Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doubles is a lot less easier physically but still demands a lot of focus possibly more than singles because it isn't just your own mind your working with but learning your partner's and it's a lot more difficult if you have more then one.

Jonas Bjorkman is one that springs to mind, he may of played the odd singles draw but in terms of full time circuit he was playing a fair lot more Doubles with Todd Woodbridge in his later career.

I know Dick Norman the Belgian played into his 40's in the two man game and I didn't remember too many events he played in singles even with a ranking drop and not talking the majors either.

Players who were once good and very active in the individual game not just the very part-timers like Rajeev Ram, Nenad Zemonjic who have been that for nearly most of their careers.

Any other obvious candidates?

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Sock.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Marc Lòpez

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
henri kontinen

·
Registered
437 Posts
There are so many, but the obvious is Florin Mergea - the most talented double player out there. I think he won Wimbledon in Juniors, he was retired for some time due to injuries and came back a couple years ago. I'm gonna give him a call to play with Gulbis and win Wimbledon next year. So start to put your bets on these two.

·
Registered
97,199 Posts
basically all doubles players were singles players once :lol:

question is who was a good singles player who turned his career into doubles and was still good (while most reponses in this thread include some irrelevant challenger players with poor singles rankings or failed juniors)

Bjorkman and Mirnyi are the best examples. Also Nestor was No58 in singles. Paes and Dlouhy were No73.

In the future, probably Stepanek, Granollers, Petzschner, Melzer maybe Nando.

Zimonjic wasnt even top 150.

Bob Bryan was No116.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts