Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should Roger Federer risk returning at the 2020 Tour Finals if he feels ready to play?

• Yes, why not if he thinks he is ready.

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • No, don't take the risk to go for another TF title. Go to Australia early and prepare to win #21.

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Don't know or don't care.

Votes: 7 19.4%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roger is currently still #4 in the Battle for London and is guaranteed a spot if he wants to play.. His rehab and practice is going well.
If he feels ready to play, should he enter the Tour Finals, or should he not take the risk going to London?

What some people don't know or see is that he continues to rejuvenate himself by training with rising young players
With Roger below in Dubai are the 2020 finalists of the Roland Garros Juniors, both of them Swiss. :)

Roger Federer with Dominic Stricker (Champion of 2020 Roland Garros Juniors) - “Roger actually said I should improve my serve. That's what I did actually,” said Stricker. “I think my serve is pretty good now. It helped me a lot here. [RG]”

Roger Federer with Leandro Riedi (Finalist of Roland Garros Juniors) - [About training with Roger] "It was a once in a lifetime opportunity," Riedi said. "It was unbelievable.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Nice topic & idea OP!

Yeah,good question... Hey,I mean if his knee is fine and he feels like he can be competitive it might be a good idea.

... He doesn't even need to win the YEC.I mean all he has to do is adopt some Nadal fans mentality and just beat the guy the won the event the previous year and that alone makes him a 'special winner'... He doesn't even need to make the semi's either in that respect.

·
Your visions will happen
48,556 Posts
No way. Come back when healthy to win #21, not to try to save 310

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He could do it and troll ATP by showing the absurdity of scoring 2019 points for WTF 2020 :)

But of course won't because his training session currently does not exceed 2 hours.
haha :)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Even if he felt up to competitive tennis, three top-level opponents right away in the RR would be too brutal a return. Imagine feeling your way back into form against Thiem or Tsitsipas?

But man, tennis needs him. Nobody on the tour can replicate what he brings to the court.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
With Djokovic in total mental ruins and Nadal not skilled enough to win the tournament with the given conditions, the title is up for grasp, and he should take the chance.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
If he says he's not ready, he's not ready. Man has had 2 decades of experience, I trust his judgment.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No way. Come back when healthy to win #21, not to try to save 310
It depends doesn't it? He could play the event, not necessarily for keeping any records, but just for training purposes and testing the body?
He's not losing any points from last year so he could easily try out the RR stages and give his body some match rhythm. If it's too soon, fine, pull out of the tournament and keep on resting and preparing for AO. If it's fine then maybe he could get some matches under his belt (W would be fantastic for confidence boost, L would be fine because his body was still tested).

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Yes, I miss seeing him lose.

... It's always ironic seeing a Nadal fan wanting Fed to step up to the plate to play the YEC whilst in the same sentence telling their boy Nadal to 'rest up champ' and give the YEC a miss for the gazillionth time in order to not take his licks again.

The privileges they afford their hombre is so quaint.

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
I hope he does

·
Your visions will happen
48,556 Posts
It depends doesn't it? He could play the event, not necessarily for keeping any records, but just for training purposes and testing the body?
He's not losing any points from last year so he could easily try out the RR stages and give his body some match rhythm. If it's too soon, fine, pull out of the tournament and keep on resting and preparing for AO. If it's fine then maybe he could get some matches under his belt (W would be fantastic for confidence boost, L would be fine because his body was still tested).
I am of the belief that you only play when you are prepared. All this "get some matches" nonsense I don't like. If you play, you play to win, if you don't, don't take a spot from someone else

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am of the belief that you only play when you are prepared. All this "get some matches" nonsense I don't like. If you play, you play to win, if you don't, don't take a spot from someone else
I agree, my intent was not that Roger should play just to get some matches, if he decides to play he should go full gass. I just meant that he could try and give it his best shot and just see where he ends up. I mean, Nadal did it in 2017 where he wasn't quite ready and match fit in his match vs goffin because of a lingering injury but still decided to play and later pulled out. Sometimes you just don't know if the body is ready untill you've tried and played a real match ...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts