Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question very much worth asking. Should the 8th seed be replaced with a WC?

Jannik Sinner was given a WC to the Next Gen Finals and was a very deserved winner of the event.

Now going to the ATP finals it was quite clear to many of us that Medvedev was going to be a complete punching-bag (see Isner 2018, alt-PCB 2017, Monfils 2016, Ferrer 2015.....)

Times when we know the player going to event is only going to get toyed with - no matter the draw. Should the 'now deserving 8th seed' just get good money in order to stay away? Hands up everyone who didnt see Medvedev going 0-3 in this event...

I would have replaced Medvedev with Wawrinka pre-event (as i believe all of us would have). Why Medvedev and not Berrettini someone might ask - the reason is have Berrettini kicking Medvedev's ass.

Discuss.

For whatever its worth, i know Sinner was deserving entry.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
No.

You need to earn.

Why give the 8th spot to anyone other than 8th in race.

Nextgen does it as its publicity event. They use themas guinea pigs ha

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
No, it would be very unfair on the 8th ranked player, and who decides on the 'more deserving' WC and what criteria would be used or would it just be a way forwhoever decides it to reward a favourite player or country.

Reactions: Kat_YYZ

·
justice for all
14,424 Posts
I'm OK with a wildcard if it replaces one of dull/ faker.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
ATP finals host should give multiple wildcards: 8 is the optimal number, methinks.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
want to go to the WTF? Getcherself ranked at 8. Simple.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your logic is flawed. Even if there were some kind of Wildcard, Berrettini would have been the one to be replaced. Certainly not Medvedev.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
If Murray doesn't qualify for the next year, but will be quite close for example in top15, he will be given a WC? It will be the last ATP Finals in London.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your logic is flawed. Even if there were some kind of Wildcard, Berrettini would have been the one to be replaced. Certainly not Medvedev.
Worded it poorly. I meant to replace the obvious punching-bag, not necessarily the 8th seed.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
I have already suggested this. It especially makes sense if a player was number 1 in the world, got injured for a while but has returned with a vengeance at the end of the year.

I say YES!

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Put it this way, who would the spectators have preferred be in the tournament this year, Murray or Berrentini?
Also let’s not forget Andy beat Berrentini in straights just a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
737 Posts
A very interesting suggestion indeed. I couldn't help but imagining the conversation taking place if OP:s suggestion was followed:

Organizers: "So, we are sorry to say, but you are not part of this tournament. You know we have a wildcard spot. We have reserved it for Wawrinka and he takes your place."

Medvedev: "Are you serious? Wawrinka? We have met twice and I never lost. For f*ck's sake, I gave him a breadstick the last set we played."

Organizers. "We are sorry Sir, but the audience just loves his backhand down the line."

Medvedev: "Fair enough, I can see you want Wawrinka in, but why take my spot? What about Berrettini, he finished last of the eight, didn't he?"

Organizers: "Yes he did, but we have reliable sources saying he would kick... sorry... we have reliable sources saying he would beat you if there ever was a match."

Medvedev: "You gotta be kidding me. I defeated him the only time we met. Sure, it was a hard-fought victory, and he may have improved since then... but still. I have never lost to the guy. And what about Tsitsipas, shouldn't he leave, instead of me? He is ranked below me, and I have defeated him five times during the last two years."

Organizers: "Sorry Sir. We must have something for the female part of the audience. The women think he looks like a Greek God, we cannot afford to lose them now, can we?"

Medvedev: "Okay, I see your point. That m*therf*cker is a good-looking son of a b*tch. But still, why me? I have played pretty well this season, haven't I?"

Organizers: "Yes you have had a great season, and we are sorry to have it like this. But you must understand. We have already covered Berrettini, Wawrinka, and Tsitsipas. And for the rest, well, you know, Zverev is the defending champion, we can't leave him out, can we?"

Medvedev: "Yeah, sure, I see your point. But Thiem, he is not much of a player on hardcourt, now is he?"

Organizers: "Well, that would have been true some time ago, but he has picked up his game on hardcourt don't you think. Even indoors, actually. He just won Vienna, you know."

Medvedev: "Okay, I understand. Now we have covered all but big three, I see where this is going. Nadal and Djokovic are fighting for the number one spot, we can't leave them out, obviously. But then again, what about Federer? Isn't he too old to keep fighting? Doesn't he deserve a rest? If he can't make the decision himself, shouldn't you help him to take it easy? By now, don't you think Mirka and the kids deserve a break?"

Organizers: "You are probably right, but he is very popular with the audience. I'm not sure we could fill the arena with tickets this expensive if it wasn't for him."

Medvedev: "Yeah, I see, business is business, one gotta respect that. But perhaps I could at least get the alternate spot. Chances are some player withdraws, and in that case, I think I would make a good alternate."

Organizers: "I'm afraid we can't do that, Sir. We have already reserved that particular spot for Jannik Sinner. He is the future, you know. We are sorry to say, but you're more like old news yourself. If the final would have been played a month ago, that would have been a different matter."

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I guess OP made a lot of money betting on Nadal when the obvious punching bag Medvedev was leading 5-1 in the third set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A very interesting suggestion indeed. I couldn't help but imagining the conversation taking place if OP:s suggestion was followed:

Organizers: "So, we are sorry to say, but you are not part of this tournament. You know we have a wildcard spot. We have reserved it for Wawrinka and he takes your place."

Medvedev: "Are you serious? Wawrinka? We have met twice and I never lost. For f*ck's sake, I gave him a breadstick the last set we played."

Organizers. "We are sorry Sir, but the audience just loves his backhand down the line."

Medvedev: "Fair enough, I can see you want Wawrinka in, but why take my spot? What about Berrettini, he finished last of the eight, didn't he?"

Organizers: "Yes he did, but we have reliable sources saying he would kick... sorry... we have reliable sources saying he would beat you if there ever was a match."

Medvedev: "You gotta be kidding me. I defeated him the only time we met. Sure, it was a hard-fought victory, and he may have improved since then... but still. I have never lost to the guy. And what about Tsitsipas, shouldn't he leave, instead of me? He is ranked below me, and I have defeated him five times during the last two years."

Organizers: "Sorry Sir. We must have something for the female part of the audience. The women think he looks like a Greek God, we cannot afford to lose them now, can we?"

Medvedev: "Okay, I see your point. That m*therf*cker is a good-looking son of a b*tch. But still, why me? I have played pretty well this season, haven't I?"

Organizers: "Yes you have had a great season, and we are sorry to have it like this. But you must understand. We have already covered Berrettini, Wawrinka, and Tsitsipas. And for the rest, well, you know, Zverev is the defending champion, we can't leave him out, can we?"

Medvedev: "Yeah, sure, I see your point. But Thiem, he is not much of a player on hardcourt, now is he?"

Organizers: "Well, that would have been true some time ago, but he has picked up his game on hardcourt don't you think. Even indoors, actually. He just won Vienna, you know."

Medvedev: "Okay, I understand. Now we have covered all but big three, I see where this is going. Nadal and Djokovic are fighting for the number one spot, we can't leave them out, obviously. But then again, what about Federer? Isn't he too old to keep fighting? Doesn't he deserve a rest? If he can't make the decision himself, shouldn't you help him to take it easy? By now, don't you think Mirka and the kids deserve a break?"

Organizers: "You are probably right, but he is very popular with the audience. I'm not sure we could fill the arena with tickets this expensive if it wasn't for him."

Medvedev: "Yeah, I see, business is business, one gotta respect that. But perhaps I could at least get the alternate spot. Chances are some player withdraws, and in that case, I think I would make a good alternate."

Organizers: "I'm afraid we can't do that, Sir. We have already reserved that particular spot for Jannik Sinner. He is the future, you know. We are sorry to say, but you're more like old news yourself. If the final would have been played a month ago, that would have been a different matter."
Best post of the season right here :)

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,094 Posts
Worded it poorly. I meant to replace the obvious punching-bag, not necessarily the 8th seed.
That is still Berrettini who has no pedigree.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts