Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Technically, this should be possible nowadays. The translations could be displayed on the screens, and appropriate code violations could be issued.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Paire got obscenity warning yesterday when he yelled - "shit, shit, shit!", but got nothing for saying "merde, merde, merde".

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
John McEnroe, born in Germany, used to swear in German on court. It was rather funny when he got an umpire in one of his matches who also spoke it.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I wonder why they don't swear more often.

When I play a match I swear all the time, of course to myself and it's rather quiet but it is like 90% of my conversation with myself during a match: "you fucking idiot, play that fucking ball higher above that damn net" "am I fucking stupid or what" "you fucking fuck". and of course: "FUCK !!!!!". Besides - Polish language is tailor made for swearing with millions of options for declination :))))

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Technically, this should be possible nowadays. The translations could be displayed on the screens, and appropriate code violations could be issued.

What do you think?
plz enlighten us how so, swearing in foreign languages and dialects is probs the holy grail of live translations if the swearer is aware and uses hardly known terms.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I wonder why they don't swear more often.

When I play a match I swear all the time, of course to myself and it's rather quiet but it is like 90% of my conversation with myself during a match: "you fucking idiot, play that fucking ball higher above that damn net" "am I fucking stupid or what" "you fucking fuck". and of course: "FUCK !!!!!". Besides - Polish language is tailor made for swearing with millions of options for declination :))))
:lol: This is so true. I think I'm generally considered a polite person but when I play tennis a chav comes out.

It would be very detrimental to some players to try to stop them from swearing, just temper them when they get loud.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Paire got obscenity warning yesterday when he yelled - "shit, shit, shit!", but got nothing for saying "merde, merde, merde".
Paire should just say "merdevine" -- he still gets to say "merde" but he can also argue that he's just saying "ladder" in Serbian. :p

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
A saw a WTA player who once shouted "dirty whore" on court (clearly audible in the stream), but it remained unsanctioned as only Luxembourgers could understand it.

It's really an unfair competitive advantage ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts