Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should Simple Racket Smashes and Ball Throws be Continued As Code Violations?

• Yes, both shouldn't be considered as Code Violations.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Yes, but only basic racket smashes shouldn't be considered as Code Violations

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Yes, but only ball throws shouldn't be considered as Code Violations.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the rules are fine as it is.

Votes: 11 52.4%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
23,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This had me thinking when I saw Troicki breaking two rackets on separate occasions during one game. The first was due to a very good Monfils winner I think, which after he smashed a racket due to frustration about not being able to do anything. I understand that it looks ugly especially if it is quite audible. However, the second racket smash seem to be more "polite" -- rather than directly smashing it, the racket was broken to half by stomping on it's neck breaking it. I don't think it made any noise, but the umpire still gave him a code violation (which gave Monfils a 15-0 advantage at the start of his service game). I though the latter was a bit overkill -- it was done quite discreet to degree without trying to get attention, yet he gets a violation.

Maybe it is a code violation on sportsmanship rather than racket abuse, but I feel that there has to be some way that players could let out their stress, and the players pay for the rackets anyway that I don't see the problem of breaking rackets that doesn't affect others just to let it out. Unlike other sports, there is no direct support team that could calm you down -- it's a very lonely sport. On ball throws the same, although this is more understandable if it hits the stadium. However, I think if they give violations even when it is inside the court, that seems to be over too IMO, especially if it's projection is upward but going straight back to the player.

What is your say on it? Should they stop it or at least tweak it a bit or do you think it's fair enough?

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I don't think racquet smashes should get penalties. I'm undecided on balls hit in anger.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Racquet smashes no. Ball strikes yes.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Interesting topic, very controverse lately with Kyrgios and Troicki. The truth is that tennis isn't gentlemen sport anymore, only relict from these times is Wimbledon. It's not about the playing style, but about the overall enviroment, which has changed a lot from the old times, tennis is much more influenced by various cultures and their codes about what's appropriate and what's not. Racquet smashes are more common, ball abuses too, players ventilate their anger more through this behavior and then they get penalised. For me, the racquet smashes are worse, but it's a way for players to ventilate their stress. On the other hand, they get only warning for one breaking, they can calm down after it. The ball abuse rule is there obviously for tge ball distribution, the umpire and ball boys/girls need to know how many balls they have, otherwise there wouldn't be anything bad to hit a ball somewhere. Overall, I wouldn't cancel any of them, the players still have to behave.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,385 Posts
Wasting the planet's resources for no reason is a no-no for me so racquet smashes should be penalised even more heavily. Ball strikes, if not directed at anyone is not big of a problem but still it's bad conduct.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Racquet smashing is stupid to me because it serves no purpose. It's a waste of resources and a cop out if the player truly blames the stick. If a player really wants to hit something they should do it Youzhny style and take a whack at themselves, lol, or yes, take it out on the ball.

With that said, the penalization of such an act, if at all, should come from the sponsors, not the tournament.

The only argument I could see for keeping it around is the age old "slippery slope" concept, which is to say that they prefer the rule stay altogether to keep players from getting even further out of hand.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Am I the only one around here who actually like the traditions and the way you are supposed to act in a certain manner when playing tennis?

Don't get me wrong, it can be entertaining seeing racquet smashes etc, but they should always result in a code violation. The same goes with foul langugage. It simply does not belong on a tennis court imho :)

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Am I the only one around here who actually like the traditions and the way you are supposed to act in a certain manner when playing tennis?

Don't get me wrong, it can be entertaining seeing racquet smashes etc, but they should always result in a code violation. The same goes with foul langugage. It simply does not belong on a tennis court imho :)

I'm on the fence about it.

When I coach team tennis, I hate to see it. It's not how I want my players to behave on court because they represent more than themselves. When it's the other team I find it equally annoying - one girl last week was so bad that she literally whined during the point.

But in general I don't mind players expressing themselves with things like letting out frustration when they need to, especially when they are alone out there. You need some kind of outlet. While I don't agree with racquet smashing, I think it's too much to ask them to compose themselves all the time, especially when almost no other sport demands as much from the players.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm on the fence about it.

When I coach team tennis, I hate to see it. It's not how I want my players to behave on court because they represent more than themselves. When it's the other team I find it equally annoying - one girl last week was so bad that she literally whined during the point.

But in general I don't mind players expressing themselves with things like letting out frustration when they need to, especially when they are alone out there. You need some kind of outlet. While I don't agree with racquet smashing, I think it's too much to ask them to compose themselves all the time, especially when almost no other sport demands as much from the players.

I guess it depends on the situation. For example Djokovic in Madrid. Or Feli's "PUTA" scream the other day. I know situations can be frustrating, but when players act like this they should at least get a warning. Feli did, not sure about Djoker

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
Yes they should be considered code violations. Those poll options are confusing in their outline btw, is that intentional? The first option should be "NO, both shouldn't...", not "YES". Meant to vote for the last option
Next

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
racquet producers lobby says yes.

i'd say no.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hell no they shouldn't. They are old and outdated rules.
Why ate they outdated? If anything the reqirements of sponsors and public image in sports means these rules help athletes now in their image, and that is the opposite of outdated, they were years before their time.

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
No. This is isn't golf, players should be able to express their anger.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Most of the sports have similar rules (15 yard penalties for overzealous celebration in football, technical in basketball for throwing the ball of the floor, yellow card in soccer for kicking the ball after the whistle etc), so I would say this is in line and proper.

Once you let few balls fly around, who knows how much it would escalate, better to keep it as a deterrence for future Roddicks and McEnroes

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Racquet smashes should not be anything. But if you break all your racquets, you forfeit the match. That should be the rule. So if you have 6 racquets, and you go nuts and destroy all of them, then you don't belong on the court but a mental hospital.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts