Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should the rest of the season be cancelled?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the one hand we are in the middle of the raging pandemics, but on the other hand considering everything maybe we have to learn to live with this virus instead of suspending all activities.

So what do you say - should the rest of the season be cancelled or not? Vote on this public poll and discuss.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
No, that would be premature.

Indoor tennis will be impossible till a vaccine is made, hence the early cancellation of the tournaments.

But I believe outdoor tennis is possible. But of course, it depends on the situation in the country.

So what we really need to do is to throw tradition overboard in this uncertain time and just play where its as save as possible.

Scheduling tennis tournaments in the US right now is absolutely madness. The whole US swing should have been cancelled months ago, so we could have planned alternatives. Now the season most likely starts on clay.

In Switzerland, we have a "black list" for countries where the virus is out of control. This can serve as a benchmark where tennis surely should not be played:

Argentina
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Bahrain
Belarus
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Dominican Republic
Honduras
Iraq
Israel
Cape Verde
Qatar
Colombia
Kosovo
Kuwait
Moldova
North Macedonia
Oman
Panama
Peru
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Sweden
Serbia (nice job, NoVacc DjoCovid)
South Africa
Turks and Caicos Islands
United States of America

·
Registered
17,825 Posts

The season is on.

Thiem said so.

Period.

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
Great pic, man. On a side note: Nike, Adidas and Red Bull can live together and look fine. ;)
Thanks man.

Pic is alright, right? When I took it I felt nervous and didnt wanna take too long to get myself right in the frame, but when I looked at it, it looks quite alright to me? I actually like it very much.

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
They should either get on with it and stop whinging about it, or not play at all. I'm sick of hearing people complaining about it, and I'm sick of hearing tennis players complaining about everything. You're highly trained professional athletes in the peak of your life. Covid-19 is no threat to you. But if you're that tremulously scared then don't go. Stop moaning about the authorities. Just put up, or shut up.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
The hidden purpose of this thread is obvious, otherwise the poll would be reduced to two options. Unfortunately, judging by the results, it backfired.

·
justice for all
16,245 Posts
The hidden purpose of this thread is obvious, otherwise the poll would be reduced to two options. Unfortunately, judging by the results, it backfired.
But but... the OP said he was unbiased.
Can the unbiased have an agenda though? 🤥

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Waiting for @Stan del Potro take on this one . I'd go for option I am a tennis fan and tennis should be only played in Europe ONLY if anyone's country in the world is able to travel and participate. Otherwise yes should be cancelled

If my country's still on black list and Delpo or anyone not allowed Im gonna be mad at the sport

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
They should either get on with it and stop whinging about it, or not play at all. I'm sick of hearing people complaining about it, and I'm sick of hearing tennis players complaining about everything. You're highly trained professional athletes in the peak of your life. Covid-19 is no threat to you. But if you're that tremulously scared then don't go. Stop moaning about the authorities. Just put up, or shut up.
But it's not up to the players or is it ?? It's much more complicated , it's about communities and gov policies first, financial issues on tournaments then ask the players if the wanna go

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Federer only has his records because he avoided Novak and Nadal in 13 of his slam wins.
Also, in 2006 Nadal (just turned 20) was still too green to beat him on the grass in the Wimb final, as was teenager Djokovic in AO'07 4R and also arguably in USO'07 final (20 y.o. Djokovic' first slam final), so, it is 15 or 16 slams without peak Rafole on the particular surface.

Teenager Nadal was already a bo3 & bo5 clay beast, as was 19 y.o. Djokovic at bo3 HC masters but was still not capable of beating Federer in bo5 HC rubber, who was already a HC co-goat with Sampras/Agassi.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Novak fans wanting more opportunities for Novak to chase the slam record is expected.

Nadal fans and no-Big 3 fans seem to have more balanced and unbiased approach to this question. 19 is close enough to 20 anyway.

But what about Federer fans? Why exactly do they want this season to continue in these circumstances? Are they the die hard fans of the game or just straight up delusional thinking Fed could play and win?

*message to my haters: you at least didn't trash my signature this time. that's a progress.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Novak fans wanting more opportunities for Novak to chase the slam record is expected.

Nadal fans and no-Big 3 fans seem to have more balanced and unbiased approach to this question. 19 is close enough to 20 anyway.

But what about Federer fans? Why exactly do they want this season to continue in these circumstances? Are they the die hard fans of the game or just straight up delusional thinking Fed could play and win?

*message to my haters: you at least didn't trash my signature this time. that's a progress.
I am a Federer fan but I want the season to happen because I am a tennis fan first and foremost

1 - 20 of 28 Posts