Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody knows that Fifa and Uefa have had serious problems with corruption. But in as time of crisis, they have nonetheless managed to act with some decency and propriety.

There is a good article by David Conn here:

Some key quotes:

“I would like to thank Fifa and its president, Gianni Infantino, who has indicated it will do whatever is required to make this new calendar work,” Ceferin said. “In the face of this crisis, football has shown its best side with openness, solidarity and tolerance.”
“I don’t know what will happen concerning the football calendar,” he said, “but … what I saw today is that this situation brought us together – Uefa, leagues, clubs, other confederations, especially [the South American confederation] Conmebol which I would like to thank, because they agreed that if we move the Euro, they move the Copa [América]. If anything, then we saw that our ecosystem is fragile, that it’s one ecosystem, that we have to act responsibly and that we have to help each other. There is no more time for egotistic ideas. There is no more time for selfishness. So in a way, you’re right. This is a reset of world football.”
What a sharp contrast to the French Open's spectacular act of unilateral selfishness.

Truly, it takes a special kind of scum to act like the French Open did.

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
So you used some cliche quotes which every organization makes just to express your feelings for FO again lol..

C'mon buddy.

There is no action in those quotes. It's just words.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no action in those quotes. It's just words.
Not true. If you read the article carefully, you will see that there was genuine compromise and coordination on the new calendar.

This is precisely what was lacking in the French Open's selfish, aggressive, unilateral grab.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Football and Tennis are completely opposite sports in all senses. Footballers are on payroll, they couldn't give a lesser fuck whether they play or not, they'll get their stratospherical salaries anyway. OTOH they have very little say in what's decided by their teams and football organizations. Most tennis players MUST play in order to eat and pay their bills, their fully control their own careers and have more influence in how the sport is organized.

Stop your ludicrous anti-RG smear campaign, no one is listening. We reply because we're bored.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Football and Tennis are completely opposite sports in all senses. Footballers are on payroll, they couldn't give a lesser fuck whether they play or not, they'll get their stratospherical salaries anyway. OTOH they have very little say in what's decided by their teams and football organizations. Most tennis players MUST play in order to eat and pay their bills, their fully control their own careers and have more influence in how the sport is organized.

Stop your ludicrous anti-RG smear campaign, no one is listening. We reply because we're bored.
I'm enjoying your twisted arguments to defend the indefensible.

Nobody is suggesting that tournaments shouldn't be played (if coronavirus allows), merely that the tennis authorities must coordinate in this time of crisis. This is not the time for greedy, unilateral decisions.

And there's no smear involved in what I'm doing. The FO acted disgustingly. That's just the plain truth. You're totally cool with that, I get it. But don't expect others to be silent about how repellent and morally bankrupt the FO's actions are.

·
|
14,103 Posts
I doubt Wimbledon/US Open will be played anyway, so Roland Garros will probably be the only slam played this year.
But even if the US Open is played, the players are physically fresh and will have no problem playing consecutive slams, except for the guys that play a lot of marathons (but they probably aren't contenders anyway, so won't have to play all the matches).

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being a close reader, I'm sure you'll have appreciated that this is just speculation at this stage. Uefa hasn't actually made the demands, and is consulting stakeholders.

Whereas the FO actually did the dirty. It didn't consult with anyone and took its nasty unilateral decision.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm no big fan of FO & its corruptive environment but c'mon man, if this were WB who was making these moves, u probabIy wouIdn't b uttering peep about it & i don't need to expIain why.
I'm calling out an unprecedented calendar grab, an extraordinary act of egotism and contempt for others. What motives you may impute to me are irrelevant.

It's up to Rafa and his fans to show a little solidarity and moral backbone. They're the ones defending this naked act of aggression.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
I'm no big fan of FO & its corrupted environment but c'mon man, if this were WB who was making these moves, u probabIy wouIdn't b uttering peep about it & i don't need to expIain why.
Why isn't Wimbledon doing this? ;) They understand there's more important fish to fry.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
It's somewhat disturbng how Federer freaks are demonizing Roland Garros for taking an assertive aggressive action to make sure Roland Garros 2020 becomes reality. Laver Cup, a meaningless WWF exo, is irrelevant at this critical time in tennis history. The four majors take precedence. Federer freaks are making themselves look bad. Even Roger himself has not complained about the RG move.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's somewhat disturbng how Federer freaks are demonizing Roland Garros for taking an assertive aggressive action to make sure Roland Garros 2020 becomes reality. Laver Cup, a meaningless WWF exo, is irrelevant at this critical time in tennis history. The four majors take precedence. Federer freaks are making themselves look bad. Even Roger himself has not complained about the RG move.
It's not just Federer freaks, though, is it?

It's also the USO, the ATP, the WTA and many individual players.

In a time of unprecedented crisis, RG acted like a nasty little shit, and amoral people everywhere are lining up to defend it. That's what's disturbing.

Literally nobody thinks that the Laver Cup should take precedence over RG. That does not mean, however, that RG can act unilaterally and get away with it.

When you act like a bully, you deserve a punch right in the nose.

That's what RG is going to get.

Don't worry, though. As a fan of "aggressive" actions, you'll be sure to approve.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Who is the victim of Roland Garros's alleged bullying?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The players should be elated RG wants to happen. They all have an extra chance to make history and to earn the big money. It's unbelievable how Fed freaks and certain other interests are actually trying to demonize Roland Garros for rescheduling arguably the most physically demanding and exciting Grand Slam major. This is beyond ridiculous. If any player doesn't like it then stay home and shut up. A consierable portion of the tennis community is showing itself to be a bunch of oversensitive crybabies.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts