Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The way I look it is that Andy Murray played great tactical tennis against Novak and he took the guy to five sets. He drew the rallies out and made the points long hence tiring Novak considerably. Novak therefore was fatigued going into the final both mentally and physically. Stan took advantage of this and therefore won his second slam.

If Andy hadn't been such a fighter in the semi-final, perhaps Novak would now have his hands on the trophy he so deserves.

Stan .... you owe Andy a big drink mate.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It's the opposite. Playing 3 sets and 2 sets in 2 days helped Djokovic. It allowed him to recover faster and to keep his rhythm. He wasn't rusty at the beginning of the game unlike Stan.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I think there is no way Djokovic could have won against Wawrinka today. Not Djokovic. Wawrinka played incredibly aggressive and effective tennis, very hard to contain even on clay.

Incidentally, I think some of the changes the FO organization made (balls, clay mix, etc) which were causing balls to bounce lower, and which ironically were probably conceived to help Djokovic against Nadal, ended up screwing him against Wawrinka.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
It's the opposite. Playing 3 sets and 2 sets in 2 days helped Djokovic. It allowed him to recover faster and to keep his rhythm. He wasn't rusty at the beginning of the game unlike Stan.
Not sure Serbovic agrees:

The clash with Nadal was billed as a potential championship decider while his victory over Murray went to five sets and spanned two days, giving Wawrinka an additional day's rest.

'I don't want to come up with excuses, saying these two matches took a lot out of me,' Djokovic said.

'I don't think that's fair to Stan. I don't think that's fair to sit here and whine about now what has happened.

'Certainly those two matches were very big in terms of physical demand and mental, emotional, as well.
'But, still, I was today feeling pretty fresh as much as I could. I was ready to go out and fight, and I have done so.
'Maybe in some important moments I didn't feel I had that explosiveness in the legs, but at the end of the day he was just a better player.'

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Murray will never win another slam so he is going to need to drink a lot to get over that

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

The clash with Nadal was billed as a potential championship decider while his victory over Murray went to five sets and spanned two days, giving Wawrinka an additional day's rest.

'I don't want to come up with excuses, saying these two matches took a lot out of me,' Djokovic said.

'I don't think that's fair to Stan. I don't think that's fair to sit here and whine about now what has happened.

'Certainly those two matches were very big in terms of physical demand and mental, emotional, as well.
'But, still, I was today feeling pretty fresh as much as I could. I was ready to go out and fight, and I have done so.
'Maybe in some important moments I didn't feel I had that explosiveness in the legs, but at the end of the day he was just a better player.'
"I'm not making excuses, but here are 5 or 6 excuses.", it's lame from his part.
Do you think it was an easier task for Stan to play Fed and Tsonga in RG?

·
Registered
399 Posts
That match was high intensity stuff, the Jokers efforts against Nadal and Andy didn't impinge one jot, great performance from both but Stan took it..

·
Registered
683 Posts
No drinks need to be bought. Novak didn't lose this one because he was tired - he was simply outplayed on the day. Stan was in stunning form, hitting so many winners - tough for anyone to stop when he's playing like that.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts

This is so, so, so, Djokovic. This is one of the reasons why I can't stand him. I'd have no problems if he had said straight out that he wasn't fresh or something like that and nothing else, but he tries to sugarcoat it and on the surface of it he seems to be saying he doesn't want to make any excuses when he actually is!

It's the same with most things he does(related to tennis of course).

1)His applause - Far more often than not, you will see him applaud opponent shots when HE IS AHEAD in the match.
2)Conceding points - he'll make out that he's very sporting by conceding an irrelevant point when he is up a set or something but point to wrong marks on important points.
3)His grunts - get louder and louder on BPs
4)Time between the serves - more and more time between the serves plus the number of bounces increases exponentially depending on when it is. I counted about 14 bounces(!!!) on a Wawrinka BP today.

This is not even to mention his fake MTOs. And people wonder why he isn't liked as much as others...

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Nole definitely didn't lose because the semi went into a 2nd day.

That's nothing for him.

In fact, Murray should buy Wawrinka a drink for this: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=649265
Yes physically that's absolutely nothing for him but it did take its toll mentally. When Wawrinka could relax the whole day and prepare for the final, Djokovic still had to go out and beat a fired up Murray. Huge difference imo.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
This is so, so, so, Djokovic. This is one of the reasons why I can't stand him. I'd have no problems if he had said straight out that he wasn't fresh or something like that and nothing else, but he tries to sugarcoat it and on the surface of it he seems to be saying he doesn't want to make any excuses when he actually is!

It's the same with most things he does(related to tennis of course).

1)His applause - Far more often than not, you will see him applaud opponent shots when HE IS AHEAD in the match.
2)Conceding points - he'll make out that he's very sporting by conceding an irrelevant point when he is up a set or something but point to wrong marks on important points.
3)His grunts - get louder and louder on BPs
4)Time between the serves - more and more time between the serves plus the number of bounces increases exponentially depending on when it is. I counted about 14 bounces(!!!) on a Wawrinka BP today.

This is not even to mention his fake MTOs. And people wonder why he isn't liked as much as others...
I do have to point out that I was impressed today when at a very important moment (Stan had been down 0-40 and had recovered to 30-40, so it was Novak's last BP), Stan hit a service winner that was called out as Novak hit the attempted return. Umpire overruled the out call and gave the point to Stan, saying it was a late call. Novak didn't challenge the ump or act up or argue at all (which almost all players would have done, especially at such a critical juncture!), he just nodded and went to the deuce court.

I was really impressed by that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts