Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His best win this entire year was against Janowicz. Losing left and right to players he beat a couple months ago, sometimes quite handily.

He already lost twice to Baghdatis this year.

His rise came out of nowhere, he’s been lurking around the Top 50-100 his entire career. Then Kitzbühel, Metz, Basel happened. Now watching him play you’d never guess that this guy is a Top 20 player (#21 as of now).

How the hell did he beat the likes of Raonic and Tsonga last year?

Is Flukefin back to his old mugging self?

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
He's had some injuries this year. I know he came into Davis Cup injured (forget what it was), and then he had to withdraw from IW with a rib injury.

Hopefully he gets back to 100% soon. :)

·
Administrator
14,827 Posts
He's not inflating his rank with Challengers? He's actually playing the ATP level now

Reactions: Yolita

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
When was Goffin not his mediocre self? :shrug:

Reactions: Yolita

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's not inflating his rank with Challengers? He's actually playing the ATP level now
Well d'oh that's exactly the point, he won two 250 events, made the final of a 500 event, and thus became a Top 20 player. He beat a couple of great players on his way and was just overall on a roll. Fast forward - he can't beat any Top 50 players anymore.
That's the topic of this thread: is he back to his old self?

·
Administrator
14,827 Posts
How the hell did he beat the likes of Raonic and Tsonga last year?
Tsonga was a mess last year, and he beat Raonic when he was just getting back from the flu.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Probably still getting used to the tour and the level of consistency he has to show week in week out. He was so much better than anyone else at the Challenger level and carried that momentum to complete his nice run late last year. I don't expect much from him at the masters/gs level this year. But he needs to start winning tour matches or any confidence he may have gained in the last few months will evaporate.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
He did (and still does) have a physical problem, though that's probably not a good excuse in tennis.

But I'm not sure if he even needs any excuse. It's not like he lost to players he should've definitely beat. I mean, Wawrinka in AO form, Bolelli (1-1 this season so far, though), Baghdatis (who would proceed to get very close to beating Dimitrov in the next round before his right leg gave in), Muller in great form (full-set loss), Thiem (retired in the first set due to physical pain), Nishikori (annihilated, but NID), Tsonga (outpowered), Kohli (full set)... you can't say that he would've definitely beat these players when he was supposedly playing well in the second half of last season (except Thiem, but David retired in that match). His best wins last season were indeed the ones against Tsonga and Raonic, but as for the former, that elbow problem was starting to seriously bother Tsonga, who would soon throw in the towel in Tokyo against the Polish player, whose name I can never spell correctly. The Raonic win was impressive, but not something that would suddenly turn you into a world beater.

David can still beat the Janowicz's and Haider-Maurer's of this world, and that's actually pretty much the level where he was last season too. He was simply a little luckier with draw and everything else than this year.

I enjoy his game anyway. I wish his physical condition were a little better, but he's never been known for endurance. And his being around top 20 is perfectly fine, too. F. Lopez has lost to Bedene, Estrella, Ilhan, Haase etc. this season, yet is still ranked almost-elite at #12. There is such a gap between top 8-9 and the rest that it really doesn't take much to reach top 20 anyway.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Goffin has done well from his Challenger level success from last year to lift his ranking up to automatic qualification in tournaments.Barring injury aside he should maintain and consolidate his ranking from here on end.

If not,he can always go back to writing good songs with Carole King ;)

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
This is a classic situation of recent years. The young player shows some good results and everyone is starting to expect it to new developments, but the player goes into the shadows. Nevertheless, I think Goffin will be stable TOP20 player.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts