Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should We Have Automatic Line calling on Tour?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several mistakes from linespeople this week, one where Thiem was forced to challenge on setpoint, this sort of inconsistency is ridiculous when we have another option. Linespeople are human & are bound to be influenced by favourite players etc.

I cannot understand what genius decided to re-introduce them on the two main courts. I say move to a complete automatic system on the tour from now on.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Yes, 100 %. In case people somehow enjoy the "drama" of challenges, we can just keep those. Seeing players fail time and time again when challenging the machine is more than a worthy replacement IMO.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
I thought of making a post like this, thanks OP, though I feel the opposite way.

At first when I saw the courts without line judges I noticed how much faster play went, and how automatic hawkeye calls simplified everything.

Please remember hawkeye can still make mistakes, though not as many as humans.

But the point is the jobs for the linespeople, but also there is an interesting drama in the challanges, and it becomes another part of a player's intelligence on display, their challenges, and I just think it adds to the overall drama of the sport (like the fans) though when removed may be a cleaner, simpler experience, but not nearly as interesting. Or exciting.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Yes, it proved well in Cincinnati and turned out bad in USO.

It's the future for tennis, just like netcord judges gone missing.
I think the way going on now is useless ,like delaying a relationship break up . You know what the future awaits . This is a sad break up from human eye and error too.

I thought of making a post like this, thanks OP, though I feel the opposite way.

At first when I saw the courts without line judges I noticed how much faster play went, and how automatic hawkeye calls simplified everything.

Please remember hawkeye can still make mistakes, though not as many as humans.

But the point is the jobs for the linespeople, but also there is an interesting drama in the challanges, and it becomes another part of a player's intelligence on display, their challenges, and I just think it adds to the overall drama of the sport (like the fans) though when removed may be a cleaner, simpler experience, but not nearly as interesting. Or exciting.
The best way in my opinion , is to make the change for Grandslams already, authomatic line call andD keep the challenges but with REAL BOUNCE tech , just in case and for drama purpose

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,598 Posts
I think the way going on now is useless ,like delaying a relationship break up . You know what the future awaits . This is a sad break up from human eye and error too.

The best way in my opinion , is to make the change for Grandslams already, authomatic line call andD keep the challenges but with REAL BOUNCE tech , just in case and for drama purpose
but is there a pt for challenges if there is auto line call? You know you cannot win against the line call.

·
10,858 Posts
Rough on peoples careers though

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
but is there a pt for challenges if there is auto line call? You know you cannot win against the line call.
yeah that's why I said if wanna keep the challenges , the challenge would be on hawk eye tech but with the Real Bounce tech which is reliable 100 % , margin of error don't being an issue no more .

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
They could find other ways to employ more people. Bottom line is that hawkeye line calls are just way better than using humans. Sure there is some level of error with hawkeye, but we already rely on it anyways because of the challenge system.

·
Your visions will happen
49,952 Posts
Yes, the time has clearly come. For the tournaments that can afford it that is. Someone mentioned the net judge going away due to Cyclops technology. It is what it is. We went from horse and buggy to car, from canoe to steamship, from Pony Express to Railroad

Automation has come to tennis. Line judge jobs will slowly filter out, yes. But don't blame China, blame the bottom line.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Is that even a question?LOL

·
justice for all
16,771 Posts
Yeah, it’s the future of line calling to have it all automated. My only concern right now is that this system is quite expensive so not affordable in all tournaments/ venues - especially of lower tiers like Challangers or Futures.
So for the time being they’d have to keep two parallel systems anyway.

·
Registered
19,031 Posts
This is like the 3rd topic on this, its still a yes.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

It seems to be very reliable, at least on hard court. Maybe on clay, people will prefer to check the mark, as the machine still has a small margin of error (3mm, according to the article above)

For big tournaments who can afford the system, this should be a no-brainer.

The tennis.com article asks "What will matter is (1) whether installing Hawk-Eye Live on every court is cheaper than hiring and housing hundreds of officials ". I guess this system is quite expensive, requiring equipment and a installation/operation team that travels from the company headquarter. While many line judges are volunteers who are often local and only get their expenses reimbursed.

·
Registered
10,845 Posts

Realbounce probably can't compete with Hawkeye at slams yet, since they are late to the party and probably more expensive, too. They will probably work up their way up by targeting the most successful/richest ATP tournaments, then go from there.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Realbounce probably can't compete with Hawkeye at slams yet, since they are late to the party and probably more expensive, too. They will probably work up their way up by targeting the most successful/richest ATP tournaments, then go from there.
haha ok yeah it was just an idea without thinking throught it , I just came across a post of yours on google

Had to google Real Bounce, which led me to Foxtenn's In&Out system, or IO.

It looks like it requires more equipment than HE (40 cameras at court level vs 10 cameras high up), I wonder how they stack up against each other cost-wise. IO seems more accurate than HE, though.
Sounds expensive for a Slam , so no. It is probably too expensive to have both systems and be fair applying to every court .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts