Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How else to explain him playing at 10%?

Why else would he throw the gameplan that has worked for the last 4 years out the window?

Ironman plays like Clownavic because a little bit of sun? But no other problem can be found?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
He was on his death bed of course. No other explanation for him to lose to the greatest claycourter of all time.

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
i think he has stomach problem, saw him vomit a bit on court. Guess the hot weater caught him in the semi-final. But I thought he would be ok since he had 2 days to recover. He should blame his doctor :mad:

his body language of yesterday reminded me of him in wimby 2013. He is usually very lively but yesterday and in wimb y 2013, he just looked very listless and tired.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Rewatched the game to take it all in.

1st set Nadal gifted away a break w/ unforced errors left and right.

Second set was the only tightly contested set. Third set Djokovic was just spent - mentally too. 4th set Novak gathered his forces after throwing up and hydrating. Nadal had a scare moment w/ his back and serve pop but recovered after gifting a break. Both finished almost deflated - Novak simply committed too many errors to stay in the set in the end.

Level wasn't at 2013 level but 2013 wasn't at 2012 either so. Both players are declining. Time to get used to lower quality matches. It wasn't going to last forever. Both players weren't in top shape...different reasons for both.

Great match in the sense that both players gave it all. Effort wasn't an issue, the intensity was there throughout. You can't ask for something more - it's the sport.

Novak's sickness should be temp. His wrist however is as much a cause of concern as Nadal's back.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was on his death bed of course. No other explanation for him to lose to the greatest claycourter of all time.
Not about losing. He lost last year as well. He just played a really atrociously bad match, and looked out of sorts all day.

He didn't even play well in the set he won.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
this threat tittle reminds me of a (bad) joke -

On the phone - Boss, i'm sick, can't come in today
How sick are you?
Well, i'm in bed with my sister right now..

:lol:

So, how sick was Nole yesterday? Missing zillions CC BHs sick.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Honestly? They both looked awful. Nadal's iron will is stronger and so he won. I wish we could get the Novak of Rome final VS the Nadal of RG SF, that woulda been something.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Nadal said - hot humid weather right after 2 weeks of cold and rain made him cramp all over. Novak's problem was temporary and he should have won this 4th set and the match. He imploded spectacularly. Rafa faded after 4-2 but somehow crossed the line.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nadal said - hot humid weather right after 2 weeks of cold and rain made him cramp all over. Novak's problem was temporary and he should have won this 4th set and the match. He imploded spectacularly. Rafa faded after 4-2 but somehow crossed the line.
It's possible that the conditions really were that bad considering Nadal was struggling by the end too.

But I think Djokovic was sick coming in, can't really explain him playing so poor of a match otherwise.

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Even Marian Vajda mentioned his stomach problems in the official interview on rolangarros.com. So this issue was not insignificant

Nole just can't catch a break during a clay season in past several years. He just can't.
Death of a close friend or family and ankle injury in 2013, wrist injury and stomach issues/sickness in 2014.

Don't get me wrong, his mental lapses mostly contributed to his loss, but lack of energy due to his stomach problems prevented him to stage a comeback.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Rafa was lucky to survive the match.

1st set he did gift away but he would still have lost as Nole was playing colse to his best
2nd & 3rd set - Nole s problem meant he had to win.
4th set - Nole was back & Rafa was cramping and if he hadnt made it in 4 - it could ve been doubtful.

Its a stroke of luck that Nole got broken with a DF otherwise I could envisage a long drawn 5th set (no TB) with both battered and Nole winning.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
It was lowest quality Djokodal encounter since 2011. Djokovic was I'll and vomiting on court. I think he had flew. Nadal luck never seems to run away from away. Though his delusional fan base yelling vamos and pretending like Nadal did something special think twice, Tennis lost yesterday

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Thé loosers always call it luck. /unluck ~you create your luck. Djoko created his unluck with bad body language,braking raquets,Df on mp he is 3-9 vs nadal in grandslams ...nole looks sick when the figures not good for him ~why always so???

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
And these posters are always berating Nadal fans for making 'excuses' after losses :rolleyes: :lol:

Even when Nadal visibly couldn't walk during the AO final and couldn't serve or rally. Now it's Novak who was still able to compete very well, and now all of a sudden he was nearly on his deathbed. Oh, MTF :hearts:

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
He was definately struggling. Nadal too by the end of the fourth. He may have been carrying some illness over from the semis but I think it was the conditions that did them both in. Hot and humid, and the two have brutally physical rallies. Nadal was just a bit tougher mentally in the end. I think if Novak could have held his nerve he would have won in 5.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And these posters are always berating Nadal fans for making 'excuses' after losses :rolleyes: :lol:

Even when Nadal visibly couldn't walk during the AO final and couldn't serve or rally. Now it's Novak who was still able to compete very well, and now all of a sudden he was nearly on his deathbed. Oh, MTF :hearts:
You mean after he played his way to a set and a break down at 100% running for every ball and serving at his usual average numbers? :confused:

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
You mean after he played his way to a set and a break down at 100% running for every ball and serving at his usual average numbers? :confused:
Yeah, he wasn't injured in the first set...it was quite clear when his back started playing up, now wasn't it. But winning one set against Rafa is one thing, winning 3 would've been a whole different task. Surely after yesterday you should understand this

1 - 20 of 25 Posts