament. And the field was packed with all the best of worst players from 50 kilometers around. I mean this was a tournament were hawkeye was not yet needed because lot of the balls were out by safe margins to call. And I made that final my own. Beating my opponent 7-5 ret. Yes I played so fiercefully that my opponent injured himself going after a magnificent lob that ended not one, not two, but at least 60 centimeters behind the baseline. And do they mention this here? No

1 - 14 of 14 Posts