Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who are the biggest overachievers in ATP history? Players who have gone beyond their potential in a big way and made something of themselves that perhaps they never should have?

As a lifelong Tim Henman fan I will obviously nominate him. He had a very small stature and ridiculously weak serve (arguably the most important shot in tennis) but was a threat at Wimbledon several times over and challenged at the French and US as well. He was consistently in the top ten for the better part of a decade despite having little to no power in his game.

Who else?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Well, obviously Federer cause many have already said that he took advantage between the end of the Sampras/Agassi era (too old) and the beginning of Nadal/Djoko/Murray era (too young). Otherwise he would have at most 10 slams (if that).

Don't get me wrong, Federer would still be one of the greats in any era, but he definitely overachieved.

Others would be Gaudio and Johansson fluking a slam.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Nadal currently benefiting from worst young generation in history. He vastly overachieved in 2010 as well as he got benefitted from decline of Fed generation plus his generation I.e.Murray, Djokovic were totally off.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nadal currently benefiting from worst young generation in history. He vastly overachieved in 2010 as well as he got benefitted from decline of Fed generation plus his generation I.e.Murray, Djokovic were totally off.
I second this.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts

Lol you Nadal haters are predicting that he's gonna lose to Klizan, if not then to Rosol and if not then to Karlovic, because they are all talented. But if he beats them then it's because they suck. Sorry but you cant have it both ways. Btw Djoko and Murray are as good as ever, but Nadal broke them down mentally. He's in a league by himself at this point not because the others suck but because he's too good.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Lol you Nadal haters are predicting that he's gonna lose to Klizan, if not then to Rosol and if not then to Karlovic, because they are all talented. But if he beats them then it's because they suck. Sorry but you cant have it both ways. Btw Djoko and Murray are as good as ever, but Nadal broke them down mentally. He's in a league by himself at this point not because the others suck but because he's too good.

Nadal certainly needs some really knowledgeable, intelligent fans on MTF I believe. Since All time great like Nadalrecord, Blue clay got banned, his fan base needs some new blood to counterbalance Noserertard. This reply shows that.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Rosewall! At only 5-7, 140lbs. he became one of the very greatest players of all time, usually beating men much bigger than he was. Also, he was a natural lefty who was forced to play righty because that was what his father saw in tennis insstruction books. Experts have said that his serve probably would have been better as a natural lefty. He did not have a fast serve, but it did usually have great placement.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Federer, Djokovic, Murray

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Robredo and Granollers

·
Registered
70 Posts
Who are the biggest overachievers in ATP history? Players who have gone beyond their potential in a big way and made something of themselves that perhaps they never should have?

As a lifelong Tim Henman fan I will obviously nominate him. He had a very small stature and ridiculously weak serve (arguably the most important shot in tennis) but was a threat at Wimbledon several times over and challenged at the French and US as well. He was consistently in the top ten for the better part of a decade despite having little to no power in his game.

Who else?
I would actually class Henners as an underachiever, his game wasn't based on power it's true but he played in an era where the courts were faster this was less of a disadvantage than the modern game. He should have had a grand slam and would have had one if it wasn't for mental weakness and Pistol Pete at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Well we have some slam champions that nobody heard about them - like Gaudio. I am not Nadal hater but honestly Nadal overachieved, not saying by much, but he did-no way he would have 2USO and 2WImbledons in other time and with faster surfaces, also 9xRG is questionable with more clay-courters and so on.

Also if we look at some top 10 mugs from last few years, i like Janko Tipsarevic, but he was always top 50, happy to be top 30 guy and than out of nowhere 2x year in row in top 10, also Melzer was top 10, Monaco is clay courter who has no businnes to go far on HC tournaments and so on. From slam winners we can go in history like some mugs that never won anything besides slam

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Muger Frauderer :eek:

Would have about 5 slams if he had played in a strong era with challenging rivals and diverse court conditions

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Nadalfan2013, you have no leg to stand on talking about what Federer fans say about Rafa since you say Roger would have 10 Slams if he was born later. That is a statement that absolutely has no evidence to back it up.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Crocodilovic has also overachieved :eek:

Disgraceful that he has a Wimbledon trophy, Nadal should be flogged for losing that final :mad:

Fortunately he has a terrible record in slam finals :devil:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts