Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really think it's crazy for Rafa to play the Sunshine Double next year and playing on hard courts right before the clay court season does him no good.

There is only little over 2 weeks from when Miami ends untill the Monte carlo starts, so if he whants the points how about take the tour of Brazil instead with two clay court tournaments in Febuary, one 500 and one 250 pointers.

That's around 750 points pickup right there and I don't expect him to pick up more points from the SD if he plays there,a and best thing he get's almost 1 and half months to heal up and prepare for the real clay court season.

I think it's crazy for Rafa to play back to back hard court masters right before the clay season

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
Yeah, Nadal would be better off skipping IW/Miami and focus on the clay season after AO. But that will largely depend on how hard he pushes himself for the remainder of this season. If he tries to play all of Bejing, Shanghai, Basel, Paris and WTF, I can easily foresee him picking up another injury or knee flare-up during the AO-Acapulco-IW-Miami stretch, skipping one or more tournaments by necessity.

He should be good to go for the next clay season, though. Grass will probably be fine, too, since he can just do some exho matches before Wimbledon. After that, well, that's where things get dicey.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The reason he skipped SD this year is that he retired from during AO, marking the end of a cruel stretch of HC tournaments from which he either withdrew before or during the tournaments because if his knee. If his physical shape gets worse after Shanghai like last year, it would be wise. Otherwise I don’t see Rafa doing the same scheduling like roger especially since 2/3 of the tour are on HC...

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,399 Posts
He needs to start playing tennis and stop with the moonballing. That type of game gets him through the early rounds but it also takes a lot out of him. And in his growing age, the less he’s on the court the better it is for him.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
YOu can't say now. Made great sense last year.
IW has been a v good tourn for him, Miami is too humid for his topspin.

He should def skip DC, and I think all but one Asian tourn, play beijng again if any of them.

If healthy, great opp for points in Paris and London.

·
justice for all
13,103 Posts
I think his ideal schedule should be something like:

Doha (or Brisbane)
AUSTRALIAN OPEN

Monte Carlo
Barcelona
Rome
ROLAND GARROS

Queens
WIMBLEDON