Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems kind of weird that it’s always indoors, though it does make a certain sense given it’s December. However, it does favor a certain playing style. That said, probably no one would care if there weren’t such a fierce rivalry going on now.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think so
As the conclusion of masters should be reflective to all the master tournaments
There are at least 2 types of surface in masters: hard/clay;or three if you seperate hard as indoor and outdoors
then should be some surface changing once in a while

I even think master cup should include one or two grass and put alternative master cup between grass/clay/indoor hard/out hard

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Absolutely. Let's not kid ourselves, this tournament's surface based discrimination stems from a deep clayphobia. This bigotry has to end and I propose that as a form of reparations this tournament now be played on clay for as long as it's necessary to rectify this imbalance.

Grass shouldn't even be discussed since it's utterly outdated and a remnant of a painful and problematic past of oppression of claybodied athletes.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Surely. Just look at how many events are played on Federer's preferable Court Pace Index range (30-45) and how many at Nadal's (15-30). Fast-tending surfaces are in majority which is unfair to the guys who actually construct points instead of servebotting.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At least they don’t play on carpet anymore. Anyone seen one of those matches? Personally, I think they should rotate the WTF around the slam locales. That would ensure the same variety that you have over the season. Though I recognize the trouble that presents in terms of adaptation from the indoor season. Still, players do need to adapt throughout anyway—channel slam and so forth. RG will have a roof next year which makes this plausible.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Surely. Just look at how many events are played on Federer's preferable Court Pace Index range (30-45) and how many at Nadal's (15-30). Fast-tending surfaces are in majority which is unfair to the guys who actually construct points instead of servebotting.
Add up the potential points total for tournaments with a lower CPI, and I'm pretty sure you'll find it to be very close to the potential points total for the faster tournaments. (exclude WTF since I propose a rotation)

I'm all for rotating WTF for fairness' sake, something like 2 years hard, 2 years clay, 1 year grass :grin2: And as a counter-balance, extend grass season by one week and introduce a M1000 tournament right after Queens and Halle - why not a brand new one in an under-used country with nice grass and weather, such as Portugal?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Like it is weird for Wimbledon to be held on grass every year.

If anything WTF should be on an indoor fast court. Whether that is grass, hard, carpet, wood does not matter.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Seems kind of weird that it’s always indoors, though it does make a certain sense given it’s December. However, it does favor a certain playing style. That said, probably no one would care if there weren’t such a fierce rivalry going on now.
I honestly don't understand why this conversation keeps coming up. Why is it weird that it is always indoors? There is absolutely no logical reason why the ATP Finals should rotate their surface when not a single other tournament on the tour rotates their surfaces (other than the Olympics, which isn't an ATP event). Is it 'weird' that Roland Garros is always played on clay? Is it 'weird' that the Australian Open and the Miami Open are always played on outdoor hardcourts?

On the contrary, I think always playing the ATP Finals indoors is both logical and fair. It is logical because the tournaments leading up to it are all indoors too (Basel, Paris Masters, Vienna), and tennis tends to be played in micro-seasons for each surface (hardcourt swing, then clay, then the grass season, then fast hard and then indoors). It is fair because 4/4 Grandslams and 8/9 masters events are played outdoors, which benefits players who prefer those hotter/windier conditions. Don't players who prefer indoor conditions deserve a major event that suits them for a change?

Let Wimbledon stay on grass. Let Roland Garros keep to clay. Let the ATP Finals remain indoors. Having different surfaces/conditions during the season is what makes this sport interesting for the fans and allows players with different strengths/weaknesses to have their chance to shine.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i think its nice for the indoor season to have a big event so indoor hard works fine for me, but i can see rotating to indoor clay on occasion maybe.

·
King Of Tennis
2,268 Posts
What exactly is weird about it being on indoor hardcourt when it's placed during the indoor hardcourt season on the calendar? :confused: There are already Slams on outdoor hard, clay and grass.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts