Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked the win-loss record for the top 6 players since the US Open (and I included Davis Cup but not walkovers).

Although Roger did not win the Aussie Open which was the big prize obviously he has won 5 title including the tour championships where he was undefeated.

Here are the records of the top 6 player since the US Open.

1) Novak Djokovic 16-5 (.762)

2) Rafael Nadal 19-6 (.760)

3) Roger Federer 35-2 (.946)

4) Andy Murray (.886)

5) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 32-9 (.780)

6) David Ferrer 34-7 (.829)

I expect this to get much closer now that we are off to the blue clay of Indian Wells and Miami but, nevertheless, it is a great stretch of play for Federer, Murray and Ferrer too. Ironically it is Djokovic and Nadal who have the lowest percentages (probably due to burnout/fatigue and having to play on faster surfaces that don't suit their games much)

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Of course, Nadal/Djokovic went awry for whatever reason while obviously best surface for Federer at the moment. Really, all the pressure on Nadal and Djokovic to defend their points while Federer essentially has plenty of room to pick up points, so that is the real question. Sure, he may not have any dominating runs especially if he runs into Djokovic/Nadal too often, but he'll be there if they have any slips until next indoor season.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Since the US Open, Fed has only played indoor, with exception of a couple of tournament this year. The only outdoor tournament he has won is this one, Dubai, one of the fastest outdoor tourney's. Pickings are about to get very slim.

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts
Roger is still the third best player in the world at the age of 30, with the top two being several years younger than him so I think he can be satisfied at his ranking and results.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the US Open, Fed has only played indoor, with exception of a couple of tournament this year. The only outdoor tournament he has won is this one, Dubai, one of the fastest outdoor tourney's. Pickings are about to get very slim.
Yes I do believe that I addressed that when I said that I expect things to even out as we move to the blue clay of Indian Wells and Miami. Thanks for rewording that ;):wavey::p

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Don't think he will win IW and Miami though.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Some consolation, that's it.

This means jack shit, we all know which two guys made the AO Final. Nadal and Djokovic are just freewheeling at the other events, Fed/Murray fans will get their hopes up, and then we have another Rafole slam final.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Olderer :inlove:
Good shit :yeah:

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
desperate fedfans are desperate :zzz:
Yeh, Fedfans are demonstrably more desperate hoping for GS No. 17, than a certain DelPotro fan (who shall remain nameless), desperately hoping for GS No. 2 :p

Reactions: Eden

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
"consolation"? :lol:
At past-30, he's #3 of the world, and still manages to pick up a title here and there, let alone the still many SFs and QFs he manages to reach. He's just made the best possible out of the indoor HC-season, of course I don't think he'll sustain that in the upcoming slow HC- and clay season, but in all, he's still doing pretty fine.

I don't need any 'consolation' about that and I highly doubt he does himself. Just remind me where Sampras was at his current age...? ;)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Roger´s numbers are great, but everyone who see reality knows that his numbers are good, because of part of season he played, post USO- means indoor season- he is probably best player indoors over last 2-3 years. Nole and Rafa were burned out, his only competition was Tsonga, even he pushed him to the limits. And this year he played Doha, AO, Dubai-outdoors and Rotterdam - indoor - whe he didn´t have any competition, Delpo indoors isn´t best guy and Roger is tough match-up for him

About Doha- he witdhraw before he played any top guy, Dubai- was very fast HC, he played only Delpo and Murray from top guys, against Delpo he knows how to play and Murray was bellow average in their match

Only slow outdoor HC event was AO-which is slam, best of 5 and Roger knows how to play those matches, it is easier to upset favorits at best of 3, so we can talk about Roger´s numbers after IW-Miami is over, i really want to see how he will do there, if he will be able to at least make F at iether IW or Miami.

I think during outdoor HC-clay his numbers will be much much worse of course than during indoor-fast HC part of season. Don´t forget he lost to Isner indoor-clay match best of 5...

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
There's not much room for improvement for Roger in IW/Miami double, I doubt Fed is going to make a final in either of them, like people say the court is ridicilously slow and takes the whole advantage of agressive baseline game away from him.
Let's be honest, Primerer got straight-setted by 17 years old Nadal and pretty much fluked the title next year- Rafa had 5-2 or something lead in the third set tie-break. Unfortunately, Djokovic and Nadal win 9 of 10 matches against Roger on this ass-slow surface.
However, Federer still remains a superior fast-claycourter than Djokovic and is capable of beating Nadal in Madrid on a given day.
I'd rather depend Fed's chances on Nadal's slump than his own form.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
By the way, I think Federer is 33-2, not 35-2

·
Registered
834 Posts
Unfortunately, Djokovic and Nadal win 9 of 10 matches against Roger on this ass-slow surface.
However, Federer still remains a superior fast-claycourter than Djokovic and is capable of beating Nadal in Madrid on a given day.
I'd rather depend Fed's chances on Nadal's slump than his own form.
Totally agree.

The RG win last year in SF tells the story. Federer-Djokovic.

RG with the fast and light Babolat balls plus the surface that has been playing like a HC since 2009 suits Federer's game a lot.

I like Federer's chances in Madrid and RG this year.

He's looking so much better than last year.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Some consolation, that's it.

This means jack shit, we all know which two guys made the AO Final. Nadal and Djokovic are just freewheeling at the other events, Fed/Murray fans will get their hopes up, and then we have another Rafole slam final.
A simplistic post from a moonballer tard. It will be more than a consolation if he can grab the #2 ranking
Before RG.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
"consolation"? :lol:
At past-30, he's #3 of the world, and still manages to pick up a title here and there, let alone the still many SFs and QFs he manages to reach. He's just made the best possible out of the indoor HC-season, of course I don't think he'll sustain that in the upcoming slow HC- and clay season, but in all, he's still doing pretty fine.

I don't need any 'consolation' about that and I highly doubt he does himself. Just remind me where Sampras was at his current age...? ;)
Well until Roger wins a GS in his 30s Pete still has that on him

1 - 20 of 22 Posts