Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some famous Swedes get the opportunity to speak for an hour on a popular radio show in Public radio during the summers.

Söderling was the one today and he finally confirmed the truth about what happened. He had mono at first but the actual reason he retired was mental illness/depression. The last thing he wanted was to step on a tennis court. In his words: “even someone putting a gun to by head wouldn’t make me step on the court again”.

I haven't listened to the full episode yet but will translate some nuggets later, as RS still seems to be of interest here.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It all fell apart the day before he was supposed to play Louk Sorensen at the US Open. He was dining on Manhattan with his team and just started crying, saying he couldn't possibly play the next day. Nobody tried to convince him otherwise and the next day he went to Flushing Meadows and told him the tournament doctor that he was suffering from a terrible headache and couldn't move.

Little did he know he would never play a professional match again but he stayed in his hotel bed for 4 days, only leaving the room briefly to get some fresh air..

Soderling also speaks of how he put immense pressure on himself and struggled to cope with losses, I suppose this mental strain and pressure might have been a contributing factor.

·
Registered
17,841 Posts
It all fell apart the day before he was supposed to play Louk Sorensen at the US Open. He was dining on Manhattan with his team and just started crying, saying he couldn't possibly play the next day. Nobody tried to convince him otherwise and the next day he went to Flushing Meadows and told him the tournament doctor that he was suffering from a terrible headache and couldn't move.

Little did he know he would never play a professional match again but he stayed in his hotel bed for 4 days, barely being able to move.

Soderling also speaks of how he put immense pressure on himself and struggled to cope with losses, I suppose this mental strain and pressure might have been a contributing factor.
Wow....

And I thought that would have been a really interesting USO, potential QF match-up with Murray.

Crazy how vulnerable people are.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some famous Swedes get the opportunity to speak for an hour on a popular radio show in Public radio during the summers.

Söderling was the one today and he finally confirmed the truth about what happened. He had mono at first but the actual reason he retired was mental illness/depression. The last thing he wanted was to step on a tennis court. In his words: “even someone putting a gun to by head wouldn’t make me step on the court again”.

I haven't listened to the full episode yet but will translate some nuggets later, as RS still seems to be of interest here.

He went from crushing the tour to M-I-A because of crippling depression? I am no minimizing mental illness but its too convenient for me, I always thought he retired because of a silent lifetime ban.

If the depression thing is true he could've got the mental help he needed and returned in 2014, he would still be only 30 and be able to makes €10s millions and push for slam titles..

Soderling retirement still is one of the big tennis mysteries

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Thanks for posting! Miss him!

·
9,680 Posts

Little did he know he would never play a professional match again but he stayed in his hotel bed for 4 days, only leaving the room briefly to get some fresh air..

The fear of playing the famous louk sorensen.....

Seriously, shame to hear!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Sad to hear this, he achieved greatness at the French Open and will always have a place in tennis history

Reactions: Xristos

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Honestly, i need a bit more evidence to believe it, like other players testimony of him crying or interviews from back then.

I am not saying he is lying but it sounds a bit far fetched to believe.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Tough to hear but he had unique achievements and definitely earned his place among remembered tennis players. This is proof that it is not success but happiness that is most important. He may of had good success but depression prevented him from achieving more and ultimately retiring.

·
Registered
17,841 Posts
He went from crushing the tour to M-I-A because of crippling depression? I am no minimizing mental illness but its too convenient for me, I always thought he retired because of a silent lifetime ban.

If the depression thing is true he could've got the mental help he needed and returned in 2014, he would still be only 30 and be able to makes €10s millions and push for slam titles..

oh damn, it was that simple?

·
Your visions will happen
49,321 Posts

Wow, incredible.

I always bought the mono story. Crazy he won Bastad 2011, destroying Berdych and Ferrer back to back SF and F 6-1 6-0 and 6-2 6-2. He was still top 5 in the world then. So crazy how he had such depression after that.

For him to have accomplished what he accomplished, defeating prime Nadal and then prime Fed back to back in 09 and 10 at RG, incredible level he displayed. But it is not easy. I cannot imagine the pressure he must have been under at home. To consolidate that position to win slams, to ascend to #1 himself, why not?

It appears he did catch mono but after couple months he was ok and the rest was depression? God I hate that so much, mental pressure and mental demons are a real thing and not to be taken lightly. Glad he was able to get out while he could and keep his sanity. He is still young there are many things he can still do in the game and the world.

·
Registered
711 Posts

You really know nothing about mental health, do you?

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is a vastly unexplored relationship between mono and depression. If you want to read about it, search for EBV virus and CFS syndrome.

So I am not surprised to hear those news. It all started with the mono and from there he didn‘t find a way back.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Mmmm I take everything professional sportsmen say with a pinch of salt.... or anyone famous for that matter.... maybe it's the full truth, maybe it's not.... he did seem to have rubbed a few players up the wrong way before this... or maybe uncle Toni got out the voodoo doll.... and stuck a knife in it... or who knows....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Honestly, i need a bit more evidence to believe it, like other players testimony of him crying or interviews from back then.

I am not saying he is lying but it sounds a bit far fetched to believe.
I guess you think he is lying, when you do not believe what he says.

It is sad that people lost trust, and often do not want to trust.

I mean, how should I trust in what YOU say?

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I guess you think he is lying, when you do not believe what he says.

It is sad that people lost trust, and often do not want to trust.

I mean, how should I trust in what YOU say?
It is called healthy skepticism.. I would love to be sure of what he said... His depressive state on the tour would have been documented or at least there would have been anecdotes surfacing, there is nothing, or at least i have never seen anything.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I watched him practice at Flushing Meadows right before he pulled out. I even have a photo of him, hands on hips, head hanging down, looking extremely dejected. Little did I know at the time that he would never play again.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts