Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Sunday we witnessed an amazing snooker match. Robertson beat Trump 10-9 and it was the tightest match I've ever seen. No player had a 2-frame lead during the course of this long 7 hour match! We had all possible draws: 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, ..., 9-9. The probability of this is 1 in 512 (assuming both players are equally good) and even lower otherwise. I don't think it ever happened in such a long match.

Statistics aside, the drama was incredible. A lot of tactics (opposite to expectations of many big breaks by these profilic break-builders), very long frames. Trump had the situation under control at 9-8 (was leading by 48 points) and missed an easy pot (which may have cost him the match). Robertson then decided to hit a difficult and very risky brown ball, which proved decisive in that frame (he potted it). At 9-9 Robertson was one pot from winning it at some point but missed an easy red. The decisive frame lasted 75 minutes (!) and after a lot of tactics finally Robertson made a mistake which allowed Trump to clear the table. There were only 2 balls on the table and he missed the pink one! (it wasn't the easiest pot though as he had some problems with positioning). A moment later Robertson potted this pink ball and won the trophy. I was disappointed with the result (and sleepy: it lasted until 2 AM...on monday) but it was incredible.

EDIT: please move the thread to non-tennis. Somehow I put it in GM (well, I'm a GM bot after all).

Reactions: Haneul and IBM

·
justice for all
16,227 Posts
By the description it looks incredible drama and turn of events. I regret not watching it.
I like both players (after Ronnie of course who's my fave) so I'm OK with the final result.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yeah I watched this until something like when Trump took a 7:6 lead. At this point it looked like he had an edge, but I'm glad Robertson got the win in the end, he was overdue to win another triple crown event. Some great tactical play by both but because there was hardly a straightforward frame it was as tiring to watch as it seems to have been for them to play the match.

Still, that last day of the world championship semifinals probably beats this in terms of drama with both matches going the distance there, that insane last frame between Wilson and McGill as well as O'Sullivan's comeback after looking completely at the end of his wits.

·
Registered
26,125 Posts
The red at 9-8 48-0 was much tougher than the final pink he missed. The red shot to nothing at 0-48 was an unlikely one to get, but I fully expected him to pot the pressure brown. Sometimes it's easier with the back against the wall.

It was a sad outcome, thankfully I turned it off early in the decider. Robertson was annoyingly slow, 30.7 secs per shot is not normal for a top player and heavy scorer. This contributed to the late finish, as well as the decision to play 8 and not 9 frames in the first session.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We did indeed. I was only able to catch the last few frames of this one right in the middle of the night (the match lasted until 3 am over here), but just had to stay up to see the whole drama.

Totally worth it for me, even though I do get there are some who wanted to see more of a 'glorious' final with big breaks from these two, instead of both of the two cracking under pressure. Must have been a very exhausting and emotional match for both, as was evident especially once it was all over.

The Scottish Open is already underway (would've been pretty harsh with matches for Trump and/or Robertson on Monday morning), so here's hoping we'll get to see some more thrilling matches. Most likely not quite like this one, but thrillers none the less, as there're so many ways to create them in snooker.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Unfortunately missed most of it, which was annoying, as it was clearly such a compelling final and I like both guys. Good to see Robertson winning another triple crown event - had been far too long. Great player to watch when he's on form.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts