·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey:
:cool:
:angel:
#@@#
>>>I was playing clay court tennis in Japan today [actually the clay here is literally dirt] & lost in embarrassing fashion to a much shorter & older local dude who had mastered the art of the outside in forehand drive slice shot:eek: :cool:

...Got me thinking~~`%0o0%`
Is the sliced forehand drive still used by pros these days:confused:
Is it effective:confused:
Was Jimmy Connors the last of a dying breed to use this shot:confused:

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Re: <>Sliced Forehand Drive:~:is it still used? *effective?

Only one player comes to my mind: Fabrice Santoro.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts

Santoro comes to mind, but there are few users in this power era. A topspin or flat drive will be always prefered.

Reactions: Puschkin

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Santoro comes to mind, but there are few users in this power era.
A topspin or flat drive will be always prefered.
;)
thanks for your thoughts:cool:
do you think the modern rackets have effectively rendered the shot obsolete:sad: :confused:

·
Registered
2,490 Posts

;)
thanks for your thoughts:cool:
do you think the modern rackets have effectively rendered the shot obsolete:sad: :confused:
Absolutely, as well as surface...
But I agree in rec tennis you see a lot of guys, expecially old farts, doing a lot of slice FH... not easy to deal with, you have tendancy to overswing or lose focus.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
I seem to remember El Aynaoui approaching the net behind this shot. "Old School!" exclaimed the delirious commentators. :lol:

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Absolutely, as well as surface...
But I agree in rec tennis you see a lot of guys, expecially old farts, doing a lot of slice FH... not easy to deal with, you have tendancy to overswing or lose focus.

:wavey: cheers, that explains my problems:cool:
perhaps i should just take the ball out of the air next time & drive volley him/them off the court:devil:

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
It's not really an effective shot in modern tennis and hasn't been for quite some time. There seems very little reason to slice the FH as an offensive shot because it is slower and weaker than a FH that is thwacked.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
It's not really an effective shot in modern tennis and hasn't been for quite some time. There seems very little reason to slice the FH as an offensive shot because it is slower and weaker than a FH that is thwacked.
Yeah, pretty much agree with that, haven't seen a pro slice a forward drive for a long time. If I remember, did pozzi kinda slice his forehands somewhat with the eastern grip?

I use the shot occasionally myself, but only if my topspin drive is missing the mark regularly, so it's used more out of frustration and an attempt to throw my opponent off!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I am using this forhand slice when I am in a defensive position, and sometimes I even hit a clean crosscourt passing shot that way. Crazy and funny. It is useful to have it in your arsenal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Being an old fart myself, I use FH slide a bit especially when it's a topspin coming high and close to the baseline. I can either step back a few feet to a few yards to hit a FH, or I can just stand there and drive a slice from shoulder height towards the opponent's feet. I've found it quite effect most of the time. It may not be a great offensive weapon, but it tends to take away the offensive effectiveness from the opponent.

However, this is rec tennis that I'm talking about. For pros, I don't see why they won't step in and hit a full swing FH or even swing volley. Even in WTA you'll tend to see FH slices only when the players have lost their footings or out of positions.

Many old farts can do a decent job staying behind the baselines but not running from side to side. Use this to your advantage when you play them. Some wicked drop shots may also cause loud panting swears against you.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It's still effective, I think if nothing else than variety... players these days are used to continual pace right into their strike zone, whereas balls coming in lower and skidding can throw off their tempo, forcing them to hit awkwardly, garnering a short ball for the opposer or perhaps even an UE.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
El Aynaoui was less `old school` & more `original quirky school`:cool:

I think the forehand slice approach shot t I'm thinking of was to the Roddick backhand side, which was even weaker back in 2003. Roddick couldn't do much with it, and I think Younes won the point.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the forehand slice approach shot t I'm thinking of was to the Roddick backhand side, which was even weaker back in 2003. Roddick couldn't do much with it, and I think Younes won the point.
:cool:
Younes won the point but A.Rod won the war [20-18 in the 5th set]:eek: :devil:

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
The slice FH was efficiently used by one of my idols Pat Rafter in chip and charge situations. I try to do it someteimes to vary my returns. I'm sure you enjoy Pat's game C'monAussie !

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
I'm sure its effective if you use it once in a while as an element of surprise.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts