Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Very weird indeed, Nadal is much more aggressive than Zverev and Medvedev. But I think I've heard the ATP commentators mention that "Aggression" also includes the number of aces (IMO that's stupid).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nadal is a worse defender than Zverev, Medvedev and Tsitsipas

Djokovic scored 93 on Defence, even Federer scored better than Nadal 89 to 80

·
justice for all
14,556 Posts
Those ATP charts are really dumb - probably some meaningless stats subjectively grouped and taken out of context.

·
Your visions will happen
48,181 Posts
Always funny watching stat geeks actually try to create a number for skill sets like its a fucking video game. Clowns who never played

·
Registered
15,403 Posts
The Aggression stats are so bad lol..

·
|
14,760 Posts
I have noticed Rafa hasn't been dominating the 9+ rallies this year, and great defenders usually dominate those long rallies.
And I guess the more Rafa comes to the net the less defensive he is so the lower his defensive rating will be.
Defense isn't just about getting balls back, its about refusing to come forward.
Rafa comes forward plenty now.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Murray has the best defence and backhand and lob and volleys and return of serve and slice.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Here's an explanation of how they do it:

Defense is based on the following:
Defence
• Forced errors per match
• % shots hit on the run
• Average shot depth on the run
• % returns made
• % returns hit with slice

·
|
14,760 Posts
"% shots hit on the run" would not favor Rafa, because when he's running hard at the ball he actually stops just before he hits the ball, so he's not "on the run" when he makes contact (except for the extremely wide balls like the 'around the net post' shot).

"Average shot depth on the run" won't favor Rafa, because Rafa uses the crosscourt forehand to push the opponent out-wide and its often a short ball to corner of the service box.

And "% returns hit with slice" also won't favor Rafa, because most of his slice is used during the rallies, not on the actual return shot.

All 3 of these things happened in 2005-2010 too, so even during his athletic peak he'd not be considered a great defender, based on this system of grading.

·
Your visions will happen
48,181 Posts
Nonsense. I still prefer the eye test. Who do you trust? The computers made by imperfect humans, or your lying eyes?

Anything with Zverev above Nadal in defense and Djokovic ahead of Thiem in aggressiveness is a joke

·
Registered
318 Posts
Can we have this thread deleted please. It’s a well known fact that NaDull is a boring talentless baseline grinder, and these figures are heresy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts