Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should warnings/ penalties be carried over from match to match

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
justice for all
18,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some players get more warnings/ penalties than other players but they usually get away with it. A clinical example of it are time violations - sometime umpires give them to notorious between-the-points time abusers only near the end of a match. They win and start their next match with a clean account.

Don't you think it would be fair to carry over the warnings/ penalties from match to match within the same event? The new event would be another story of course but at least during one event there should be some tool in place to combat excessive time or racket or other un-sportsmanship behaviour abusers.

I think it's a good idea. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
No.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Not sure but interesting idea

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
A unit to which you measure something in sport is a match, race, fight. It is finite and complete on it own as a measuring tool for who is better at whatever. You either win or lose.

If you brought stuff into the match from the past matches, you could never objectively decide who is better, since one player would start with a handicap – not to mention the mental handicap of not having a clean sheet as they start. It would ruin the very idea of sports and competition.

TLDR; No.

·
justice for all
18,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A unit to which you measure something in sport is a match, race, fight. It is finite and complete on it own as a measuring tool for who is better at whatever. You either win or lose.

If you brought stuff into the match from the past matches, you could never objectively decide who is better, since one player would start with a handicap – not to mention the mental handicap of not having a clean sheet as they start. It would ruin the very idea of sports and competition.

TLDR; No.
Your argument doesn't hold water to my mind.
Because they do it in other sports, e.g. football - yellow cards accumulate and red card penalties are carried over from one match to another within one series of competition.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I think they shouldn't be carried on, but if you accumulate enough in a season you should be fined a fixed amount for each additional warning/penalty, so that some players can control their behavior a bit better.

Reactions: guitarra and Bakano

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Because they do it in other sports, e.g. football - yellow cards accumulate and red card penalties are carried over from one match to another within one series of competition.
That's because there, the actor in the competition is a team, not individuals. Transferring red or yellow cards of an individual in a team of 11 players is hardly the same as doing it to 1 tennis player, 100m sprint athlete or golfer.

And if anyone behaves in such a egregious manner that it should impact their next match, there are other mechanisms like bans.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
I rather not, I don't like the idea of a penalty-handicapped player in Tennis. I like better the fines proposal by raysun68.

·
Registered
776 Posts
That's because there, the actor in the competition is a team, not individuals. Transferring red or yellow cards of an individual in a team of 11 players is hardly the same as doing it to 1 tennis player, 100m sprint athlete or golfer.

And if anyone behaves in such a egregious manner that it should impact their next match, there are other mechanisms like bans.
This.

Is there any individual sport which has something like OP suggests?

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
yeah ..... while at it, they should not count the points won, but the winner should be determined by behavior on court, support from the crowd, and by esthetics of play. Tie breaker would be the number of Edberg sportsmanship awards the player has.

To summarize it, the Swiss balerina should win all the tournaments until retirement .

Reactions: ivanban
1 - 12 of 12 Posts