Sinner fans, rejoice.

The time seems to have come.

R1 on Tuesday against Karen Khachanov

R2 will be against either Querrey or the returned Kuznetsov

0 down, 7 to go

·
justice for all
15,280 Posts
Your bandwagon may get derailed too soon, mate. Very tough opening round for the young Italian.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Sinner is by far my favorite player born in the 2000's, however he will need a miracle to beat Khachanov based on their matches in "Cincinnati".

·
Registered
7,681 Posts

·
Registered
16,915 Posts

·
Registered
16,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
29,239 Posts
Would be cool if Jannik could make a run here.

Reactions: Budadiii

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sinner is by far my favorite player born in the 2000's, however he will need a miracle to beat Khachanov based on their matches in "Cincinnati".
A Miracle is a very exaggerated word. Yes, Karen looked pretty good in Cincinnati (Flushing Meadow) and Jannick lost in the first round of the qualies against Caruso but Jannick easily beat Karen in the hangar in Berlin on a fast court as well. In the end, it is a brutal draw for both players. Karen is slightly favourite but I hope that Jannick will win it of course.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Stop the madness. Stop. It.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Have always seen Jannik as a future champion. Not exactly the time to make it that far yet though, he's only 19, but he did make quite an impressive debut at USO last year while pretty seriously challenging Stan (and while saying this I don't mean Stan was back at his best form by then, may unfortunately never be). Not that he had much to lose last year yet though, which made it easy for him to play without pressure.

It's actually hard to remember that he is only 19 still, as he's been around for a while already and is mature for his age mentally, even though you can tell that he is young by his looks quite easily.

I wonder if his former skiing career (alpine skiing that is, if I'm not totally mistaken) has helped him a lot in gaining the good balance he has in his movement at court. For someone of his age, having gained a lot of height in recent years and not that much muscle yet, that sort of balance and movement cannot be taken as granted.

I can see him beating Karen in Nyc, but it definitely won't be that an easy task. Especially where he's coming from in Cincy qualies, where he lost to Caruso and didn't make it to MD. That loss can still affect him, but it's time for him to show every bit of the mental strength he possesses now.

The other youngster I'll be rooting for is Emil Ruusuvuori. Not an easy draw for him either.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
A Miracle is a very exaggerated word. Yes, Karen looked pretty good in Cincinnati (Flushing Meadow) and Jannick lost in the first round of the qualies against Caruso but Jannick easily beat Karen in the hangar in Berlin on a fast court as well. In the end, it is a brutal draw for both players. Karen is slightly favourite but I hope that Jannick will win it of course.
If sinner wins, I will consider it an upset, karen is clearly the favorite. Sinner definitely can win, but going into the open he is the underdog in this first round match. I will just try to enjoy the match, I love both players, and would be happy for either. Hope it will be a cracker of a match.

Reactions: devision2002

·
Registered
16,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have always seen Jannik as a future champion. Not exactly the time to make it that far yet though, he's only 19, but he did make quite an impressive debut at USO last year while pretty seriously challenging Stan (and while saying this I don't mean Stan was back at his best form by then, may unfortunately never be). Not that he had much to lose last year yet though, which made it easy for him to play without pressure.

It's actually hard to remember that he is only 19 still, as he's been around for a while already and is mature for his age mentally, even though you can tell that he is young by his looks quite easily.

I wonder if his former skiing career (alpine skiing that is, if I'm not totally mistaken) has helped him a lot in gaining the good balance he has in his movement at court. For someone of his age, having gained a lot of height in recent years and not that much muscle yet, that sort of balance and movement cannot be taken as granted.

I can see him beating Karen in Nyc, but it definitely won't be that an easy task. Especially where he's coming from in Cincy qualies, where he lost to Caruso and didn't make it to MD. That loss can still affect him, but it's time for him to show every bit of the mental strength he possesses now.

The other youngster I'll be rooting for is Emil Ruusuvuori. Not an easy draw for him either.
Stan was very much at his best form by then. He was great at the AO, and killed it at the FO.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Stan was very much at his best form by then. He was great at the AO, and killed it at the FO.
If you say so, and I'll gladly agree from Jannik's point of view (I just wasn't very impressed with Stan's game against half-dead Medvedev as he went on, but the fact that Meddy ended up in the final after getting some rest between the matches was great though).

So even more impressive from our young Jannik.

·
Registered
16,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you say so, and I'll gladly agree from Jannik's point of view (I just wasn't very impressed with Stan's game against half-dead Medvedev as he went on, but the fact that Meddy ended up in the final after getting some rest between the matches was great though).

So even more impressive from our young Jannik.
We know Stan flames out at the end of slams now, we saw it at the AO against Zverev in the QF as well.

That does not demean his level in the rounds before that, imo.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I must add that if Stan indeed was at his best form last autumn, what heights had Andy managed to reach by then while beating him in the final in Antwerp.

Yet, it's entirely possible that the courts in Antwerp played pretty fast and were not the most ideal for Stan, but in addition to being even more impressive from Jannik at last year's USO, that was one h*ll of a comeback from Andy (which unfortunately took a turn for the worse soon after that).

And by saying this I'm not trying to argue against you @Budadiii, pls don't get me wrong, I'm just delighted to have a reason to be even more impressed by two of my faves. Always a good feeling that.

·
Registered
16,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I must add that if Stan indeed was at his best form last autumn, what heights had Andy managed to reach by then while beating him in the final in Antwerp.

Yet, it's entirely possible that the courts in Antwerp played pretty fast and were not the most ideal for Stan, but in addition to being even more impressive from Jannik at last year's USO, that was one h*ll of a comeback from Andy (which unfortunately took a turn for the worse soon after that).

And by saying this I'm not trying to argue against you @Budadiii, pls don't get me wrong, I'm just delighted to have a reason to be even more impressed by two of my faves.
I mean, Andy was really good last autumn... but none the less, Stan pretty much trashed Andy like he did Sinner, until he imploded more and more mentally, the further Andy got his grip into that match... that win for Andy was more so about Stan losing his head.

Like others have said, if Sinner beats KK, I see a R4 exit here. Which will be a great result. He should be the favorite against Querrey and De Minaur. It's that first hurdle.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts