Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Popko now on a 20-match winning streak. He has won 7 Futures events already this year.

Very impressive. He faces Andrej Martin, one of the most inconsistent players on Tour, in the final.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
His ITF ranking should warrant him a lot more Challenger MDs for the upcoming times, let's see if he keeps that form up and settles in ATP territory.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Watched the match vs Nedovyesov and Popko didn't really show anything special. It was Nedovyesov who just stepped off the gas and at some point decided to retire. Andrej Martin proved my point the next day - Popko isn't playing some incredible tennis and that 20-win streak wasn't that big of a deal. Btw Andrej Martin is for real on clay, his level is really high right now.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Watched the match vs Nedovyesov and Popko didn't really show anything special. It was Nedovyesov who just stepped off the gas and at some point decided to retire. Andrej Martin proved my point the next day - Popko isn't playing some incredible tennis and that 20-win streak wasn't that big of a deal. Btw Andrej Martin is for real on clay, his level is really high right now.
Popko isn't anything special on clay, but he's pretty good on faster surfaces. And to win that many matches in a row is impressive. He beat some really solid competitors.

Martin can be really good, but the next day he can be absolutely woeful. I am not sure there are more inconsistent players out there. His inconsistency is what prevents him from making it to the next level and what forces him to play in places like Shymkent.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Popko isn't anything special on clay, but he's pretty good on faster surfaces. And to win that many matches in a row is impressive. He beat some really solid competitors.

Martin can be really good, but the next day he can be absolutely woeful. I am not sure there are more inconsistent players out there. His inconsistency is what prevents him from making it to the next level and what forces him to play in places like Shymkent.
Well, 20 is wins in a row is 20 wins in a row, no doubt. But what I've seen from him this week wasn't that good tbh. He just played solid and that's it. Probably it's the surface too, If I'm not mistaken Safranek beat him in Turkey in the end of March on clay. Taking nothing from the kid, just don't see him beating anyone better than the Kozlov's and Ruusuvuori's of the world right now. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

As far as Martin, I would have agreed with you last year, but this year I see more consistency from him. Watched him play plenty of times and his level doesn't really change from match to match anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts