Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would have thought! :surprise:

Now Nadal goes onto the clay a mere 600 pts behind Djoker after hardcourts, so anything can happen.

The #1 race, which looked all over after AO, is now very much in play. If Rafa stays healthy that is. Hell even Roger has a chance cause he'll be #1 if he wins Miami

·
Registered
235 Posts
Novak has to start giving a shit about non-Slam events if he wants to remain #1. I wonder if low-key this could help him at the FO because he'll have less miles on his body. He better have a deep run at at least one of Madrid or Rome though.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

Now Nadal goes onto the clay a mere 600 pts behind Djoker after hardcourts, so anything can happen.

The #1 race, which looked all over after AO, is now very much in play. If Rafa stays healthy that is. Hell even Roger has a chance cause he'll be #1 if he wins Miami
Djokovic is pretty safe to remain at #1 at least until USO, since now Nadal first has to defend more than half of his points in the clay season. The race for YE1 is still open, of course. This is never over after less than one quarter of the year. Just remember where Djokovic was in the race after half the season last year, or Murray in 2016.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Novak has to start giving a shit about non-Slam events if he wants to remain #1. I wonder if low-key this could help him at the FO because he'll have less miles on his body. He better have a deep run at at least one of Madrid or Rome though.
Sampras was y.e. no.1 in 1996 and 1998 with the same amount of GS titles, GS finals and masters titles as Djokovic in 2019 so far.

I'd rather see him as y.e. no.2 like in 2016 with two slams, regardless on the masters resume, than as y.e. no.1 like in 2012 with AO + three masters + WTF + two slam finals.

Every multiple slam season is a great season, especially if you are 32 y.o.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

That is a really, really big if. We all know how it will play out:

1. Nadal playing every clay tournament possible, running around like a rabbit
2. Nadals body breaks down after Wimbledon

Djokovic will hold Number 1 easily. Nadals body is way too fragile, and Federer is too inconsistant.

·
Registered
956 Posts
What it says to us is that Nadal was more prepared for the tournament he did play than Djokovic for either. Preparation is key, no need to overplay like they've done in the past, but in the case of Djokovic, definitely don't underplay.

·
|
14,306 Posts
So Rafa didn't even play the AO in 2013 and still finished #1, and somehow there is a person who thought "the #1 race looked all over after the AO".
Wow.
I never gave Djokovic a chance of winning the French Open (since this isn't the 2015 version of Rafa) so I knew Rafa would be leading the race by June no matter what Djokovic did at Miami :armed:

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Rafa went into the clay season well ahead of Djokovic on points last year and extended the lead, but still didn't finish YE #1. Djokovic can pick up loads of points from anywhere.

·
|
14,306 Posts
Rafa went into the clay season well ahead of Djokovic on points last year and extended the lead, but still didn't finish YE #1. Djokovic can pick up loads of points from anywhere.
That would be entirely reliant on Rafa retiring hurt at the US Open again :armed:

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
its too early to count Novak out yet

·
Registered
284 Posts
He really doesn't have anything to chase at the momement when it comes to these masters tournaments and when he's leading so much in the rankinings besides to rafa it's cleary his motivation isn't there at there right now.

Sure he could do it easier for himselfby reaching a final or winning one of the titles in the SD, since he lost early there to last year also so he didn't have like have points to defend and these points would be bonus points for the brutal points defend he has to do post french open.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Hilarious

Woulda won IW too minus injury.

And MIA as well.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts

Are you kidding? Race over in January? Obviously it was still wide open and I wouldn't say that only Big3 could win it.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Sampras was y.e. no.1 in 1996 and 1998 with the same amount of GS titles, GS finals and masters titles as Djokovic in 2019 so far.

I'd rather see him as y.e. no.2 like in 2016 with two slams, regardless on the masters resume, than as y.e. no.1 like in 2012 with AO + three masters + WTF + two slam finals.

Every multiple slam season is a great season, especially if you are 32 y.o.
With what Big3 have accomplished so far, especially for Roger, Novak (since they also did win WTF lot of times already), they would take a season with 1 slam and a YE Ranking of 10 over a season with 0 Slams + 5 Masters + 1 WTF + YE1.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
So Rafa didn't even play the AO in 2013 and still finished #1, and somehow there is a person who thought "the #1 race looked all over after the AO".
Wow.
I never gave Djokovic a chance of winning the French Open (since this isn't the 2015 version of Rafa) so I knew Rafa would be leading the race by June no matter what Djokovic did at Miami :armed:
You should make an avatar about this. What can go wrong?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts