Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 was in many ways a key year for the big 3. It started rather bad for Rafa with the AO final when it seemed he lost his chances to catch Federer, however, as time passed things were going better and better for him. Federer's resurgence ended in mid-2018 but then Djokovic returned that season.

As it looks now, Djokovic is entering into a visible decline, Federer is slowly ending his career and Rafa looks to be in the best position to grab the Slam record. If he can stay healthy for another year, he will have it all.

Grand slams won since 2017: Rafa 5, 3 RG's +2 USO's, Djokovic 4, 2 WB's + 1 AO + 1 USO. Federer 3, 2 AO's + 1 WB.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
The worrying thing is the Berdychs,Raonics,Ferrers,Nishikoris are being replaced by newer players most of whom matchup well against Djokovic and dont against Nadal.

Federers level fluctuate a lot these days and injuries like USO can occur anytime so unfortunately the best placed person right now is Nadal.

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
I agree! Too bad Rafa had to exit here with the same win/loss record the rest of them went through with. I think he could have won it.
That opportunity may not come again.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Usual lack of respect for the rest of the tour from a Nadaltard, the other 5 at the WTF's, FAA, Shapovalov and possibly Sinner with his rate of progress should all be more experienced, better prepared and improved from this year, outside of RG the slams should be more unpredictable than they ever have been in the big 3's entire careers.

In the other 3 Djokovic in my opinion is still the only one who can find a high enough level to blitz through a slam regardless of opponents, Nadal and Federer both need kind draws or for them to open up if it looks a tough one if they're going to lift another, that applies even for Federer at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
In the other 3 Djokovic in my opinion is still the only one who can find a high enough level to blitz through a slam regardless of opponents

Agreed, but the worrying part for him is that most of the young ones matchup very well with him.

·
King Of Tennis
4,249 Posts
The worrying thing is the Berdychs,Raonics,Ferrers,Nishikoris are being replaced by newer players most of whom matchup well against Djokovic and dont against Nadal.

Federers level fluctuate a lot these days and injuries like USO can occur anytime so unfortunately the best placed person right now is Nadal.
And which of these "newer" players have beaten King in best of five? Thiem at RG? OK, sure, that's going to be a tough opponent for him at one of the four slams, I'll give you that. Chung when he was injured? Lol, yeah, I'll be shaking in fear at that rematch. You're making out that Medvedev, Zverev, Tsitsipas etc. are beating him in the slams but they're not. Don't lie and say things that simply aren't true. Fact is their slam count is a big fat zero and their best chance is to wait for King to retire so they can mop up what's left. King's won four of the last six slams and will win four of the next six at the very least. If you want to be delusional and hope for anything else then go for it, it'll only hurt more in the end.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Usual lack of respect for the rest of the tour from a Nadaltard, the other 5 at the WTF's, FAA, Shapovalov and possibly Sinner with his rate of progress should all be more experienced, better prepared and improved from this year, outside of RG the slams should be more unpredictable than they ever have been in the big 3's entire careers.

In the other 3 Djokovic in my opinion is still the only one who can find a high enough level to blitz through a slam regardless of opponents, Nadal and Federer both need kind draws or for them to open up if it looks a tough one if they're going to lift another, that applies even for Federer at Wimbledon.
The only lack of respect being displayed here is you with your aggressive attitude.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
And which of these "newer" players have beaten King in best of five? Thiem at RG? OK, sure, that's going to be a tough opponent for him at one of the four slams, I'll give you that. Chung when he was injured? Lol, yeah, I'll be shaking in fear at that rematch. You're making out that Medvedev, Zverev, Tsitsipas etc. are beating him in the slams but they're not. Don't lie and say things that simply aren't true. Fact is their slam count is a big fat zero and their best chance is to wait for King to retire so they can mop up what's left. King's won four of the last six slams and will win four of the next six at the very least. If you want to be delusional and hope for anything else then go for it, it'll only hurt more in the end.
I'm not saying they'll always beat him at slams, but its quite obvious Djokovic matches up the worst against the younger players
And he hasn't really played most of them at slams yet because they bomb out early in slams

·
Registered
117 Posts
2017 was in many ways a key year for the big 3. It started rather bad for Rafa with the AO final when it seemed he lost his chances to catch Federer, however, as time passed things were going better and better for him. Federer's resurgence ended in mid-2018 but then Djokovic returned that season.

As it looks now, Djokovic is entering into a visible decline, Federer is slowly ending his career and Rafa looks to be in the best position to grab the Slam record. If he can stay healthy for another year, he will have it all.

Grand slams won since 2017: Rafa 5, 3 RG's +2 USO's, Djokovic 4, 2 WB's + 1 AO + 1 USO. Federer 3, 2 AO's + 1 WB.
Yep...Nadal's fighting spirit and ability to make drastic tactic changes mid match gives him a better chance to hang on before young guns completely take over the reigns...I predict 2 years tops for Nadal to grab another major off clay..

·
Registered
990 Posts
The only lack of respect being displayed here is you with your aggressive attitude.
That post is about as aggressive as Gilles Simon pal, you should get out more if you think that's being aggressive.

All you want to see in this thread is a bunch of idiots blindly agreeing with you going 'NADAL WILL HAVE THE SLAM RECORD IN 12 MONTHS TIME! VAMOS!' isn't it? You'd rather see that said 10 times with no reasons stated because it's what you want to read rather than anyone challenging it with a valid reason why it may not be the case.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That post is about as aggressive as Gilles Simon pal, you should get out more if you think that's being aggressive.

All you want to see in this thread is a bunch of idiots blindly agreeing with you going 'NADAL WILL HAVE THE SLAM RECORD IN 12 MONTHS TIME! VAMOS!' isn't it? You'd rather see that said 10 times with no reasons stated because it's what you want to read rather than anyone challenging it with a valid reason why it may not be the case.
It's incredibly amusing how you try to sound unbiased and reasonable but give it a rest, you're not going to fool anyone, you basically show up to hate on Rafa threads and you've been haunting me across the threads for some time now. As a matter of fact, I couldn't care less whether people here will agree with me about Rafa having the slam record. None of us here have any control of that so it doesn't matter much what anyone here says.
I'm not even on good terms with some Nadal fans who're as salty as you.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts

"Open up" is the operative term since 2017 when the injury bug took out Murrinka after FO17 & since then not returned to form while Novak retired w/ elbow injury in WB17 but wins it in the next year.

·
|
16,474 Posts
Yep...Nadal's fighting spirit and ability to make drastic tactic changes mid match gives him a better chance to hang on before young guns completely take over the reigns...I predict 2 years tops for Nadal to grab another major off clay..
Wow, that is very brave - putting a limit of only 2 years on Rafa - considering Rafa is on the rise on hardcourts, not on the decline.
There is a very real chance that Rafa will be better on hardcourts in 2022 than he is now.
He's not relying on retrieving skills nearly as much, so its like he's in a new career now, and really the beginning of the new career :)
Plus he appears very capable of winning Wimbledon again, 2 straight SFs.
Let's face it, Rafa may have 5 more years of slams, or even 10 more years.
There is simply nothing to indicate a demise.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Sharp declines can and do happen in every sport, let alone tennis. So I'd rather not make any predictions or counting slams before Rafa wins them. All I know is, even if he just wins RG again next year I'll be really happy. If he gets 2 slams I'll be over the moon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts