Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you say except that Medvedev is too good nowadays and Monfils didn't start playing smart tennis until 6-2 5-2. Unfortunately it was too late and engaging in CC BH rallies was catastrophic idea. Lost almost every point and Medvedev was trying to lure him in those kind of rallies.
Medvedev is 12-2 this year already and should be favorite tomorrow to win 4th title in last 13 months.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
BOAT gonna BOAT :worship:

Monfils proved his tennis intelligence by BH cross-court rallying against Medvedev of all people (only against Paire would that be more ludicrous).

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Monfils scared and undaring on BP's he had or 0-30. He can hit solid on deuce, but he doesn't have it in him to play a second big point in a row and strike. Same at 5-4 2S.

Medvedev played cautiously played and was let off the hook. It's rare that Monfils plays himself into such an exuberant state where he can swing away at any time, it's usually one big hit and then 3 points of rallying (which he can do well, but doesn't/can't always work against equally abled or better opponents).

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Baby Baghdatis
He reminds me of Simon the most. His strokes are not as clean as Gilles' (saying that his forehand technique is not nice is an understatement) while his serve is much better, but he's a) very comfortable in rallying, b) very clever. He can rally just for the sake of it, he hits many backhands almost leisurely, but that has a purpose: to provoke his opponent to do something (hit an offensive shot, get out of position for Medvedev to attack, etc...). Another proof of his tennis intelligence is his change of service position after Monfils hit a forehand return dtl at 4-1 40-40. On the next point, Medvedev served from the very edge of the court and it payed off.

Many posters won't like him and call him pusher, but his gameplan and execution has been on point so far this year. Although a bit more offensive approach wouldn't hurt him sometimes.

·
3,235 Posts
He reminds me of Simon the most. His strokes are not as clean as Gilles' (saying that his forehand technique is not nice is an understatement) while his serve is much better, but he's a) very comfortable in rallying, b) very clever. He can rally just for the sake of it, he hits many backhands almost leisurely, but that has a purpose: to provoke his opponent to do something (hit an offensive shot, get out of position for Medvedev to attack, etc...). Another proof of his tennis intelligence is his change of service position after Monfils hit a forehand return dtl at 4-1 40-40. On the next point, Medvedev served from the very edge of the court and it payed off.

Many posters won't like him and call him pusher, but his gameplan and execution has been on point so far this year. Although a bit more offensive approach wouldn't hurt him sometimes.
I really like the funky feel he has for the THBH. There really aren't very many players who have that level of variety and comfort.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Just not a fan. That being said, it's important to recognize and applaud him for his success. He's obviously doing everything right.

·
Registered
57,595 Posts
Unsure how much it's a meme versus real feeling, but I genuinely think Medvedev would likely have made the final had he been on the other side of the AO draw. He's looking like a top 5 player.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Future #1, him and Tsitipas. Called it at the USO last year.

Of those Next Gen guys, I just love how well-rounded their games are, with big serving. They can excel on surfaces fast and slow. They obviously already have a fascinating rivalry with each other too.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts

I like Medvedev, his attitude especially. People are on the Tsisi train, but Medvedev could be a thorn in his side for years to come.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Unsure how much it's a meme versus real feeling, but I genuinely think Medvedev would likely have made the final had he been on the other side of the AO draw. He's looking like a top 5 player.

He has improved a lot since I started watching 2-3 years ago. I see him winning a few majors in the coming years. Nadal might have been too much for him, but he would have beaten anyone on that side of the draw.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Future #1, him and Tsitipas. Called it at the USO last year.

Of those Next Gen guys, I just love how well-rounded their games are, with big serving. They can excel on surfaces fast and slow. They obviously already have a fascinating rivalry with each other too.

I think Tsitsi is going to continue struggling against Medvedev. Tsitsi has the variety, so it will be interesting to see whether that will turn the tables. Right now, Medvedev is leading 3-0. Tsitsi is worried about the big 3. He needs to worry about Medvedev first.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I agree with some of the hype in this thread, but we gotta talk about his "forehand". What the hell is going on with that shot? I honestly don't even understand how it works. Seems like a major weakness in his game.

Yup, it's a pretty strange shot. It's tough to describe, it's like a slap >:). I think it's solid enough for now, but he will need to improve it if he is to go far in the big events. I think it will be a better shot in the coming 6 to 12 months. The guy seems like he is improving with each month, it's scary.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Congratulations to Medvedev. I believe he is the only one who has real chance against Nole nowadays. Of course his chance of winning is probably less than 10% against in-form and inspired Nole

1 - 20 of 22 Posts