Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
12,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us were a bit skeptical of this event when the originally announced it, but to me it a major success.

Tennis fans around the world congregated in Australia and created a unique atmosphere for the players. The matches were highly competitive for the most part and more importantly players were into it and matches were taken extremely seriously.

Now that the event is over, I want to hear everyone’s opinion. What could be changed next year? What was your favorite part or the highlight of the event? Should it remain on the calendar?

I think it would be pretty neat if they changed the location to European clay next year as a lead up into RG. Then they do European grass the year after leading up to W. Then in a couple years from now they do American HC leading up to USO.

I should’ve had a poll but forgot, so just discuss your opinions here instead.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Yes it was. Great atmosphere and fantastic matches. Attendance was also double that of the Hopman Cup last year : 220k vs 110k.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I still feel like they are playing for basically nothing (except points and money obviously) and I'd still rate it as an exhibition+ (particularly with how the group stages and the qualification for the K.O. system work), but it was obviously a success. Well placed (having a round robin system at the beginning of the year is great because it guarantees matches), well attended and mostly good match-ups for the stronger players.

Do I prefer this over Brisbane/Hopman Cup? Maybe not, but the difference isn't as big as I feared it would be for me.

Reactions: Tonofdreams

·
Registered
22,457 Posts
In comparison to what we previously had, BIGLY success.

Reactions: n00b

·
justice for all
18,844 Posts
Moderate. I feel like most players didn’t treat it with full committment but rather as a warmup before AO.
Also, it’s stupid to have 2 big team events within such short period of time. They should do something about it in the future cause otherwise players who take part in both won’t have enough rest and time for the off-season buildup.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Better impressions than I thought before of the start. But with this crowd and venue every tournament would be good. It will be fine for me if they back out of the points. This is not fair for the players who can't play there or have weak teams.
It would be better to give additional points for wins over top5, top10 etc in regular ATP tournaments and slams.

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Moderate. I feel like most players didn’t treat it with full committment but rather as a warmup before AO.
Also, it’s stupid to have 2 big team events within such short period of time. They should do something about it in the future cause otherwise players who take part in both won’t have enough rest and time for the off-season buildup.
Who? Don't say Thiem, because guy played his heart out, was just unlucky to face 2 peaking players.

·
Your visions will happen
52,886 Posts
Best part was the even money distribution between players and ATP, which should be the norm but is actually groundbreaking in tennis. Compared to Davis Cup where ITF gives the players per diem and treats them as amateurs, ATP Cup treats the players as adult professionals as they deserve to be. Dwight Davis himself in my opinion would prefer this ATP Cup as the true successor of his Davis Cup instead of the atrocity that the real Davis Cup has become

If I was commissioner of tennis and I hope to be one day, I'd get them in a room and figure this out. If we can axe Davis Cup entirely and promote ATP Cup even more, we really could make the calendar something proper

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
Many of us were a bit skeptical of this event when the originally announced it, but to me it a major success.

Tennis fans around the world congregated in Australia and created a unique atmosphere for the players. The matches were highly competitive for the most part and more importantly players were into it and matches were taken extremely seriously.

Now that the event is over, I want to hear everyone’s opinion. What could be changed next year? What was your favorite part or the highlight of the event? Should it remain on the calendar?

I think it would be pretty neat if they changed the location to European clay next year as a lead up into RG. Then they do European grass the year after leading up to W. Then in a couple years from now they do American HC leading up to USO.

I should’ve had a poll but forgot, so just discuss your opinions here instead.
That's not going to happen as they have signed a 10 year deal with Tennis Australia to host this event.

The tournament has been a massive success and far better than last year's Davis Cup

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm not really a fan of team events in general in tennis because it's an individual sport. I don't even really rate tennis in the Olympics because it's simply not the most important event on the calendar; it shouldn't even be in the Olympics, in my opinion.

Players tend to wax lyrical about events like the ATP Cup and the Olympics because they get to be in a team and represent their country, blah, blah, blah, but in the great scheme of things they mean nothing next to the Wimbledon final.

Personally, I think the Hopman Cup was more interesting because you had the opportunity to see top male and female players on the same court, which never happens at any other time.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Too many teams. Players need a day off. I like the play if 4 cities. But those playing far will have hard time.
All in all i like it.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Team tournaments in tennis haven't been taken seriously since about the 1920s. Not one of the flag-waving fakers on show today would swap this trinket for a Slam, a Masters or probably even a 500. The only good thing about it was Fed resting up while the rabble got enmeshed in lengthy battles under the hot sun.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts