Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes. But even if there is, Nadal will find another way to slow things down. It is inevitable. The commentators were saying multiple times that his first serves were after the shotclock went to zero, so you would expect at least a soft warning from the umpire, but no. The rules will either not be enforced, or Nadal will find another way. It's just the way it is. As soon as he saw Thiem's concentration was shot, he stopped wasting time and started playing faster.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
100%. Was crossing my mind a lot during the Thiem-Nadal final just now. Nadal would barely make it in time for the 25 second first serve clock, and then would take like another 20+ second until he hit his second serve.

Allowing players to do this completely negates the whole point of the shot clock. It should be something like 25 seconds in between points to hit your first serve, then maybe 15 second after that to hit your second. Even that's being pretty generous.

We have a huge problem when the likes of Nadal are taking 25 seconds for BOTH the first and the second. It was just bizarre seeing Nadal bounce the ball 20 times for his second serve. Effects the flow of play, especially for the audience. I can't imagine the opposition likes it.

I'm sure loads of players are currently abusing this system. And why wouldn't they? if the tour doesn't measure the second serve time then it's asking for players to take advantage. Need an update to that rule ASAP, hopefully next season. Consistency is key with this sort of stuff

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Yes and everyone agrees. It will probably only take ATP/ITF about 5 years to implement this.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
No, and it shouldnt be on the first one. It adds an annoying distraction for players. And most importantly there are external factors like gust of wind, loud fans, ball boy taking extra time to collect balls (that umpires sometimes miss to see), receiver not ready and so on... These irregularities makes some players who naturally dont check clock to sometimes loose a track of time they taking. This can make a big momentum change in a close match. Also i noticed that some players, like Nadal started using it to their advantage, like getting to serving position very early and fast, but then bouncing the ball running out the clock to the maximum, which is opposite of what shot clock was intended for, forcing returner stay in position ready to receive for even longer than pre shot clock.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
100%. It was just bizarre seeing Nadal bounce the ball 20 times for his second serve. Effects the flow of play, especially for the audience. I can't imagine the opposition likes it.
You can bet your house that opposition does not like it and that Nadal knows it too well. It's just that the majority of people are too naive and think "this is nothing". Too many naive people in the world, hence the few are making money out of the many:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes. But even if there is, Nadal will find another way to slow things down. It is inevitable. The commentators were saying multiple times that his first serves were after the shotclock went to zero, so you would expect at least a soft warning from the umpire, but no. The rules will either not be enforced, or Nadal will find another way. It's just the way it is. As soon as he saw Thiem's concentration was shot, he stopped wasting time and started playing faster.
If ANYONE would have trouble with this it would be Djokovic! It's funny how every time Rafa trolls ask for a rule and it's implemented it has no effect. Matter of fact, the 1st tourney after shot clock was implemented he won in Toronto :wink2:

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
1st serve shot clock is not applied to Nadal. Umpires call score 5 or 10 seconds after points end on his serve, then start shot clock and he still goes down to 0 seconds most of the time. If Nadal gets to second deuce on his serve game is already 6-7 minutes long. Unreal.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I knew it :lol: You can't give up your streak of irrational post can you.
I seem to explain my point of view in details, you seem to be like Trum, "wrong" and go on with your business :facepalm:

Im not saying there shouldnt be any time limits. I just think old system while not perfect was still fine. Umpires (good ones) still were able to give warnings when player went over time limits, warning between games if average time is to long. Sure we now have a clock, that some spectators love to watch, but it was not a must. In some cases it could be good, in some not. I dont see how that solves anything.

·
Registered
990 Posts
10 or 15 seconds, that's more than enough time, any longer and it would be abused to hell by those with either great 2nd serves or ground game and I think you would definitely see players intentionally faulting in a way that nobody could prove they did it on purpose.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Yes, and it should be no more than 5 seconds, but they'll probably give 10 if implemented.

(the current rule is that the second serve should be hit without delay.., but chair umpires rarely enforce it)

Respectfully,
masterclass

1 - 16 of 16 Posts