• AO 2012

Votes: 18 30.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
48,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He'd had plenty of opportunities since his Wimbly 08 breakthrough.

USO 08, first slam final, beaten by Fed.
AO 09, betting favorite going into the event, but lost to Verdasco
Wimbledon 09, losing to Roddick in the SF, I think this was his best chance.
USO 09- Was actually the #2 seed here, but lost disappointingly to Cilic in R16
AO 10- Epic TB vs. Fed in finals
Wimbledon 2010- Lost in straights to Nadal
AO 2011- Outclassed in finals vs. Djoker
Wimbledon 2011- Has Nadal right where he wants him before fucking up
USO 2011- Never really had a shot here, Nadal too good.
AO 2012- Took Djoker to 5 sets in SF

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
USO 08 Fed was lacking confidence and Murray just played the best match of his life and was really close to winning the second set in the final.

·
Banned
912 Posts
um, obviously the 2010 US Open :wavey:

anytime Nadal wins a tournament (much less a major) on a fast hard court means it was a massive opportunity for all other 127 players in the field.

including Murray

why is this even a question? :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
AO 2010 for me. He played below par but he was also fairly unlucky. If he'd been better and had more luck you never know.

Also Wimbledon 09 is a good shout, but against Federer on grass? Eh, tough one.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
i think it would have been a great chance to win a slam if he had won the semifinal against djoker at ao 2012...

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Yep, I'm going to go with the most recent one. If he had converted one of the break points against Djoker and some how pulled it out, he definitely would have performed better against Nadal than he had in previous finals.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, I'm going to go with the most recent one. If he had converted one of the break points against Djoker and some how pulled it out, he definitely would have performed better against Nadal than he had in previous finals.
Yep I agree, but also the Verdasco match sticks out. I remember waking up, hoping Andy would be through in 3-4 sets & the match was still ongoing at 2-2. I believe on that surface, Nadal was there for the taking & he would have had another chance in a final.

Wimbledon one's are difficult, Murray is at the stage of looking very Henman like in reaching comfortable semi finals but on grass still looks just under the top tier at this stage.

Hard courts still remain his best opportunities to win slams, for now. He found in very difficult to maintain a good level vs Nadal at Wimbers. Interesting to see what the year holds. His US open performances since 08 have been very up & down, semi final last year but losing to Cilic & Wawrinka were disappointing results.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
US Open 2008. Murray beat Federer in their two matches before this and their four matches afterwards (all on hard). Murray also didn't have much media pressure on him at this stage (relatively). Murray was in stunning form at the time, winning Cincinnati before the Open and going on a 14-match winning streak after.

AO 2008 wasn't Murray best chance, but winning more points in his match against eventual finalist in round one (Tsonga) was a brutal first round draw if I ever saw one.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Tough one;

Ill go with AO 08 though.

Hed have fancied his chanced against Rafa and Djokovic for sure.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I think Murray hasn´t chance to win a slam yet, sorry. In every tournament mentioned in poll you can find far better player.

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
US Open 2008. Murray beat Federer in their two matches before this and their four matches afterwards (all on hard). Murray also didn't have much media pressure on him at this stage (relatively). Murray was in stunning form at the time, winning Cincinnati before the Open and going on a 14-match winning streak after.

AO 2008 wasn't Murray best chance, but winning more points in his match against eventual finalist in round one (Tsonga) was a brutal first round draw if I ever saw one.
I remember watching that match and Federer putting on a forehand masterclass for the first two sets. So realistically not a great chance to win.

Reactions: NYCtennisfan

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
I remember watching that match and Federer putting on a forehand masterclass for the first two sets. So realistically not a great chance to win.
I stand by my choice. Murray was nervous in the first, lost it 6-2. But in the second I think he was the better player. Murray would have been up 3*-2 in that set had the linesperson not missed the call (at 4:02 in the video below) on the baseline on breakpoint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acr01iwvtpY

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Yep, that line call screwed Andy big time. Was definitely his best chance I say.
Then why the hell Murray did not take a challenge ? This thing is for situations like this.

He didn´t take it and then complained about that call ... :cuckoo:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Yes because a player is really going to stop play to challenge a ball on a huge point. :rolleyes:
Point is, if he hasn´t enough balls to take it, he has no right to complain. ;)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts