Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who'd deserve a RG title more?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Both multi-RG finalists in the past decade who didn't win the title.

I think Soderling. Djokovic did beat Nadal this year, but he beat a completely declined version of the Spaniard while Soderling beat Nadal in his prime.

Also, Soderling lost his finals against prime Federer in 2009 and a Nadal that was basically at his best in 2010, that was some terrible luck. Djokovic, on the other hand, we can give him a pass for the 2012 final where Nadal was playing great, but in 2014 Nadal wasn't all that special, and this year he lost to Wawrinka - who was basically playing a weaker version of the peak power game Soderling himself employed to beat Nadal and Federer.

The only argument for Djokovic would be his superior consistency at the tournament (and overall) I guess.

~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
Who would deserve a Roland Garros title more? Whoever won it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4

Registered
Djokovic. He played 7 SF at RG which is a record for a player who never won a particular slam, tied with Lendl at Wimbledon.

3 final loss is huge as well, only beat by Borg (USO) and Murray (AO) but you could argue that in fact he lost 5 finals (couting 2008 and 2013 where he was the clear 2nd best player of the tournament)

~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
Well, in this case neither won it so we need some back-up criteria...
I guess I don't really believe in 'deserving' titles. The winner deserves the title. That's it.

The only exception I'd make is in cases of doping/cheating/etc. Then I could see the merit in saying that the runner-up deserved the title. (Although in cases of doping, even then you can make the case that everybody else the doper beat along the way also was robbed of their rightful chance at the title.)

Banned
Nadal was injured in RG 2009

Registered
Wawrinka - who was basically playing a weaker version of the peak power game Soderling himself employed to beat Nadal and Federer
Not so sure about that. Both were redlining pretty hard.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Not so sure about that. Both were redlining pretty hard.
If you put Soderling's 2009 performance (vs Nadal) up against Djokovic 2015, I think most agree Soderling would win the match.

On the other hand, Wawrinka with his 2015 performance vs 2009 Nadal takes a set at best imo. Beating prime Nadal on clay over 5 sets was mission almost impossible, what Soderling did that day was crazy.

Registered
Deserve has nothing to do with it. The fluker in chief with 9 fluke wins ... he didn't deserve any of them. lol. Winning tournaments is not about deserving. It never has been never will be. You are telling me Dimitrov didn't deserve to win last Wimbledon?

Registered
The obvious answer is neither.
S枚derling beat a hampered, emotionally impaired Nadal (his parents' separation), while Djokovic beat 2015dal. Both failed to convert their chances in the final, against an opponent who was not invincible for them. At least S枚derling beat Federer 1 year later in RG, and Djokovic beat Wawrinka on clay before.

Banned
More Djokovic hating threads and trying to put him down from butthurt deluded Fedal fans. :facepalm:

Registered
Nole's RG record is pretty crazy innit?
Made 3 Finals and another 4 SFs.
What.
The.
Fuck.

Lendl-eqsue, Ivan made 2 Wimby Finals and another 5 SFs.

Sometimes it's just not meant to be.
Maybe it's even more beautiful this way?

Deserved, not deserved, don't care. It's just that - history.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
More Djokovic hating threads and trying to put him down from butthurt deluded Fedal fans. :facepalm:
Djokovic had the easiest draw ever this year and he still didn't win. Declined Nadal who'd have been beaten by every other QFist except Ferrer, then Clayray was sick in the SF and then Wawrinka in the final. Soderling's draws were simply far tougher by comparison :shrug:

The result of the tennis matches is based on objective results rather than subjective (e.g. contests where it is based on the judges) so only the one who fulfilled the requirements of winning the Final match are the only ones who deserved it, no if or butts, no personal view, IMO.

Registered
Nole's RG record is pretty crazy innit?
Made 3 Finals and another 4 SFs.
What.
The.
Fuck.

Lendl-eqsue, Ivan made 2 Wimby Finals and another 5 SFs.

Sometimes it's just not meant to be.
Maybe it's even more beautiful this way?

Deserved, not deserved, don't care. It's just that - history.
He will get more chances but it is not about deserving. Deserve is for the weak. You make things happen or die trying. Nole tried his best. Soderling tried his best. I am sad that he won't get another shot. Nole is lucky to have more shots. Soderling won't have any more

1 - 20 of 56 Posts