Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Novak's decline started at AO 2017 and made the fortunes of Fedal. Now he's back, we can anticipate a less fortunate future for them, especially Fed...

But my question is how come it took Novak almost 2 years to comeback to his former level?

I mean, supposedly, he had an elbow injury: but why would it take 3-5 times more recuperation duration than a meniscus (Fed) or a wrist/hip injury (Nadal)?

It doesn't make any sense.

This whole 2 years time-off remains unexplained in my view.

·
Registered
956 Posts
No two injuries are alike and no two recoveries are alike.

For example you could have two people both suffering from carpel tunnel syndrome. One is more serious but post surgery takes quick time to recover. Another is less serious is eventually operated on and then taken months to recover.

What Nadal suffered, what Federer suffered and what Djokovic suffered cannot be measured in the same way.

All you can do is hope that they eventually do heal and take medical advice to ensure it doesn't re-occur or lead to other injuries.

One other thing, Djokovic had surgery on his main arm, the arm he uses to serve, play FH shots, sliced BHs and place on the racquet to hit topspin BHs. That's a pretty important body part.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Players have ups and downs. It took Nadal longer to be back to his best (RG 2014-AO 2017).
Rafa had many physical issues, and his game is way more physical than Nole's.
His uncle was running him into the ground, and Nole sucked every drop of energy he had left whenever they met.

Still the decline is totally unexplained.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No two injuries are alike and no two recoveries are alike.

For example you could have two people both suffering from carpel tunnel syndrome. One is more serious but post surgery takes quick time to recover. Another is less serious is eventually operated on and then taken months to recover.

What Nadal suffered, what Federer suffered and what Djokovic suffered cannot be measured in the same way.

All you can do is hope that they eventually do heal and take medical advice to ensure it doesn't re-occur or lead to other injuries.

One other thing, Djokovic had surgery on his main arm, the arm he uses to serve, play FH shots, sliced BHs and place on the racquet to hit topspin BHs. That's a pretty important body part.
You don't take 2 years to recover from carpal tunnel syndrome surgery: more like 3-5 months.

Fibro-cartilage damage (meniscus) is way more difficult to heal than tendon injuries.

·
Registered
956 Posts
You don't take 2 years to recover from carpal tunnel syndrome surgery: more like 3-5 months.

Fibro-cartilage damage (meniscus) is way more difficult to heal than tendon injuries.
You're missing the point. No two injuries are alike, even the same injury can affect different people in different ways. I used the carpel surgery as an example only.

Maybe it took Djokovic much longer because he was reluctant to use surgery?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And it wasn't just the elbow: back in AO 2017; novak's legs looked like spaghettis and he seemed to have escaped from a concentration camp, so thin was he.

Now, his legs have filled up again.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, grass was Nadal's worst surface to beat Nole.

Not only that, but Wimbledon organizers f....d him in the ass big time by allowing the semi to play over 2 days.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think we had this discussion while Novak was in his recovery phase. I think it can be put down to

1) His injury had a direct impact on the formation of his strokes, most significantly, his serve.

2) I think this left him with less than absolute confidence in his game and it takes time for that to recover and adapt.

People also talk about his reduced fitness levels, which I think were an issue and quite probably also part of his overall confidence deficit, and part of that was down to the fact that he seemingly didn't take the advice of others, to get the elbow fixed, instead to manage it. That meant he quite quickly found himself playing a lot less than he did before and lost that match hardness that was one of his greatest strengths.

There is also the mental side, but we don't really know enough about his personal circumstances and issues to be sure of the part that played, although if the rumours of marital difficulties were true, or the motivation fall off following his period of domination, it's easy to understand why that might make recovery longer.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
Novak's decline started at AO 2017 and made the fortunes of Fedal. Now he's back, we can anticipate a less fortunate future for them, especially Fed...

But my question is how come it took Novak almost 2 years to comeback to his former level?

I mean, supposedly, he had an elbow injury: but why would it take 3-5 times more recuperation duration than a meniscus (Fed) or a wrist/hip injury (Nadal)?
That's because he delayed surgery for most of that time and only had the procedure somewhere in early February, so he came back pretty soon actually if you count the time from the actual surgery.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
After surgery he was out of shape and unfit. His footwork was not good. Took him some time to regain fitness. I cannot be bothered to recant this in detail...he tried to wing it initially but then realized he has to put hours of work...

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I still think Novak has to prove himself on slower courts. Grass is a surface that can fill some holes on your game, most likely, the lack of heaviness or pace on your shots (hence guys like Mannarino can do well on grass).

Want to see on a slower court if Nole would be able to mantain the consistency/agressivity duo that made him many dollars and trophies. :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yes he was distracted by this Amor y paz BS. Nole was very emotional the whole time in wimbledon very different from Amor y Paz persona for the last 12 months.

and also if the rumors were true, his marriage was on the edge a year ago.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think it was just rusty and it was also mentally hard for him. first of all he had to be injury free, then it was only a matter of time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts