Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should Wimbledon Become A (Green) Clay Court event?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These two weeks at Wimbledon we saw a number of players slip on court just behind the baseline, both in the first week when the grass was lush, and in the second week, when the grass had worn and players were unable to trust the surface in terms of their footing.

(1) The quality of play is reduced when players aren't confident in their footing
(2) We risk losing players to injury
(3) Grass courts are very hard to maintain
(4) The condition of grass courts changes too much during the course of the tournament
(5) The grass becomes even more slippery under the roof, even with the air conditioning system
(6) We have to stop play on grass even with slight drizzle, but on clay we can play through a steady drizzle for a while.
(7) The current surface isn't giving a fair enough chance to some of the game's greatest and most loved players, such as Nadal.

I know Wimbledon has it's tradition, and people like faster surfaces. So here's the solution: use GREEN CLAY (similar to Houston). This will provide both the green look, and is a faster surface than standard clay. It also would provide a nice symmetry to the calendar (1 fast HC Slam, 1 slow HC slam, 1 fast clay slam, 1 slow clay slam). And of course keep the white clothes, strawberries, Royal Box, and all the other Wimbledon traditions ...

What say you?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
no need for that. obviously, a day to day adaptation to the surface is the charm that wimby has. only few manage to achieve that.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I don't like grass. Its funny how they stop the play after very little rain on outdoor hard courts, while players on grass risk injuries all the time. Plus the grass surface isn't the same as tournament progresses. Also on grass server has too much advantage, leaving very little to no room for outplay, making games boring to watch. I'm not sure if it should be clay instead though. Very fast hard court slam, somewhere in Asia would be cool.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Great idea OP, truly superb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts