Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the first semifinal match at the Tennis Masters Cup tonight, Roger Federer force-fed Gaston Gaudio a double bagel worthy of Princess Leia's hairdo. Poor Gaudio; after outlasting Fernando Gonzalez last night, he couldn't do much against a fully-awake and aggressive Federer. The Swiss is through to the final for the third time in three years. Should he win that, he will take home $1.52 million in prize money as undefeated winner.

Here's an interesting piece of trivia about this year's Masters Cup. (I originally posted this on Tennis Warehouse.) The players who actually played through their round-robin matches were Roger Federer, Guillermo Coria, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian, Ivan Ljubicic, Gaston Gaudio, Mariano Puerta, and Fernando Gonzalez. Out of these eight players, only three use a double-handed backhand (Coria, Davydenko, and Nalbandian). The five other players use a single-handed backhand.

If the four players who withdrew hadn't done so, however, the field would look like this: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt, Nikolay Davydenko, Andre Agassi, Guillermo Coria, and Marat Safin. Out of those eight, only Federer uses a single-handed backhand.

Now, in the other semifinal of Davydenko versus Nalbandian, both players use a double-handed backhand. Either of them could meet Federer in the final. Should Federer defend his title for the second time, it would lend a different meaning to the phrase "single-handedly beating the opposition," wouldn't it?

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
:lol: I like that!

What i love about tennis is that it's unpredictable. I never in a million years would've predicted Roger in the final :eek: :p

YAY. TMC.

:ras:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts