Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking at the matches database at atptennis.com I found a strange similarity with these two players. In 2003 Federer won a very tight match against Agassi at TMC Houston's first round robin match with a third set tie-break. According to me after this match he started to dominate the tennis world up until this time. Now a very strange result similar to this could have happened. At about 3,5 weeks ago Nalbandian won a very tight match against Berdych at TMS Madrid in the second round with a third set tie-break. After this match he became totally a different player. He won back-to-back titles at TMS Madrid and TMS Paris with only losing two sets. Also these were the first TMS titles for him. He has dominated every single match up until then. What do you think? Was it a turning point in Nalbandian's career? Will he dominate the tennis world like Federer?

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Nalbandian is going to win 15 Slams.

·
Banned
31,496 Posts
While looking at the matches database at atptennis.com I found a strange similarity with these two players. In 2003 Federer won a very tight match against Agassi at TMC Houston's first round robin match with a third set tie-break. According to me after this match he started to dominate the tennis world up until this time. Now a very strange result similar to this could have happened. At about 3,5 weeks ago Nalbandian won a very tight match against Berdych at TMS Madrid in the second round with a third set tie-break. After this match he became totally a different player. He won back-to-back titles at TMS Madrid and TMS Paris with only losing two sets. Also these were the first TMS titles for him. He has dominated every single match up until then. What do you think? Was it a turning point in Nalbandian's career? Will he dominate the tennis world like Federer?
Nice joke, Mehmet.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,408 Posts
you are a couple of weeks late, the Nalbandian bandwagon passed and took all the passengers already

·
Banned
235 Posts
Roger's turning point was his loss against Lleyton back in 2003 DC, leading 2-0 and a break in the 3 to lose it in 5. Let's face it, David will never dominate the tour Federer did, just won't happen. He'll have another 3-5 brilliant years inside the top 5 or whatever and then slowly fade away.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
I dont think he will but he can really stir things around a bit or even a bit more. Except for a huge 1st serve improvement he is still the same player he was: enormous talent who can beat everyone on any surface when he is confident and losing to anyone when he is not. We all saw that in a 2nd set tie-break with Pics in Paris. Whenever he cant find an answer to bosing players around his dropshotitis illness will apear back and he will try to drop-shot every 2nd point. If that wont work he easily might go walkabout. But I really hope he can keep his confidence up and in that case we would surely evident the dominance from him like it was in this 2 last AMS. :worship:

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
To be on a hot winning streak doesn't mean that it's the turning point of the career. David hadn't played as many matches this season like some of his opponents. His work with Jaite seems to pay out now, but it still has to be seen whether he is able to carry his form into next year. I hope he can do it as it is a joy to watch his game when he is on and it will surely make the tournaments more interesting.
I don't know if you seriously expect David to dominate the tennisscene as Federer did in the last years. I mean, last year some people declared Nadal as the real no. 1, but Rafa had at least won RG and was in the final of Wimbledon that season. As impressive as Nalbandians performances were in the last weeks, especially with beating Federer and Nadal back to back in Madrid and Paris, the GS tournaments are the ones which count and it is up to Nalbandian to prove there next season that he doesn't just have the game and talent to beat the best players, but also the consistency to go deep in the tournaments.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
To be on a hot winning streak doesn't mean that it's the turning point of the career. David hadn't played as many matches this season like some of his opponents. His work with Jaite seems to pay out now, but it still has to be seen whether he is able to carry his form into next year. I hope he can do it as it is a joy to watch his game when he is on and it will surely make the tournaments more interesting.
I don't know if you seriously expect David to dominate the tennisscene as Federer did in the last years. I mean, last year some people declared Nadal as the real no. 1, but Rafa had at least won RG and was in the final of Wimbledon that season. As impressive as Nalbandians performances were in the last weeks, especially with beating Federer and Nadal back to back in Madrid and Paris, the GS tournaments are the ones which count and it is up to Nalbandian to prove there next season that he doesn't just have the game and talent to beat the best players, but also the consistency to go deep in the tournaments.
Well, he is the only active player besides Federer who played at least a SF in all 4 slams. That is deep, isn't it ? But surelly is not what really counts: slam titles. He has the potential to dominate the tour, but not on consistent level and thru a long period of time.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
Well, he is the only active player besides Federer who played at least a SF in all 4 slams. That is deep, isn't it ? But surelly is not what really counts: slam titles. He has the potential to dominate the tour, but not on consistent level and thru a long period of time.
I was refering to the consistency of going deep in tournaments ;)

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
No Silly, you have to factor in that Nalby's a bit older. He may only win 9 or 10.
:haha: :haha: :haha:

I'll be happy if he wins one. Then I'll might go greedy for more :angel:

·
Registered
857 Posts
I really love David's game, and his matches seem to be the most entraining ones lately, but as much as I love his game I know that he isn't even close to be the type of player Roger is... his age isn't really a problem cause it is known that the best moment for most athletes comes when they are 25-30 years old, but Roger's mentallity is one step above Nalbandian's, and Basel's first round loss shows it... Roger wouldn't lose such a match.

·
Registered
810 Posts
...Roger's mentallity is one step above Nalbandian's, and Basel's first round loss shows it... Roger wouldn't lose such a match.
See post-aussie hardcourt swing and losses to Canas...

Nalbandian did something this year that I don't ever remember happening: As a middle-aged player that has shown flashes of brilliance, but never won a slam, he came out of nowhere and beat the (most dominate ever) #'s 1 and 2 in consecutive MS events...as well as all other comers. It is one of the most interesting things I've ever seen in tennis. Safin's victory at the AO in '05 was very impressive, as was Agassi's 27-1 slam performance from FO 99 - AO 2000, but both of those players had won slams and been #1 before they fell off and came back. I really can't recall a player of relative obscurity putting two tournaments like this together so unexpectedly.

I know it's not news that Bandy can be magnificent at times, and I've often wondered why he hasn't had more success; but no one could've predicted what he did--it's really unprecedented. This result really makes next season, at least the AO, mouth-watering. Of course, these aren't slams and if he loses 3rd round at the Aussie to Oscar Hernandez, the last couple months of this season will just be a fond memory and anomaly, but somehow I don't think that's going to happen--and I really hope it doesn't.

I hope that match was a turning point for him.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts