Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,932 Posts
Fed will probably have to turn up to AMS Madrid and Paris to beat that record.
Although I'm not exactly sure how prize money is awarded for the TMC.

I think that shows that prize money hasn't risen that dramatically since 97. Fed has had at least as good a year as Pete did in 97.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Jimnik said:
Fed will probably have to turn up to AMS Madrid and Paris to beat that record.
Although I'm not exactly sure how prize money is awarded for the TMC.
I remember the unbeaten winner can get up to 1.5 millions.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
95,412 Posts
Sampy won over $3.7 m in the last 3 events that year (winning GS Cup, Paris and Masters cup)
he also got over $800,000 from the bonus pool at the end of the year (another thing ended by the ATP)
so it will be impressive if fed beats that record..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
95,412 Posts
Feds was actually 100,000 short of it last year ($6.357) and missed Madrid, Paris..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
For this comparison to make any kind of sense you'd have to convert 1997 dollars to 2005 dollars.

*Edit* Okay the closest I could get was 2004 dollars. Pete $6,498,311 in 1997 is equivalent to $7,648,120 last year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
dkw said:
For this comparison to make any kind of sense you'd have to convert 1997 dollars to 2005 dollars.

*Edit* Okay the closest I could get was 2004 dollars. Pete $6,498,311 in 1997 is equivalent to $7,648,120 last year.
If Sampras was born 20 years earlier, he could have won 40 slams in 1969.
:wavey:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
dkw said:
For this comparison to make any kind of sense you'd have to convert 1997 dollars to 2005 dollars.

*Edit* Okay the closest I could get was 2004 dollars. Pete $6,498,311 in 1997 is equivalent to $7,648,120 last year.

:haha: I wish they used this kind of math at my workplace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Skyward said:
:haha: I wish they used this kind of math at my workplace.
Please if you're an economist help me out!! Though now that I think about it, using a quickie CPI conversion isn't the most accurate. Listing all the tournaments Pete played in 1997 then finding their equivalent in 2005 and tallying his expectant prize money would be the most accurate. But then you run into the problem of finding substitutes for disbanded tournaments... ah too much work.
 
G

·
dkw said:
Please if you're an economist help me out!! Though now that I think about it, using a quickie CPI conversion isn't the most accurate. Listing all the tournaments Pete played in 1997 then finding their equivalent in 2005 and tallying his expectant prize money would be the most accurate. But then you run into the problem of finding substitutes for disbanded tournaments... ah too much work.
:haha:

I got a CPI table on my desk, let me know if you need me to quote the rates from the past 8 years
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,172 Posts
KarolBeckFan said:
I find it hard to believe that the value of money dropped so much that quickly.

Inconsistencies with the macro and micro-economic tendencies its what it is all due to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,225 Posts
Is Federer close to breaking the record for most points won in a single season? Seems like he should be up there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,786 Posts
Prize money totals are basically meaningless - inflation, exchange rates (as the tournament prize totals are listed sometimes in dollars, euros, pounds, etc.) and of course the fact that many players derive just as much if not more of their income from endorsement deals.

Which is why I remember it being so funny when the Y-man mentioned how he took such pride in leading the money list for the year in one of his interviews.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top