Mens Tennis Forums banner

So?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like MTF rates that Soderling RG2009-performance as one of the greatest ever. I can name at least three opponents who played better tennis against rafa in RG and still lost:
Mathieu 2006
Isner 2011
Brands 2013

Soderling wasn't even playing great for his standards. He made tons of silly errors...And Nadal's level....was bad and he has been amazingly unclutch. Thoughts?

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Don't want to be rude or sth but I tend towards the last option :p

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
No, it was one of the highest consistent level ever you will see from bighitter on clay over Bo5. Unbelievable.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Nadal's dominance at RG is the second most overrated thing after Federer's dominance during weak 04-07 era.

Soderling proved that it doesn't take much to beat Rafa at RG: just a big guy capable of hodling his serve, hitting big and blowing players off the court. Nadal's dominance showcases that such players are absent on the tour. Just think about it. Soderling got virus in 2011 and Del Potro fights his whole career against injuries. They're 2 most potent players capable of beating Rafa on Chatrier. Djokovic is a great clay courter, but he lacks the firepower and is way too prone to heat meltdowns.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Soderling played well, he was very good in this match. But let's be honest, Nadal was shit in that match. Especially in the key moments (and I don't think he was injured, he was just bad that day).

I think that the level of Soderling was better against Federer the next year in QF.

So overall, I agree: this performance is a bit overrated for me

·
Banned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No, it was one of the highest consistent level ever you will see from bighitter on clay over Bo5. Unbelievable.
That probably would be Verkerk (at least from what i saw and how i feel it). Nadal against brands in 2013 was playing better than in 2009. Daniel could have won that 2nd with some soderling-like luck/clutch...And then who knows.His fh and serve was firing that day..Rafa obliterated soderling with ease next two years :shrug:

·
Banned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soderling played well, he was very good in this match. But let's be honest, Nadal was shit in that match. Especially in the key moments (and I don't think he was injured, he was just bad that day).

I think that the level of Soderling was better against Federer the next year in QF.

So overall, I agree: this performance is a bit overrated for me
Yeah, most of his shots from fh even from good positions were landing before service line :lol:

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Nadal always takes a pause after deadly performances from his opponents like he did after Soderling's one at RG-09, Rosol's victory at Wimbledon-12 and Kyrgios win at Wimby-14 which means that Robin's victory is totally legit:yeah:

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Dementieva predicted that Nadal wouldn't win that French Open (to everyone's shock) because he seemed tired, it was a good performance but it's dead obvious he wasn't in peak shape.

·
Banned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Nadal's dominance at RG is the second most overrated thing after Federer's dominance during weak 04-07 era.

Soderling proved that it doesn't take much to beat Rafa at RG: just a big guy capable of hodling his serve, hitting big and blowing players off the court. Nadal's dominance showcases that such players are absent on the tour. Just think about it. Soderling got virus in 2011 and Del Potro fights his whole career against injuries. They're 2 most potent players capable of beating Rafa on Chatrier. Djokovic is a great clay courter, but he lacks the firepower and is way too prone to heat meltdowns.
Nadal crushed soderling in 2010 and 2011 EASILY. Del Potro lost 2 5-setters to federer of all people here and you think he would trouble clay GOAT
. Nadal is just too good at RG. Deal with it.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Soderling was fueled by hate and aggressive feelings from the humiliation in Rome weeks before. Take a look at this clip of a desperate Soderfraud groveling for a game.

I doubt he could have won without the full power of the Dark Side.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,452 Posts
Soderling's level in that match was crazy good. Nadal wasn't playing badly at all and still got comfortably beaten. That's how good the Swede played.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
So Soderling crushed Nadal but wasn't even playing well? Ok. Are you sure you actually like Nadal?

The Dull fans are losing their minds.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Nadal crushed soderling in 2010 and 2011 EASILY. Del Potro lost 2 5-setters to federer of all people here and you think he would trouble clay GOAT
. Nadal is just too good at RG. Deal with it.
Soderling was weak in FO-10 final just like in FO-09 final because he played tough 5 setters in semis. Robin proved that when he's fresh he can school both Nadal and Federer at RG. In 2011 Soderking wasn't the same player affected by mono and retiring soon. Del Potro showed how it should be done vs Nadal in Davis Cup taking him to the cleaners in the first set(6-1).

Nadal's dominance is overrated because of weak clay era, plain and simple . Guga would demolish Rafa 7 times out of 10:wavey:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts