Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your expectations?

Can Nadal or Djokovic at least equal Murray's great record of 2 OGs? Can Murray win the 3rd?

Considering the nature of this event, the competition and the ongoing GOAT race, can Tokyo 2020 become the greatest tournament ever played?

Discuss.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Murray winning again would be the most interesting. Since we know an OG must be worth at least 5 grand slams (judging by player reactions at the event and the fact that it is only every 4 years), a 3rd OG for Murray would put him in the GOAT convo with the Big 3!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Murray winning again would be the most interesting. Since we know an OG must be worth at least 5 grand slams (judging by player reactions at the event and the fact that it is only every 4 years), a 3rd OG for Murray would put him in the GOAT convo with the Big 3!
Idk about OG = 5+ slams, but surely OG > slam, that's not even debatable.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Murray will not win 3 Olympic Golds and Djokovic will not win 2 Olympic Golds; let's shake off our day dreams and let's get real.

However, Rafa has a chance to win 2 Olympic Golds, either this year or 4 years later in the next Olympics. I'm sure Rafa will still be playing tennis at 38 in 4 years. However, Rafa'd better do it this year, while he is still younger.

P.S. MTF has voted in a poll that Olympics is the 5th most important event after the 4 grand slams. And I agree with that poll result.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yup, Slams > Olympics > WTF > more important 1000s like Rome or IW > less important 1000s like Paris or Monte Carlo > 500 > 250 > challengers > ITFs > my local league

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, Slams > Olympics > WTF > more important 1000s like Rome or IW > less important 1000s like Paris or Monte Carlo > 500 > 250 > challengers > ITFs > my local league
What about 5th slams Halle and Basel?

Reactions: Manu_ser

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They're covered under the description "500" surely? Except of course for Novak fans with a massive chip on their shoulder.
I thought 5th slams are maybe almost equal to slams despite unfairly being only the 500s on paper.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Halle-Basel Career GS (HBCGS) is second only to Golden Slam among great tennis feats.
It's almost an equivalent to Channel Slam. Rafa has 2CSs, but Federer has how many HBSs? No wonder many still consider Fed as a strong GOAT candidate.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
It's almost an equivalent to Channel Slam. Rafa has 2CSs, but Federer has how many HBSs? No wonder many still consider Fed as a strong GOAT candidate.
Roger has 10xHBCGS. Rafa would need at least 15xCS in order to start GOAT discussion. Possible but improbable, considering Fed should take at least 5xHBCGS more before retiring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Olympics are very important,but people should keep in mind that tennis wasn't an Olympic sport for many years.Some guys like Laver,Borg didn't even get to play tennis at the Olympics .

·
justice for all
15,139 Posts
Olympic Games is an important event but it’s not even close to Mickey Carlo, the real 5th slam that dull vultured 7 times.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Meh, dunno why OG would be compared to Slams. I think it's actually lower than WTF, but above indian wells.

Reactions: The Federest
1 - 20 of 47 Posts