Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yet he is praised for it and called by many the greatest of all time.

Why is it that when roger uses it to bail himself out of trouble he is critizised by it instead of praised?

the only one I hear really praising his serve is sampras himself.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Roger has the best serve in the game.

People who criticize it are daft and sometimes unwilling to accept that serve is an integral part of the game.

There's lots of idiots on MTF.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea well, if they still do, it's only for one reason alone, the fact that he has more slams than anyone in history and if they think he is the best ever then they better prepare moving loyalties soon... because that one stat that kept sampras as the best of all time (for some people) will be surpased by federer and if many who said sampras was the best ever still don't accept federer as the best even when he surpases the slam record then they are a bunch of hypocrites.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
yea well, if they still do, it's only for one reason alone, the fact that he has more slams than anyone in history and if they think he is the best ever then they better prepare moving loyalties soon... because that one stat that kept sampras as the best of all time (for some people) will be surpased by federer and if many who said sampras was the best ever still don't accept federer as the best even when he surpases the slam record then they are a bunch of hypocrites.
*brain explodes*

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
As I've said before, the serve is an integral of the game and that's how it always will be.

I've always been up front about it, and to be honest, I feel like some players are cheated when they have a solid all-round game, and their opponent is purely an ace machine who can serve their way to a win. As frustrating and dull as players like that can be for me, they're well within the rules of tennis so people just have to accept it. In an ideal world, the most complete player would always win, but that's not how it goes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Without an unfair topspin, Nadal will have no slams.

Without an unfair serve, Roddick will have no slams.

Without an unfair timing, Agassi will have no slams.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

thats exactly what I am saying, yet if you take Roger's serve away, he would still have a bunch of slams, if you take away his forehand, he would still have a bunch of slams (not as many) and if you take away his backhand, he would probably have 20 :)

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
His serve is not only great but quite beautiful and so intelligent. However it is not the best in the game, not even top 5.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
As I've said before, the serve is an integral of the game and that's how it always will be.

I've always been up front about it, and to be honest, I feel like some players are cheated when they have a solid all-round game, and their opponent is purely an ace machine who can serve their way to a win. As frustrating and dull as players like that can be for me, they're well within the rules of tennis so people just have to accept it. In an ideal world, the most complete player would always win, but that's not how it goes.
So right now we are very close to an ideal world, as the most complete player right now is winning everything. :devil: Federer is hardly just an ace-machine, am I not right, hehe

·
Banned
3,123 Posts

Federer would still win grand slams without his unfair serve, in fact he would win grand slams taking any particular weapon away from him but probably not be close to as dominant.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
His serve is not only great but quite beautiful and so intelligent. However it is not the best in the game, not even top 5.
and who are the 5 "better" ones?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no but what I mean is you know how roger like you know rafa has great topspin and agasi had great timing and movement specialy before he married stephi but stephi was another story unlike roger who has a great forehand but has trouble when he is set point down on some situations in clay but that jumping smash he did to emulate sampras was a nice touch to add to his foundation so anyways, tony roach helped him alot but when they split ways mirka used her texting to try to contact him but he was praising gasquet too much I never understood that, why does he do that on set point down, it's like he is scared of losing but he wins like that tournament in the usa long ago when he won against that great player with the good volley, he needs to be more creative when it comes to mentaly tough situations or else he wont be able to keep his wits about him in the next olympics where wining gold is about the most important thing there is for him, almost as an atp trophy but god nalbandian really uped his game he has a great underhookspinside shot that only federer can emulate but he didnt cos he was tired from wining too much cos that year was awesome, some serious display of skill i couldn't believe it i was watching in the tv and yelled out loud "OOOOHH!!" cos i couldnt believe it like when he told murphy being important is nice but its more important to be nice, thats some class he has that great class from unicef and his friendship with shakira.

GOLDEN SLAM 2008 BEOTCHEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Exactly, Karlovic, Isner, Roddick, Johansson, Ljubicic, Querrey, Guccione...

But, how many of them can serve 4 aces in a row being 0-30 against their nemeses? :devil:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Take away everyone's unfair advantages, nobody will win Slam titles outright, and we'll just decide on the results using "Rock paper and scissors".

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
So right now we are very close to an ideal world, as the most complete player right now is winning everything. :devil: Federer is hardly just an ace-machine, am I not right, hehe
We don't need to dispute that :p

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Exactly, Karlovic, Isner, Roddick, Johansson, Ljubicic, Querrey, Guccione...

But, how many of them can serve 4 aces in a row being 0-30 against their nemeses? :devil:
Karlovic doesnt have a "nemesis" but served 5 aces in a row 0-40 down against Haas and 0-30 down I almost expect Karlovic to get serious and serve 2-3 aces atleast. So, sorry but it is still amazing that Federer can concentrate so much at situations of extreme pressure.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Karlovic doesnt have a "nemesis" but served 5 aces in a row 0-40 down against Haas and 0-30 down I almost expect Karlovic to get serious and serve 2-3 aces atleast. So, sorry but it is still amazing that Federer can concentrate so much at situations of extreme pressure.
Jurgen Melzer 5 Ivo Karlovic 0

There it is Ivo is a pigeon and you were the one who was bagging Federer's service this year and now you love it.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Jurgen Melzer 5 Ivo Karlovic 0

There it is Ivo is a pigeon and you were the one who was bagging Federer's service this year and now you love it.
A pigeon is not a nemesis, he is just a pigeon.

No, I think it lacks power and that power would help him specialy on slower surfaces. I just said it doesnt belong to the elite but it is a smart serve with good accuracy and variety.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts