Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
does canada have any tennis facility that would even be capable of hosting such an event?. i dont think so. even if it did there's no way this would ever be allowed to happen

·
Premium Member
20,564 Posts
does canada have any tennis facility that would even be capable of hosting such an event?. i dont think so. even if it did there's no way this would ever be allowed to happen
Not that I know of. The Rogers Cup Toronto site is laughable. I mean the main stadium is kind-of okay for a M1000 (barely), but the surrounding courts are like high-school stuff. (Mind you if there are no live audiences, they can just get rid of those creaky roll-away bleachers they call seats at Grandstand and other side courts.) This venue is also on a university campus. Uni is not in session when Rogers Cup is played (August), but it's a pretty busy place in September.

You'd have to re-purpose two stadium venues: Rogers Centre (currently used by Toronto's baseball team; it has a retractable roof!) and Scotiabank Arena (currently used for NHL hockey and NBA basketball). Exhibitions have been held in big non-tennis venues (like Madison Square Garden) so it's not impossible. But that means tennis would take over all of Toronto and displace those other pro sports that use those buildings (assuming they have returned from their postponement and are being played).

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,519 Posts
Antarctica is probably the only continent without the virus. I know someone working there and they are free of coronavirus concerns. Might be worth thinking about.

·
6,189 Posts
Antarctica is probably the only continent without the virus. Might be worth thinking about.
This is not as silly as it sounds.
Since Antartica has no recognised territories, and no one has any legal claim on the continent.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I had been speculating that the Roland Garros organizers might move their tournament to Gilligan's Island, but now it's looking like it's going to be the U.S. Open instead. ;)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Antarctica is probably the only continent without the virus. I know someone working there and they are free of coronavirus concerns. Might be worth thinking about.

Yes, but rounding up enough penguins to fill a stadium might be a tad problematic. ;)

·
Registered
21,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Depends on which venue in Canada as Montreal has admittedly been homogenised while Toronto not so much apparently. I don’t need to go into who these conditions help more. Iceland anyone-artificial surface that wouldn’t b too far off current USO?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,519 Posts
Yes, but rounding up enough penguins to fill a stadium might be a tad problematic. ;)
I cannot guarantee that there is no other life on Antarctica.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Yup. They should paint the ice surface accordingly: green for Wimby, blue for USO and orange for RG. Good news for the organizers - most matches would be scheduled in the prime time (night sessions in Antarctica).

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
The US Open must be played in New York City. Period and end of discussion. If New York City is not viable because of the pandemic, then it will be best to take the 2020 version of the US Open behind the barn and pull the trigger

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The US Open must be played in New York City. Period and end of discussion. If New York City is not viable because of the pandemic, then it will be best to take the 2020 version of the US Open behind the barn and pull the trigger

Well, it might be a bit kinder to just put it on a raft and then let it float down the Hudson. ;)

Seriously, if the U.S. Open is moved out of the country, how can it still be considered the U.S. Open?? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
At this point, we might really just stage a grand slam somewhere far away from humanity for the purpose of having at least one slam and some entertainment for the people staying at home.

We can forget tennis in stadiums for a long time. But it could happen in smaller venues with strict rules. At least you would continue life and give it a shot.

Of course, that is like a 0,1% chance, so we just need to keep starving for a while.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Sport will return in one big bang. As soon as 1 major event occurs every other one will follow. There's simply too many jobs at stake.

Let's see what the American sports and the European football leagues do as that will indicate what will happen with tennis.

·
|
14,082 Posts
New York probably won't even be viable in 2021.
We should lay the groundwork for moving the US Open to another state long-term.

·
|
14,082 Posts
Sport will return in one big bang. As soon as 1 major event occurs every other one will follow. There's simply too many jobs at stake.

Let's see what the American sports and the European football leagues do as that will indicate what will happen with tennis.
But New York is in a very different situation to the other states, so sport won't return to New York (or California either).
Sport can return to other states in America.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts