Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only seven times since first becoming number one in 2004, has Federer been defeated in a slam before the quarterfinals.

Which one of these matches was his worst defeat?

·
Premium Member
7,163 Posts
Obviously the loss to Stakhovsky. Embarrassed himself at Wimbledon, tried to hit opponent in the head. That was hilarious.
Tanking to Boredo at USO to avoid getting destroyed by RAFA was also pretty hilarious.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The Stakhovsky one breaks my heart, because 2013 broke his run of consecutive Wimbledon QFs. If he'd made the quarters that year, he'd currently be on 17 consecutive Wimbledon QFs.

Then again, so much of 2013 breaks my heart.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Kuerten was unnecessary, since he dominated him in their previous match, and since nadal wasn’t around it could’ve been a good chance to grab the title first in retrospect. But I don’t think it was his worst...

I also don’t really count the 2013 stuff. He was in bad form And wouldn’t have won anyway.
RG 2014 yeah bad loss but like in 2013 not at an event he had a realistic chance.
I think I’m most upset with seppi in 2015. he showed really great form throughout the entire season basically only losing to djokovic. But he had this awful day and leaked error after error.
tsitsipas was bad too mainly because he missed all 12 break points 4 of them being set points for a 2:0 lead. I think in the end I have to go with this one. It was a terrible match. He showed no mental strength whatsoever and let a great chance pass of beating djokovic

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Obviously the loss to Stakhovsky. Embarrassed himself at Wimbledon, tried to hit opponent in the head. That was hilarious.
Tanking to Boredo at USO to avoid getting destroyed by RAFA was also pretty hilarious.
Federer was on the run, in big trouble and lucky to get his racket on the ball. He didn’t even look where he was hitting it.
rafa on the other hand hit djokovic on purpose in Montreal 2013...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
None of those things are even a tenth as funny as the story of Rafael Nadal and Dustin Brown.

·
Premium Member
7,163 Posts
None of those things are even a tenth as funny as the story of Rafael Nadal and Dustin Brown.
Lol, sorry, but that doesn't compare. Rogie losing at WIMBLEDON to Stakhovsky, the equivalent would be RAFA losing at RG to Munoz de la Nava or Berlocq.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Lol, sorry, but that doesn't compare. Rogie losing at WIMBLEDON to Stakhovsky, the equivalent would be RAFA losing at RG to Munoz de la Nava or Berlocq.
nadal pissed his pants facing granollers and chickened out with some minor hand injury. Federer played through entirety of 2013 with severe back pain.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Not really. Upsets are much more common on grass.

The defensive nature of clay-court tennis makes it much more predictable.

That makes Fed's consistency at Wimbledon all the more astonishing, when the risks are so high.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts

That makes Fed's consistency at Wimbledon all the more astonishing, when the risks are so high.
What consistency? That useless mug lost from 2:0 sets up against both tsonga and Anderson. That’s even more embarrassing than the stakhovsky match. He’s nowhere near as consistent as nadal at the French.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
What consistency? That useless mug lost from 2:0 sets up against both tsonga and Anderson. That’s even more embarrassing than the stakhovsky match. He’s nowhere near as consistent as nadal at the French.
I love the hysteria in this place.

A guy makes the QF 16 out of 17 times, the SF 13 out of 17 times, and the final 12 out of 17 times (over the same period) and does not miss a single event or withdraw once or retire once ...

And still you get people saying "What consistency?" and calling him a "useless mug"!

Sure, Rafa's Roland-Garros record is even more consistent, but clay is also a more predictable surface, less likely to permit upsets.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
for me, Seppi AO 2015 or Millman USO 2018
because his level otherwise was good and he could have made a deep run

·
Registered
174 Posts
His loss to Tsitsipath was so bad. I have never seen him so bad. He suddenly started playing poorly after he was almost 2-0 up. That match gave Tsitsupath unnecessary confidence and turned out a turning point for the Greek boy. Without Federer's careless display there, the whole seaons would of turned out differently. Without a doubt, the Greek man and That tall Russian dude wouldn't have had such a good year. It's all Roger's fault with a couple of careless losses here and there, especially at crucial times.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Losing to that washed-up fossil Fakovic at Wimb last year was probably the worst, but at least he dished out another flogging to his pigeon in the semis, that grass mug Nodal.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The Stakhovsky one breaks my heart, because 2013 broke his run of consecutive Wimbledon QFs. If he'd made the quarters that year, he'd currently be on 17 consecutive Wimbledon QFs.
To be fair, Federer should have lost to Falla, Wimbledon 2010.

Wimbledon 2013 was quite the upset though and i am now certain that if Federer hadn't aimed blatantly at the head then Stakhovsky wouldn't have said that he beat Federer and his ego.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I prefer me some vintage RosLOL.

·
The special one
14,368 Posts

Not only that the Clay swing is much longer with 3 Masters so you have more time before RG to get matches on the surface, whereas at Wimbledon there's not much opportunity. For most of Federers career he had 2 week gap between RG and Wimbledon and had to play Halle the week after RG. I'm sure if there was a longer Grass swing with a masters thrown in Federer would've avoided some of those Wimbledon losses.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Not only that the Clay swing is much longer with 3 Masters so you have more time before RG to get matches on the surface, whereas at Wimbledon there's not much opportunity. For most of Federers career he had 2 week gap between RG and Wimbledon and had to play Halle the week after RG. I'm sure if there was a longer Grass swing with a masters thrown in Federer would've avoided some of those Wimbledon losses.
Or conversely, other players could have "adopted" the surface more easily due to more match time on it, making upsets more likely.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Avoided 'some' of those losses?

Other than Stakhovsky, he's lost only to Ancic in 2002, #5 Kafelnikov and Jiri Novak way back in 1999.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts